Kassandra (interplanetary compact ship) v3.01, gravity turn? automatic once again!

H2O.

A spaceplane would probably work easily, something along the lines of Scott Manley's (not even gonna try) except stock. The problem would be getting it there.

A spaceplane allow you a TWR < 1. That is something, but that is not enough. Spaceplanes works on Kerbin because you have jet engines available. It is possible to make a closed-cycle SSTO spaceplane with a TWR < 1 on Kerbin, but it is very difficult. On Eve, it would be borderline miraculous.

Now a multiple stages spaceplane, ... Hum, I don't know, perhaps, I have to run the numbers.

Scott Manley's Eve spaceplane works because of the incredible engine he put in there. With this engine, every spaceship is a torchship. In stock KSP, you don't have access to such things.

Edited by H2O.

It is possible to make a closed-cycle SSTO spaceplane with a TWR < 1 on Kerbin, but it is very difficult. On Eve, it would be borderline miraculous.

Now a multiple stages spaceplane, ... Hum, I don't know, perhaps, I have to run the numbers.

Scott Manley's Eve spaceplane works because of the incredible engine he put in there. With this engine, every spaceship is a torchship. In stock KSP, you don't have access to such things.

I know it's OP. You can't read the comments without someone complaining about the ridiculous Delta-V :sticktongue:

I have tried making a closed-cycle plane. The problem is fuel consumption; in the thick atmosphere of Eve, you have to be really high for nukes to overcome their terrible ISP at sea level, and aerospikes, while they're great, have not-so-great efficiency compared to jet engines. Your plane would have to be big; larger than most SSTOs you see.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to take a moment to turn away from the discussion about Eve and just say: that probe is awesome.

Seriously though, for such a tiny little thing it has a rather impressive battery life; enough to survive an aerobraking manuever on the dark side of a planet (wink wink :wink:) and still be able to deploy the panels in time. Plus it can easily circularize a high-altitude orbit around a certain planet :wink:.

That probe is awesome. Seriously though, for such a tiny little thing it has a rather impressive battery life; enough to survive an aerobraking manuever on the dark side of a planet (wink wink :wink:) and still be able to deploy the panels in time. Plus it can easily circularize a high-altitude orbit around a certain planet :wink:.

Well, you don't have to enable SAS during aerobraking: this way, you are sure of being able to open the solars panels. Did you use ScanSat parts on it? That's what I do.

nice to see that you updated kassandra!

Nice to see you are still using it! It is really a matter of polishing right now, well except for the satellite. And by the way, I used your idea of a central reaction wheel on the second stage.

Well, you don't have to enable SAS during aerobraking: this way, you are sure of being able to open the solars panels. Did you use ScanSat parts on it? That's what I do.

Nice to see you are still using it! It is really a matter of polishing right now, well except for the satellite. And by the way, I used your idea of a central reaction wheel on the second stage.

No, I just have it there for the sake of having a probe there :P. Also, I suggested that? Either way it needed it :D. Control systems aren't as great as some of my other rockets, but their good enough. The second reaction wheel will help.

EDIT: I actually put struts in between the command module and the top of the lander. It helps it wobble less. It's a shame they don't reconnect when you dock again, but you could do that manually with KAS :D. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Brownhair2

No, I just have it there for the sake of having a probe there :P. Also, I suggested that? Either way it needed it :D. Control systems aren't as great as some of my other rockets, but their good enough. The second reaction wheel will help.

EDIT: I actually put struts in between the command module and the top of the lander. It helps it wobble less. It's a shame they don't reconnect when you dock again, but you could do that manually with KAS :D. Just a suggestion.

Yes, control are not the most responsive, I will admit that. But it really never bothered me that much, in fact this is one of the most responsive 100 parts + ship that I've ever build! And I think that with the new SAS options, it is just fine.

I hear you on the fact that the command module wobble a little after the Kerbin departure stage is jettisoned. I go back and forth: sometimes I put a strut, sometimes I remove it. There is no obvious solutions. For the sake of roleplaying, I usually undock the command module and turn it around so Kerbals have more room during interplanetary flight (command module + lander). It seems to handle wobble better in that position. But then, beware from which part of the ship you control it! Or you can end up burning in the wrong direction.

BTW, it was KingPhantom that suggested the reaction wheel on the second stage.

BTW, it was KingPhantom that suggested the reaction wheel on the second stage.

:kiss::D

Cool!

Love to help! That's great! :D

ps: i really love the use of the mk3-to-2.5m adapter part! way better than in the older version. now with tons of fuel :D

Edited by KingPhantom

really like how compact it is!

Thanks! It was quite a long process, but all in all really fun to do.

[quote name=

KingPhantom]i really love the use of the mk3-to-2.5m adapter part!

I'm pretty new to this game and have problems getting this craft working.

When i try to open it in the VAB, it says I'm missing parts:

LaunchEscapeSystem

Size2LFB

I've tried opening it in both science and Sandbox mode and still doesn't work. I've unlocked everything in the science tree aswell.

Please help a noob get this awesome craft to work :)

Hello lolpox!

I've just try it on a clean install, and it worked.

Have you any mod installed ?

Perhaps a simple reinstallation could do the trick. Or just replace the files of those two parts with files from a clean install.

OK, i feel stupid now.

I had somehow deleted the "NASAmission" folder. I use several visual mods so all these folders and files gets confusing haha!

So it's working now, thank you very much!

Looking forward to do some missions with this craft =)

Regarding a SAS wheel in the first stage, it will only add roll capabilities. For torque, an SAS wheel should be in an extremity of the ship.

Excuse the off-topic, but this actually the opposite of the truth. If SAS modules applied linear force, that would make sense, but since they directly generate torque, they should be placed in the center of the ship as close to the center of mass as is practical. If you don't believe me, run some tests ;)

If SAS modules applied linear force, that would make sense, but [...] they generate torque

You are right, I have come to the same conclusion. That is why I have decided to install one on the ship. It was one of those things I just believed, without any experiment to confirm. Human brain is weird sometimes, isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys,

I'm currently reworking on the lifter and I have found a possible new solution for my ship.

But I need your opinion.

The new one has 3 boosters instead of 4.

As a result the ship:

• has less parts
  • is less expensive
  • has more delta-v
  • is lighter
  • the 3 boosters thing is just cool, I don't know why but it really is :)

BUT I cannot decide if this is good looking or not. So would you please look at the pictures bellow and tell me if it is OK or not?

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by H2O.

• 2 months later...

3 or 4 boosters? doesn't matter :). both looks great

the only thing that i don't like on the all new 1.0 release: this beauty can't be used again....

i would really love to have a simular ship like kassandra in 1.0 made by H2O.

in honor of kassandra you should give it a new special female name :).

edit: last time i used kassandra: sunday before update 1.0....

it was for a fast trip to duna.

edit2: the satellite needs science :). thermometer and this gkajikaj thing (blue box).

Edited by KingPhantom

Why can't this be used now? Is it a dV issue, a TWR issue, or a stability issue? I was really hoping to add some fins and see if I could get it into orbit later today... I have fond memories of this craft, as a beginner I used it to achieve my first mun landing. I learned a lot by examining how it was constructed.

nice craft mate. Having lots of fun with it

So nice to see that it still works!

But before going on a trip, one should at least remove the oxidizer on the nuclear stage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.