[WIP Plugin](0.90) Burn Together! Alpha v7.0 (3/29/15)

BahamutoD

Hell, just make a formation of space fighters and you have a potential Macross Missile Massacre if staging works. Possibly with kOS timing missile launches?

Wow guys, this was intended for exploration purposes! Not mindless violence!

Joking aside, I worked out a sweet function that makes the followers use rcs to kill their relative velocity to the leader; they become locked in formation. HOWEVER, while attempting to improve it (with really light vessels, the rcs would fire back and forth.. like the old sas wobble), something happened and it doesn't work anymore, even though I swear I returned all the code to the way it was before... :huh:

Pish posh we always figure out a way to kill each other with every mod(KMP,KAS,UbioZur,KOS)Of course unless this also works with rovers...

Too bad it broke I can barely get below .3m/s relative.

Hmm... Surprised no ones asked this yet.... What about drift?

Just going to the Mün, even if your vessels start with zero relative velocity right after the transfer burn, they're likely to drift several km apart by the time you actually get to the Mün with time warp.

Woohoo! Fixed it.. But I have discovered a new issue. At a certain altitude, the followers get confused and start flying away on full rcs blast. Once I fix this, I'll release alpha v2.

Just going to the Mün, even if your vessels start with zero relative velocity right after the transfer burn, they're likely to drift several km apart by the time you actually get to the Mün with time warp.

This is true. I don't know if its possible but I might try to make it so that followers become locked in relative position to the leader while in timewarp. Until then, at least you'll save time on the initial burn, and you'll just have to do the rest of the work when you arrive at your destination the old fashion way.

edit:

Before I break it again, I've released alpha v2. (link in the op).

demo:

Edited by BahamutoD

'Insane laugh' I hope your plug in can handle whackjob-esque creations sir. :) XD

Charon class (With advanced armament mounters):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Infinity class (With the full complement of Stalwart Class Heavy Frigates) Updated version clocks in at near 4000 parts:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by andrew123

Would this work with a dual-launch scenario?

Hmm.... that's another possibility. Imagine, your docking landers to the mothership. Instead of one of a time, launch em all! Perhaps have a docking port option "Dock a follower to this port"?

I mean, you could just launch your mothership all in one piece like me

Great work!

Since it's physically impossible for two vessels to follow the exact same trajectory, this can't be fixed without course adjustments by all followers. Unless all ships occupy the same space at the time of the burn, they won't have the same orbit and it becomes apparent with such long distances.

<rolleyes>

Since it's physically impossible for two vessels to follow the exact same trajectory, this can't be fixed without course adjustments by all followers. Unless all ships occupy the same space at the time of the burn, they won't have the same orbit and it becomes apparent with such long distances.

Um, yeeeeeeaaaah. That's kinda what I just said.

<facepalm>

You are a true coding genius BahamutoD. On other note, how are the animation modules coming? I was totally looking forward to them but wasn't sure if the parts were going to be released.

No genius here, I have the KSP community to thank for all the coding knowledge. Sighh I'll get back to the animation modules and parts.. I promise :P.

'Insane laugh' I hope your plug in can handle whackjob-esque creations sir. :) XD

I've only tested it with small craft; I have a feeling it wont hold up too well to oversized cumbersome lagmachines but you can try.

I'll investigate the max number of followers.hoping for over 100.

There's no limit coded in, so theoretically, as many as the engine/your machine can handle..?

Hmm.... that's another possibility. Imagine, you're docking landers to the mothership. Instead of one of a time, launch em all! Perhaps have a docking port option "Dock a follower to this port"?

I mean, you could just launch your mothership all in one piece like me

Great work!

This would definitely work well launching a few landers from a moon surface. I don't plan on adding any autopilots though.

Would this work with a dual-launch scenario?

Lets find out!

Theres no staging yet, so I settled for calling them ICBMs.

Multiple landing test: (3 landers)

Cool!

One question: is there a way to make another craft to stay at a certain distance and won't move?

Because i want to grabble it with a arm using infernal robotics (fix is being made atm) and dock it to the station.

I forgot to reply to this. The current version has this capability.

Edit:

Also, I did a test of 2 relatively large ships (the ones in the first post title image) doing a transfer burn to Jool orbit altitude over Kerbol (I was too lazy to actually wait for the transfer window), and they ended up about 690km away from each other at apoapsis over Kerbol (65 Gm). Not too bad, all things considered.

Edited by BahamutoD

Does it work with .23 (no ARM)? And I'm assuming it will work just fine with MechJeb controlling the lead ship? Think this might be just what I need. The station keeping feature alone will be incredibly useful. And I wanna see someone land a hundred landers at once. No need for gear control, plenty of parts packs have fixed landing gear.

Yeah its just using the stock SAS. Eventually I'll change the steering code so it doesn't rely on that and it will just point to wherever the lead ship is pointing regardless of it's sas status. Right now I'm trying to figure out staging, and gosh.. its so difficult. The method for staging a rocket normally only works on the active vessel, so I have to do some hacky stuff to fire another vessel's staging remotely.