[1.3.X - 1.6.X] Speed Unit Changer - More units for your speed - Ap & Pe on your Navball

lttito

On 29/5/2017 at 5:12 PM, Bit Fiddler said:

are you still working on this mod?  no real traffic here since I posted last November on the Ap/Pe changes I requested.   still would like the display changed to not show speed.  thus the Ap/Pe text lines would be bigger and easier to read.

The reason is if we know our Ap/Pe the speed value is not important.  We just need to see these to burn prograde or retrograde to circularize our orbit or adjust Ap/Pe etc.   the actual speed we are traveling at this time is not important.  so having these numbers bigger would be great as my navball is rather small so the numbers get hard to read.

I'll try to update it this weekend and add an option to remove speed on orbit mode as you suggested :)

Thanks... this 2 lines of text has been one of my biggest complaints about KSP since day 1.   I figure this information should have been on the navball as stock in the very first beta they put out...  but hey that is just me.

Updated to 1.6.1:

Compatibility with KSP 1.3

Added a toggle to show (or not) speed on orbital mode (if altitud mode is enabled and Pe > 0)

Links and description in OP.

Cheers!

Is there a way while using this to toggle between the units used?

For instance, rovers I might want in KPH or MPH...but rockets in M/s, and aircraft in knots...is there a way to toggle/change on the fly and/or set how things are by default with this?

6 hours ago, lttito said:

Updated to 1.6.1:

Compatibility with KSP 1.3

Added a toggle to show (or not) speed on orbital mode (if altitud mode is enabled and Pe > 0)

Links and description in OP.

Cheers!

Thanks for this...  as I said no idea why this function is not stock, when Ap and Pe are the basis of everything you do in KSP once you break Atmo.

18 hours ago, Geredis said:

Is there a way while using this to toggle between the units used?

For instance, rovers I might want in KPH or MPH...but rockets in M/s, and aircraft in knots...is there a way to toggle/change on the fly and/or set how things are by default with this?

yes, you only have to open the window clicking on the tool bar and select the unit you desire. From there on, the speed will be displayed in the selected unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if there's any way to get the true airspeed of a plane? How fast it's moving on its longitudinal axis? At times the surface speed and orbit speed can be very different, yet neither anywhere close to the plane's actual forward speed. Flying a super maneuverable jet, those numbers change rapidly but knowing the true airspeed is vital to keeping it in the air.

Since Kerbin has no wind, wind speed doesn't have to be factored into true airspeed. Unless there's a mod that adds wind?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Daniel Prates said:

This mod is great,  but why can I only see the speed with other units in the 'orbital' navball mode? Regardless of what I do, the 'surface' mode keeps displaying only in m/s!

Are you using FAR or any other mod? I remember people complaining about this mod not working with FAR. Maybe is this or another mod. Please let me know which mods are you using to know which one is conflicting with SUC.

11 hours ago, lttito said:

Are you using FAR or any other mod? I remember people complaining about this mod not working with FAR. Maybe is this or another mod. Please let me know which mods are you using to know which one is conflicting with SUC.

I indeed am using FAR! Could that be it?

Well that's too bad... this unit changer is just perfectly tailored for those who like spaceplanes and planes in general,  as is FAR... its too bad they dont dialogue well together! Should report though that everything else works perfectly,  its only the alternative units in "surface" mode that don't (sadly,  for a low flying craft such as an aeroplane, that is the only one that matters....)

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Is this mod still being supported? Download location shows as unknown to work for latest version.

Although is compiled for 1.3, it shouldn't have any problem with 1.3.1 If you install it and find any, please post it here to find a solution :)

On 29/12/2017 at 9:33 PM, MikeO89 said:

OK I'll try it. I assume I just drop the SpeedUnitChanger folder into the KSP Gamedata folder. I usually use ckan but your mod is not showing up in there.

Yup, usual installment process. No, It does not support CKAN, sorry :(

On 6/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, Mr. Sandman said:

Just to be sure , is this compatible with all KSP versions?I am a RSS/RO player on 1.2.2 and this would be quite fitting (Km/h looks cooler!)

I've personally not tested latest version with 1.2.2, but I guess it should work right. Just give it a go and see what happens :P

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nice little mod, two suggestions:

• No need for three digits of precision to the right of the decimal.  One would be more than enough
  • There are some modes (ie: in orbit??) when it is showing the altitude in m even though I asked that it be km.

Hi, first of all, thanks for your feedback!

For three digits precision, I considered it as if you are in Km you can also have complete precision to the meter (2 units at once).

For certain modes, there are thresholds as I thought it doesnt made sense to me to show units in Km for example if your altitude is 60m

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

One more suggestion:

• Have a mode where you  can show both the speed in m/s as well as the selected speed

Yeah, didnt have that idea, but now thinking about it is really cool to have more than one unit displayed!

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If the source was on Github, people could send you PRs to improve it :-)

https://github.com/lttito/SpeedUnitChanger-mod

I thought I put it on the OP, but maybe it was on the development thread I created, that surely is on the bottom of dead threads, lol

Any PR, suggestion, idea or bug report is really apreciated!

Updated the OP with the github link of the project, that I forgot to add long ago

Edited by lttito

Well, how about letting the user decide on the desired precision?

Also, based on some tests I've done, Stringbuilder is much slower than somple concating, which can be a issue in a heavly modded game.

Finally having to toolbat function as a separate dll is wasteful, if you want to hide to button, set a flag

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.