I really like the looks of the game's planets. [DISCUSS]

Bearsh

I think the planet's just look so beautiful, Even with lowest settings. I applaud the dev's for their game and how they made it look so great, Vall and everything.

I'm heading over to Vall today too.

So what do you guys think?

No argument here! I like how they're all distinct from each other but feel like actual places we might find floating around in space one day. Even Eve, whose stark purple hue is admittedly more of a stretch than the others in my mind, seems like something this whacky universe of ours might produce.

To me, they look just ok compared to how other games today look. They can look good at times, but only really from space, as the planet textures are really not that great, and the terrain especially is very low quality compared to what it could be. The oceans just look like absolute crap though, and they somehow slow the game down more than anything else.

There's no doubting that the planets and moons of KSP look good. Sitting on Laythe with Jool hanging overhead is one of the most iconic and stunning sights the game has to offer thus far, I'd say. I look forward to more incredible views and worlds to explore :)

No argument here! I like how they're all distinct from each other but feel like actual places we might find floating around in space one day. Even Eve, whose stark purple hue is admittedly more of a stretch than the others in my mind, seems like something this whacky universe of ours might produce.

Yeah haha, Does Vall actually snow? Or is that some editing sofware thing nassault uses?

I don't think that way. While they are pretty well done they still feel the same barren rock with a heighmap added and the same texture with a different color. Now add the fact that sunsets and sunrises are reversed (the wrong side gets the orange color) and that the horizon is pretty screwed up (pure white on the bottom) and that the atmospheric effects feel really really dead (no atmo haze for example). Now add the lack of clouds and the simplistic oceans and you realize how dead everything looks.

This Kerbin feels unique and alive.

64DnukP.png

Even without clouds.

T0921L1.png

Kerbin and especially Eve could really use clouds, but yes.

Although TBH I'd probably turn off clouds for performance reasons anyway... I had the game on lowest graphics setting till my Kerbals started falling through the ground... so yah, it's pretty much good as is for me.

Kerbin and especially Eve could really use clouds, but yes.

Although TBH I'd probably turn off clouds for performance reasons anyway... I had the game on lowest graphics setting till my Kerbals started falling through the ground... so yah, it's pretty much good as is for me.

Visual enhancements mod. It has no impact on FPS

Yeah haha, Does Vall actually snow? Or is that some editing sofware thing nassault uses?

It does not snow.

While I do like the look of planets & moons... once you see one vista of a place, you've seen them all, except for Kerbin. The geography and texture work could use some variety. Still, with visual enhancement mods the universe looks mouth-watering :)

They're good enough. It's not as if you're meant to look closely at the textures for long, the game being about a space program :)

Great tradeoff between looks, cost, and performance.

And still on a par with games like MS FlightSim of a few years ago or XPlane even now where you ARE going to look much more closely at the scenery for hours at a time.

I've gotta look into these mods looks really amazing :o

I love the lighting and having seen kerbal space program from back in v 0.8 im amazed how far KSP has come.

os69on.png

(actual image of my first ever orbit) i think this was 0.8, if not 0.9

This is a more flattering image from the early days that said, the terrain when you looked directly down was full of sharp edges, that and the dark side of Kerbin was covered in landmines :sticktongue:

2ih2xy1.png

Kerbal space program 0.8.5

Edited by RedKite

Yes, almost all the planets are giving away a lot of game-atmosphere. However i´d like clouds and some weather effects very much. The Visual enhancements mod is nice, but makes my game crash from time to time regardless of 32 Gigs of Ram and a decent graphic card. I really want something like this become stock. (edit: The clouds not the crashing :P)

Edited by Frank_G

Yes, almost all the planets are giving away a lot of game-atmosphere. However i´d like clouds and some weather effects very much. The Visual enhancements mod is nice, but makes my game crash from time to time regardless of 32 Gigs of Ram and a decent graphic card. I really want something like this become stock.

your 32gb and my 8gb means nothing to ksp :(

I agree with the other people here that stock planets look good good, but with visual enhancements, the atmospheres look amazing.

Well, no atmosphere means no precipitation means no snow...

Edited by LethalDose

To me, they look just ok compared to how other games today look.

Yeah, but I can run KSP on my laptop, unlike most modern games :wink:

Seriously, though, I think KSP is the only game I play that's newer than Spore. I still play Diablo (the original; 1996) and Carnivores (1999, I think).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.