Conqueror-3 - SLS-Apollo Style Mun Rocket.

The Conqueror-3 is an SLS based rocket with an Apollo style mission execution.You fly an "SLS-Pyrios" for the ascent and then a classical "Saturn" for the mun part with the "turn around and dock with the lander" maneuver and everything, even rover, included. To correctly showcase the rocket and its capabilities (given it is presented as a full craft and not as a subassembly) I decided to show you the "full" mission.

Mods required:

Procedural Fairings

Wolf Aerospace - L.E.S. Pack

(Pictures include Kerbal Engineer, but I removed it from the craft. I used my own LES instead of the stock one because of the included and very useful decoupler)

You obviously start at the pad, the rocket doesn't need launch clamps.

6XHHU9y.png

Lift off at any desired time. The pyrios boosters are eject-on-flameout like most things, so no need to picture that.

1AzQvVM.png

Second stage separates from the main block, separate the LES when you think you no longer need it.

4iPywnb.png

Set up your maneuver node and use the second stage to execute it.

xTpIY7J.png

Once you executed your maneuver and you are en-route to the moon, activate the big staging event. It separates the fairings and the CM+SM YOU NEED TO DECOUPLE THE DOUBLE FAIRING RING MANUALLY so you need to EVA someone to get into the lander. This part looks specifically beautiful.

Fmlzs5p.png

Once trash is out of the way (or you push it out of the way with EVAs or the lander), open the solar panels on the SM+CM, turn around and dock with the lander.

G84zxqU.png

07XYDbe.png

When en-route, perform the needed maneuvers, if any. Once at mun, brake into a parking orbit of your desired altitude and transfer another kerbal to the lander.

MDzbsFt.png

Undock the lander from the main module, stage so that the 2 engines on the lander activate and then proceed to lower your orbit (I use 11x11km)

dEnGoCD.png

Land, plant your flag, get some nice text on your plaque, take a commemorative picture, etc.

UtX53Js.png

Separate the rover from the craft with the next stage and get rovin', they'll see you rolling and they will be hatin'.

qsqG1CC.png

Leave the rover behind for future generations to admire, board your lander and lift-off. Don't worry, the rover is cheap.

uRsjhwS.png

After the rendezvous with the SM+CM and corresponding crew transfer, transfer the remaining lander fuel to the SM, undock and burn your way home.

NZ7Z2oT.png

If you take the long road, you can do multiple-pass aerobraking. Make the first pass is 36.5km (you set this heigh when you burn at the Mun), the second should be 40.5km and then circularize the orbit at 75km with the remaining fuel. Once there you can decide where to land.

6PNF66k.png

Once you are ready with your deorbit burn, separate the CM from the SM. I like doing this as my final inclination adjustement, so I separate it looking either north or south.

vj8terD.png

Activate the parachutes early, they won't open until the CM has reached 500m/s so there's no fear of they catching fire. The rest is just waiting.

anek5ar.png

That it.

Download: http://www./view/aawm20oz0wmrn79/Conqueror-3.craft

Edited by PDCWolf

It's insane how you can easily make mun-worthy craft in like 20 parts with the ARM update.

Nice rocket!

Yeah, I remember the previous version (the payload being exactly the same) taking like 200 parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.