[WIP + releases] my Kerbtown buildings - RELEASES ARE ON THE FIRST POST

Hi everyone,

here are some early pictures of things I've made with the updated version by HoneyFox of the Kerbtown plug-in by Razchek.

I have started by just putting back on Kerbin the Wayland Tower by Devo just to be sure the thing works as expected, I put it on the last small island near the KSC.

I've made a "small" tower for VTOL and chopper on another close island, need to texture it now. And yes, it's looks like a chalice, it may be the famous Holly Grail, so big, than no one seen it :).

And the first runway, the "crash flying academy", a short one, 600m long, very close to the KSC, as it's a training school for kerbals who dream to become the next Jeb !

The texture used is just a try, to avoid the white flashy color, and the small thing landed is... an Aeris 3.

Unfortunately for now, I have a big issue which make plug-in crash, I have to sort this out first before moving on and texture it properly.

I have also starting ot work on a small airfield, with a control tower, two big hangars, a parking lot and a landing pad.

My plan is to make a few airfield and one or two airport on Kerbin as well as some buildings like kerbals' appartments near KSC, or other things that makes planes more fun to use.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And no, there is no release, dev-release, alpha-release, or even pre-alpha-release nor "McFly bring to you" release, available yet.

For people who wants to create things like these, I recommend to add foundations below the building, cause flat spot are extremely rare except on both KSC area. You can also put sloping ground which have to be textured with grass/rock/sand or ice textures close to the one used by Squad.

17042014: I've made a new uv mapping + tex for the RPG, look at it.

Former Kerbal Space Center launchpad

release 1.0

Kerbin City International Airport launch site

1.0 download

Rover Proving Ground

release 1.0 download

texture/template

Orbital launchpad

pre-alpha 0.1 download

Crash Flying Academy runway

alpha 0.2 download

Bigger launchpad

0.1 download

Chalice Tower

1.0 download

texture & template

Stunt ring/donut

1.0 download

See above album for pictures.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
stunt ring 1.0 added

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

For now, I've made something which I believe match common landscapes we might encounter on kerbal system bodies.

It is 200 m long, 76m wide, high & low are +12.5m, -5m with almost no flat area.

Don't forget it's on Kerbin, gravity makes bigger slope too hard I think.

Regarding orbital launchpad, if you have any design idea, you're welcome, cause I'm currently run out of idea myself. I haven't choose yet between

- a flat cylinder with chamfered edges and a hole on top for rockets,

- a orbital space station like the one in Echelon game (a mere cross) see below

I have also considered a shape like the 2001 space station (two big rings and a box in the middle with the hangar bay)

The nice thing is it's altitude (100 kms for now), which is ideal for interplanetary mission.

Finally, if I succeed to make something like the snjo's fuel pump, it will be even more usefull.

the Echelon base:

ks0Ka9H.png?1

Edited by Justin Kerbice
add Echelon base pic

Just a note- I tried the oceanic launcher, and... My probe spawned in the middle of the desert.

Then the game crashed.

EDIT: Looking at the game, I have no idea how the platform was even loaded- I don't think it's in the zip file you released...

EDIT2: I'm schtupid.

Edit3: Can you add a ramp for jumping?

Edited by Mekan1k

Just a note- I tried the oceanic launcher, and... My probe spawned in the middle of the desert.

Then the game crashed.

EDIT: Looking at the game, I have no idea how the platform was even loaded- I don't think it's in the zip file you released...

EDIT2: I'm schtupid.

Edit3: Can you add a ramp for jumping?

Are you talking about the oceanic launcher made by honeyfox?

If you are you need Rescale solar system for it to spawn you In the ocean

Hmmm... there iks one thing that could be added to RPG. It's slalom to test steering of your rover.

Not sure it'll be so useful at the end, cause you just have to go to the runway and try to steer left/right at increasing speed until it fail.

Anyway, watching NASA, or other, rover, don't forget they are not racecars :D

If you want one, try the Duna Rover, it works very well on 0.23, suspension arms are longer than stock wheels and torque curves seems to be better, it goes slower, but safer and funnier than any other wheels I tried (stock, Wayland and Rollkage).

I like the moon base parts it would be cool to have more like that. :D

Glad you like it.

To achieve this, I need to know where are most of the flat spots, but people replying to my post in "general discussion" doesn't take it seriously and are not helpful unfortunately.

Or I'll have to create a flat foundation as wide as the chosen crater and with a grey tex looks like Mun surface (bad: memory used) to make it works.

For Mun bases, I think domes are the best thing to use as they are the most common shape, as well as flat cylinder (search for picture of moon bases, you'll see an early preview of a NASA game !) or usually domes connected by cylinders.

I've add a flat 400m foundation block below (see album in st post) the Mun base, launchpad isn't centered because I'll add more "Moon base style" buildings, a com tower, and some domes. I thought of 4 of them in a cross pattern, connected by tubes.

I have also add light poles around the pad.

If you have ideas, you're welcome.

You should aim for some consistency in pixel density when texturing.

Sorry for the late reply, I know, just want to release it as-is at least to let people play with it, it's far to be perfect. Anyone wanting to improve it, be my guest.

This is seriously awsome. The orbital launch pad was something I even put a request out for someone to make, and the rover proving ground is a genius idea, there's nowhere good on kerbal to test rovers. I have two questions however-1, do the launchpads work? The ones with kerbtown have been broken for some time and 2, are you trying to make this into a full release? Because even with the fairly basic textures I will get this the moment it's out on release.

This is seriously awsome. The orbital launch pad was something I even put a request out for someone to make, and the rover proving ground is a genius idea, there's nowhere good on kerbal to test rovers. I have two questions however-1, do the launchpads work? The ones with kerbtown have been broken for some time and 2, are you trying to make this into a full release? Because even with the fairly basic textures I will get this the moment it's out on release.

1. yes and no. For small rockets and plane (SSTO) also rover (yes, I tried :P). But when (maybe) rocket size become serious, something's wrong somewhere and you can't control it except turning on SAS or staging, and launch clamps move on one side very fast through the wall ! I think I found the cause but no (VOID thrown an exception for some reason, removing it makes it work but only once).

I tried with the tallest rocket I can build in stock VAB (7 jumbo fuel tanks inline + mainsails on the bottom + a few things like large SAS modules)

I got a lot of "ground contact! - error: xxxm" in log, search for this doesn't help with this issue.

I have also tried to move spawn point upper without any more luck.

Without those buggy launch clamps, it does the same.

Also, a quite serious issue is you don't get the orbital speed you should have at the given altitude (here 100 kms), but without the need of the dV to get out of Kerbin's atmosphere, it's a fair deal :), as long as you don't go straight, but up.

2. yes, when I get a proper design, eventually.

Lucky you, a pre-alpha/testing/buggy-release stand on my launchpad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.