KVV - Kronal Vessel Viewer = Exploded ship view + Axes on the VAB + other stuff: now released into public domain

kronal

The 1.0 update of KSP has broken the button on the lower right in VAB.

This was fixed on the 1.0 release day (just late in the day)

will this get an update for 102?

Doesn't need an update for 1.0.2. Curse doesn't let you flag a 1.0.2 file. I recompiled with no errors. Its all good ;)

I don't have time to run a full check right now but I suspect KVV is leaking memory pretty harshly. Straight into a new game load to the hanger and opening a vessel I can barely get 3 screenshots before it crashes with an error message that seems at a glance to be telling me that I've pasted the memory limit. Can't confirm it as I said since I'm a bit snowed under atm but just putting it out there in case anyone else has similar.

Great mod either way - amazing for thumbnail pics! :D

I don't have time to run a full check right now but I suspect KVV is leaking memory pretty harshly. Straight into a new game load to the hanger and opening a vessel I can barely get 3 screenshots before it crashes with an error message that seems at a glance to be telling me that I've pasted the memory limit.

Hey Enter Elysium. Started watching your YT series.

If there is a memory leak it's native. Probably an issue with unity. Maybe part of the issue with the last update of the constant loading and unloading of shaders. Try turning the quality of the images down.

I have a hunch it could be some part packs. What parts/mods do you have installed

I can confirm that the higher the resolution of the screenshot, the more memory KSP leaks. On a freshly loaded game, for me, 4 screenshots at highest resolution cause the game to crash due to 32 bit memory limit (in turn due to that nasty habit of KSP to leak memory like a punctured bucket! How I wish this was fixed once and for all... ;.;)

This is a cool MOD, really, to immortalize one's awesome rocketry design. Until the MOD is updated, all I do is use it on a design then quit the game and reload.

This is a cool MOD, really, to immortalize one's awesome rocketry design. Until the MOD is updated, all I do is use it on a design then quit the game and reload.

Until I can isolate the source of the leak; that's what you'll have to do.

I think on the curse page I recommend backing up you KSP Root when using this plug in. It's got lots of ugly flaws.

I wouldn't be surprised if either a) unity 5 fixes these types of leaks or B) with a lot of renders done many times might create the leak as well.

Another theory is that the shader swapping that was increased after a recent patch could be an issue.

• 1 month later...

First time using this mod, and there's something I'm wondering about...

Each time I send a ship out to get screengrab-ed the scale changes. It adjusts based on file quality, but it's always on a default of 3.00. What I want to do with this mod is create a cool line-up of rockets, like if you could see a timeline of my Kerbal's space program. (Something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/MannedSpacecraft.gif) From humble unmanned sounding rockets to Mercury-analogs all the way to a Saturn-V type of thing. I can rescale the pictures later in MS Paint, but it's very tedious. Is there a way within the KVV window to ask him to keep a constant pixel-per-square-meter scaling? So that my small ships create small pics and my big ships create correspondingly bigger pics.

Here's an example of what I mean. http://i.imgur.com/RNd1Cau.png

The rocket on the right is one of my early-in-the-program rockets, with a dinky little 1.25 m body. The one on the left is a mighty late-in-the-game lifter with a 3.75 m body. As you can see the mod scales them so that they look practically the same height. The pixels-per-meter is different. I want the PPM to stay constant.

Edited by PTNLemay

First time using this mod, and there's something I'm wondering about...

I'm sorry PTNLemay I've comment in this thread before why I won't accommodate that feature (too complex actually). Your best bet is to just scale the parts after overlaying them in photoshop.

I don't have time to run a full check right now but I suspect KVV is leaking memory pretty harshly. Straight into a new game load to the hanger and opening a vessel I can barely get 3 screenshots before it crashes with an error message that seems at a glance to be telling me that I've pasted the memory limit. Can't confirm it as I said since I'm a bit snowed under atm but just putting it out there in case anyone else has similar.

Great mod either way - amazing for thumbnail pics! :D

I can confirm that the higher the resolution of the screenshot, the more memory KSP leaks. On a freshly loaded game, for me, 4 screenshots at highest resolution cause the game to crash due to 32 bit memory limit (in turn due to that nasty habit of KSP to leak memory like a punctured bucket! How I wish this was fixed once and for all... ;.;)

For those experiencing the memory leak issue; please try this hotfix.

Edited by bigorangemachine
Whhops

@ BigOrange

No worries, really I'm just glad you saved the mod from being abandoned. Even with my inability to deal with that re-scale thingy it's still a really fun tool to play around with.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

Awesome! Will that download with with KSP 1.0.5? I haven't been able to get KVV to show anything but textures and flags for a while.

I did a smoke test with 1.05 and had no issues.  I'd guess that you have a texture manager of some sort installed?  I don't test with any kind of texture manager.  With 'stock' its been working fine.

The nature of the changes to 1.1 was making the code more specific rather than any changes to the code API itself; so I assume it'll work with 1.05.

Edited by bigorangemachine

• 1 month later...

So it seems like the unity update has got me in a corner where I can no longer maintain the mod without some outside help.

The issue is that on this line is now blocked by the unity update.  You can't create a Material Shader from a string anymore and the one thing I am not is a 3D modeler so I really am lost when it comes to this part of the code.

There are other places where this sort of 'string to material' is used so its not the only place that I had to comment out to stop getting 'pink renders'.

1 hour ago, bigorangemachine said:

So it seems like the unity update has got me in a corner where I can no longer maintain the mod without some outside help.

The issue is that on this line is now blocked by the unity update.  You can't create a Material Shader from a string anymore and the one thing I am not is a 3D modeler so I really am lost when it comes to this part of the code.

There are other places where this sort of 'string to material' is used so its not the only place that I had to comment out to stop getting 'pink renders'.

I don't know if you have considered it or done it yet, but I recommend posting about this to the plugin development help sub forum. It many garner a wider audience, and possibly with more expertise. Good luck and thanks for maintaining the mod!

10 hours ago, Svm420 said:

I don't know if you have considered it or done it yet, but I recommend posting about this to the plugin development help sub forum. It many garner a wider audience, and possibly with more expertise. Good luck and thanks for maintaining the mod!

I intend to. The KSP modding community has been pretty helpful in my efforts; they are always great in the IRC and I was going to try there first. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2016 at 8:58 AM, bigorangemachine said:

I intend to. The KSP modding community has been pretty helpful in my efforts; they are always great in the IRC and I was going to try there first. 

Thanks!

Hey Machine,

Any update with your progress?

Really looking forward to using your mod, hope things are going well.

thanks,

Lem 

Edited by LemJukes

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2016 at 0:38 PM, kiwinanday said:

Is this functioning with 1.1.3?

In 1.1+ some parts do appear overly washed out from the VAB/SPH lighting, like the AV-R8 Winglet.  But otherwise this is still running good.  If you play with the orientation and the viewpoint, you can find a perspective where the parts aren't washed out.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:55 PM, Raptor9 said:

In 1.1+ some parts do appear overly washed out from the VAB/SPH lighting, like the AV-R8 Winglet.  But otherwise this is still running good.  If you play with the orientation and the viewpoint, you can find a perspective where the parts aren't washed out.

All I get is a pink screen in my preview display.

• 2 weeks later...

so when I take a screenshot the file is named "front_vesselname"  This implies some way to take side and top picks, but I fail to see how.   Assuming its a keybind, but the OP Repo is dead now and I don't see any instructions anywhere. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.