Master Thread: Unresponsive Kerbals in EVA

Is nobody going to answer me?!

You dumped your entire SFS file in your forum post, which makes it hard for people to look through to see what the problem is. In the future, please put your SFS file contents onto a site such as pastebin, and then link to the pastebin entry in your forum post.

Ok. Here is a PasteBin link that will show my entire sfs file. Please look through it and tell me what I can do to fix my problem

It looks like your kerbal is missing some state information. This is very unusual, so it makes me wonder if you are using mods, or if this part of the save file has changed in 1.0 (I haven't confirmed).

However, this part is missing from the snippet you posted above.

MODULE
{
name = KerbalEVA
isEnabled = True
[COLOR="#FF0000"] state = Ragdoll
step = 1.208333
packExt = False
lightOn = False
flags = 1[/COLOR]
EVENTS
{

Keep a copy of your save. Put that information in and load it up. See if that fixes your kerbal. As a minimum, you need the state information. Try setting him as Ragdoll. Then when you switch to him, press some keys and that will (hopefully) revive/reset him.

Cheers,

~Claw

It looks like your kerbal is missing some state information. This is very unusual, so it makes me wonder if you are using mods, or if this part of the save file has changed in 1.0 (I haven't confirmed).

MODULE
{
name = KerbalEVA
isEnabled = True
[COLOR=#FF0000] state = Ragdoll
step = 1.208333
packExt = False
lightOn = False
flags = 1[/COLOR]
EVENTS
{

Keep a copy of your save. Put that information in and load it up. See if that fixes your kerbal. As a minimum, you need the state information. Try setting him as Ragdoll. Then when you switch to him, press some keys and that will (hopefully) revive/reset him.

Cheers,

~Claw

That did not work. When I went back to check. That code was gone again

- - - Updated - - -

MODULE
{
name = KerbalEVA
isEnabled = True
[COLOR=#FF0000] state = Ragdoll
step = 1.208333
packExt = False
lightOn = False
flags = 1[/COLOR]
EVENTS
{

Cheers,

~Claw

That did not work. When I went back to check. That code was gone again

• 1 month later...

I have a bug that has a lot of similarities, but isn't identical. I put Jeb in an external command seat on a space station. After I focused somewhere else, did some time warping too, I came back, and he was stuck in the chair but wasn't sitting in it. In the save file, he isn't a separate vessel. He's considered as part of the station! I can right click on him, and I can turn his RCS on and off, but he can't go anywhere. His EVA-ness is also listed as a part of the space station, but its mid differs from the others parts that are on the station. I'm going to pull snippets from my persistent.sfs as it contains about 200k lines:

PART
{
name = kerbalEVA
cid = 4290782026
uid = 337871138
mid = 2550075542
launchID = 29
parent = 22
position = -4.82648611068726E-05,2.13600254058838,1.50091171264648
rotation = -2.093764E-05,-0.7071021,-0.7071115,-1.2376E-05
mirror = 1,1,1
symMethod = Radial
istg = 0
dstg = 0
sqor = -1
sepI = 0
sidx = -1
attm = 0
srfN = , -1
mass = 0.108808
temp = 202.340237725379
tempExt = 202.372394204076
expt = 0
state = 0
connected = True
attached = True
flag = Squad/Flags/marathon
rTrf = referenceTransform
modCost = 108.4533
crew = Jebediah Kerman
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
PARTDATA
{
}
MODULE
{
name = KerbalEVA
isEnabled = True
state = Idle (Floating)
step = 1.208333
packExt = False
lightOn = False
flags = 1

He is also no longer associated with the external command seat in the .sfs file:

PART
{
name = seatExternalCmd
cid = 4283717204
uid = 1040512581
mid = 3889663570
launchID = 40
parent = 3
position = -1.25317868082675E-07,2.05902099609375,-1.4409453868866
rotation = 2.38337E-07,0,0,-1
mirror = 1,1,1
symMethod = Radial
istg = 0
dstg = 0
sqor = -1
sepI = 0
sidx = -1
attm = 1
sym = 22
srfN = srfAttach, 3
mass = 0.05
temp = 203.379101717382
tempExt = 203.377217173194
expt = 0.5
state = 0
connected = True
attached = True
flag = Squad/Flags/marathon
rTrf = seatExternalCmd
modCost = 0
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
PARTDATA
{
}
MODULE
{
name = KerbalSeat
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
BoardSeat
{
active = True
guiActive = False
guiIcon = Board
guiName = Board
category = Board
guiActiveUnfocused = True
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
}
ACTIONS
{
}

These are both under this vessel in the hierarchy:

VESSEL
{
pid = f421d245eb9943e1bbaa5e36ec30c2a0
name = Aleph One
type = Station
sit = ORBITING
landed = False
landedAt =
splashed = False
met = 2692987.71640962
lct = 3223147.12489085
root = 0
lat = -0.0020686399463425
lon = 14.0110517332069
alt = 2871808.35731683
hgt = -1
nrm = 0.9876834,0.004829683,0.1563923
rot = 0.004771356,-0.04372516,-0.001511637,0.9990311
CoM = -0.0003251135,9.324334,0.02644522
stg = 5
prst = False
ref = 4210457764
ctrl = True
cPch =
cHdg =
cMod = 0
ORBIT
{
SMA = 3474083.30259326
ECC = 0.00094608892313072
INC = 0.00278973762619378
LPE = 177.102882003972
LAN = 203.317217672553
MNA = 0.805679382706733
EPH = 5916134.84130047
REF = 1
}
PART
{
name = mk2LanderCabin
cid = 4287576876
uid = 4210457764
mid = 3889663570
launchID = 40

So Jeb is a part of the station, (and TAC-LS is still feeding him from the station supply), but he has a non-matching 'mid' and 'launchID' from the rest of the parts, and he's in an 'idle' EVA state radially attached to the station. :huh: He doesn't seem to mind, of course. This is Jeb we're talking about! But I've got some work for him to do and I need him to get back in the boat.

I've tried editing the station, removing the EVA part completely and adding the line "crew = Jebediah Kerman" to one of the other crew parts with a seat free. It didn't work, and the save just plain wouldn't load. I also tried removing the command seats because I thought maybe Jeb was stuck on it. It turned weird, leaving most of the station just gone, though the two or three remaining visible parts (including the Mk2 Lander Can and a solar panel) were still rigid in relation to each other. I suspect that my problem is in how the parts link to each other, and that maybe if one part is referencing the command chairs or the radially attached EVA and it no longer exists when I load the save, it gets confused. But I don't really know.

Thoughts? I suppose I could try your patch, Claw, but it seemed like these were possibly different issues and I wanted to be careful.

So Jeb is a part of the station, (and TAC-LS is still feeding him from the station supply), but he has a non-matching 'mid' and 'launchID' from the rest of the parts, and he's in an 'idle' EVA state radially attached to the station.

I've tried editing the station, removing the EVA part completely and adding the line "crew = Jebediah Kerman" to one of the other crew parts with a seat free. It didn't work, and the save just plain wouldn't load. I also tried removing the command seats because I thought maybe Jeb was stuck on it. It turned weird, leaving most of the station just gone, though the two or three remaining visible parts (including the Mk2 Lander Can and a solar panel) were still rigid in relation to each other. I suspect that my problem is in how the parts link to each other, and that maybe if one part is referencing the command chairs or the radially attached EVA and it no longer exists when I load the save, it gets confused. But I don't really know.

Thoughts? I suppose I could try your patch, Claw, but it seemed like these were possibly different issues and I wanted to be careful.

This is quite odd. It's been a little bit since I've dug in hard into the crew pieces of a save ship, but generally when they ragdoll in the seat, they don't become a separate part of the ship.

Do not delete the EVA part from the file. It will mess things up. What you could do is replace the EVA part with an inert part, like a cubic strut. Often times it's as easy as replacing the part name, and the game will take care of cleaning up the rest of the modules, etc. Then do the rest of what you say (adding him back to another crewed part. You'll also need to update the Crew Roster with his idx, which is the seat position number in whatever part you put him in. Two kerbals can't be in the same seat...

Really I'd need to see a little more of your save to be able to tell better. Or possibly some pictures. Though you should be able to do the part swap out, so long as you update the crew roster and crew capsule appropriately. Possibly your bug was made worse (or unique) because of other add-ons...?

No, my patch does not address this issue. At least not as you've described it. I'm not sure it would break anything in this case, since it's looking for things specific to a Kerbal on EVA (namely that the kerbal is the only part), but it definitely won't help.

Cheers,

~Claw

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, first post, so apologies if this not the right thread, but I get this weird bug where I go on EVA, and when I board again, it creates an unresponsive Kerbal (on the ladder for example), while the main Kerbal, be it Bob or Bill, will be in the capsule. I can still use Bob, but if I go on EVA again, he'll have to push the unresponsive clone out of the way.

Same thing happens if I board again, another clone will be created and Bob in will be in the capsule. I once had 3 clones hanging on the ladder, which prevented me doing anything such as time warp, etc.

Only mods I use are chatterer and Hot rockets.

Can anybody help me out?

Hi folks, first post, so apologies if this not the right thread

This is in the wrong spot, but it's no problem. I don't want to sound like you're being ignored, but this particular thread isn't quite for general bug fixing. Sounds like your issue is a bit different from the frozen-on-EVA bug as described.

So I will point you to the modded support forum, where you will likely get a better/faster response to your question. You can click on the link below and post your problem. If you can provide a few more details (such as the steps of what you are clicking on, and possibly even upload the save file) that often helps out.

Modded Support Forum: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forums/77-Support-%28modded-installs%29

Good luck, and welcome to the forums! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

This is in the wrong spot, but it's no problem. I don't want to sound like you're being ignored, but this particular thread isn't quite for general bug fixing. Sounds like your issue is a bit different from the frozen-on-EVA bug as described.

So I will point you to the modded support forum, where you will likely get a better/faster response to your question. You can click on the link below and post your problem. If you can provide a few more details (such as the steps of what you are clicking on, and possibly even upload the save file) that often helps out.

Modded Support Forum: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forums/77-Support-%28modded-installs%29

Good luck, and welcome to the forums! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

Thanks Claw, I could have swore I put this in the modded support forum, must of had my eyes crossed! :blush:

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.