NASA Code being Released!

Codey737

NASA have always been very open with their code, they contribute to a lot of open source projects. IIRC they were one of the big drivers behind Openstack. Check out code.nasa.gov to see what else they're doing.

2 nasty caveats:

Each NASA code is available at no cost and has been evaluated for access restrictions and designated for a specific type of release, ranging from codes that are open to all US citizens to codes that are restricted to access by other federal agencies.

The way I read it, I'll never see a line of the code, but it's cool nevertheless.

Time to start a real Kerbal Space Program...

Two nasty caveats:

"Each NASA code is available at no cost and has been evaluated for access restrictions and designated for a specific type of release, ranging from codes that are open to all US citizens to codes that are restricted to access by other federal agencies."

The way I read it, I'll never see a line of the code, but it's cool nevertheless.

Who cares? I'm still going to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

2 nasty caveats:

(*snip)

NASA is a civilian government agency of the United States. They not only have a moral obligation to put their citizens first, but they are also required to follow government guidelines. A worldwide release is right out. There are too many countries to which the US government bans the export of software, and most of these regulations even pertain to specific functions and types of code. It would require a massive effort from NASA to go through every line of code in each individual piece of software released and evaluate it based on compliance with federal export regulations - followed by a major hassle for actually releasing the stuff, where software 1 can be made available in countries A, B, C, and E but not in D, but software 2 can be made available in D but not in C and so on... now take that times a few thousand pieces of software, and again times over two hundred countries. It's ridiculous. Even if anyone wanted to do this, which I highly doubt, there would be no budget for it.

No, NASA won't do it. Releasing just for US citizens is much more convenient. Besides, the people at NASA are all geeks, and every geek knows... can you really expect something publicly released on the internet to stay in one specific country? Oh come on now please, we're not that gullible, I hope :) Just let natural proliferation take its course, and if you're in a hurry, ask a US friend to pass it on to you.

They not only have a moral obligation to put their citizens first, but they are also required to follow government guidelines. A worldwide release is right out.

Actually NASA do release quite a bit of stuff under permissive licenses. They either use common open source licenses like BSD or Apache, or their own NASA Open Source Agreement. None of these restrict by location. Their founding document (the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958) requires that they:

provide for the widest practicable and appropriate dissemination of information concerning its activities and the results thereof.

...so you could argue that they're legally obliged to be as open as possible.

I have aspirations to build a suborbital sounding rocket in real life.

This will get me started!

I too want to build a suborbital sounding rocket.

One with about a 13,000 mile range and eight independent science return capsules.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.