[1.0] See Science Remaining

I'm always needing to see where I should go next for science. So I built a tool that reads a save game file, and shows me where the remaining science is.

Go to this page:

http://kerbal-science-remaining.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Then drag and drop your savegame file onto the web page. (The save game is in your game directory as saves/Savegamename/persistent.sfs.)

oojohdoh.png

Boom, you can see where to go for science. Mouse over a science box to see where and what it is.

Code at https://github.com/DanielVF/kerbal_science_remaining

May 19th, 2015 - Updated for 1.0, thanks serg.bloim

May 20th, 2015 - Here are some links to similar systems that other people have made:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112400-KSP-0-90-Complete-Printable-Stock-Science-Checklists-Updated-06-Mar-2015

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87235-WEB-APP-KSP-Science-Career-Table-Generator-from-Save-File

Edited by acalculus

Is this expandable, i.e. using more/other scientific instruments? (like ScanSat, some Telescopes, DMagics Science Pack)

I love this idea, already tried to do this by Pen & Paper :D

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having an issue with Dragging and dropping. I drag and drop, but nothing appears to happen.

(Windows 7, Chrome)

Have the same problem here!

Edited by Horman

Is this expandable, i.e. using more/other scientific instruments? (like ScanSat, some Telescopes, DMagics Science Pack)

It is theoretically expandable to support other science mods. At the moment all it uses a great big list of possible science that I generate from some data I collected by hand. If you replaced that with another list, then it work work.

got nothing on either FF or IE using drop and manual enter. IE asks me to save or open the file I drop into it, and it tells me the page is not responding after I try to paste in my save file. FF just doesn't do anything either way. Page remains as it was when it first loaded (and this should really be in the Tools & Apps sub-forum)

finally I found something like this!

works fine for me (Windows 7, Firefox 28).

do you know, why I get negative values for certain entries? Minmus Goo Observations in high space says -18 science, is this because I am using a savegame made from an old version (0.22) and then upgraded as the patches came along?

another thing is, you can't do all experiments on all planets/moons, i.e. do atmosphere scans on the mun.

Keep on the nice work!

Thanks for the compliments!

I've removed the atmosphere only science from the surfaces of planets without atmospheres. I've also made it not show negative numbers on science, if for some reason you have more than I think the max is.

Thanks for the compliments!

I've removed the atmosphere only science from the surfaces of planets without atmospheres. I've also made it not show negative numbers on science, if for some reason you have more than I think the max is.

Thank you! Nice little tool.

I stumbled on this while looking for the total science available in KSP (excepting Asteroids) and it looks interesting. I tried to copy/paste the tabular data into Excel so I could add up all the numbers, but sadly they get all concatenated into a single number.

During your building of this, did you ever happen to add up all those numbers? It seems nobody ever has.

Still not working for me :( Neither in Chrome nor in FF

tried both ways, drag & drop and using the form...

It's probably that it's having a hard time reading the save game file for some reason. Could you upload your save game somewhere and private message me a link to it? I'll try debugging what's going wrong.

I stumbled on this while looking for the total science available in KSP (excepting Asteroids) and it looks interesting. I tried to copy/paste the tabular data into Excel so I could add up all the numbers, but sadly they get all concatenated into a single number.

During your building of this, did you ever happen to add up all those numbers? It seems nobody ever has.

I have a spreadsheet with all science that I know of. (Actually, I started out only making the spreadsheet so I could do the Mission Control Challenge). You can download it here:

http://kerbal-science-remaining.s3.amazonaws.com/science/all_science.csv

As with everything built by Kerbals by hand, it's probably not 100% accurate, but it's the numbers behind the remaining science app.

When I total up the numbers on the page I get 74,282. I think this overstates the numbers from Laythe, but does not include the recovered spacecraft science.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.