Finally something that satellites could do? (Asteroid Tracking Rework Suggestion)

Well,

The Topic explains it mostly. We got in theory 1 tracking station on kerbal :P

The idea is to downscale the tracking ability of the tracking station and increase the chance to find asteroids with each launched satellite around kerbal. Maybe even with influence of the orbit altitude. So finally i would have a reason to shoot up satellites with a telescope part, as example, without using a mod that makes satellites a useful endeavor.

Why the suggestion? I still think stock satellites comes to short in KSP at the moment. And i like Satellites with a purpose instead of only deco in stock mode :)

This was my exact plan to post about day ago..

That would be nice,

what about those simple things:

• Lets decrease tracking station ability
  • Create new tracking part (parts) for satelite detector
    >>(range limited, maybe diferent range=diferent power consumption during activity)
  • When it is powered it detect/shows you possible asteroids when you control that craft
  • When it has also comunication device(antenas and Txs which we already have as a parts)+(and again also sufficiently powered) it transmits actual position to kerbin and provide tracking option in map view and tracking station

Not so much new requested, great gameplay options ahead with this.

This could bring to game:

• Gain some sense to use "satelites"
    (which are really part of a space programs..)
  • Extends in-game-sense-value of electric items like battery and power sources
  • Creates new playground area

Edited by Anthlon
language sentence correction

I feel ok with Kerbincentric asteroid detection (although during my last interplanetary mission Kerbin was looking like a haunted house with all those question marks around it which were nowhere else)

It might be good if asteroid detection was a feature unlocked at certain level in Career though.

How about with the tracking station, you can only detect asteroids that come within Kerbin's SOI, and then with satellites, you unlock better detectors progressively, so that the first one increases it a little bit, and then each upgrade increases it more and more.

i mentioned something similar on the official arm thread....

But, wasn't just limited to asteroids... but to the entire solar system. basically to use a 'fog of war' type of the over the system map and you have to unlock a 'sensor' array to go on satellites to allow you to see parts of the solar system...

This was my exact plan to post about day ago..

That would be nice,

what about those simple things:

• Lets decrease tracking station ability
  • Create new tracking part (parts) for satelite detector
    >>(range limited, maybe diferent range=diferent power consumption during activity)
  • When it is powered it detect/shows you possible asteroids when you control that craft
  • When it has also comunication device(antenas and Txs which we already have as a parts)+(and again also sufficiently powered) it transmits actual position to kerbin and provide tracking option in map view and tracking station

Not so much new requested, great gameplay options ahead with this.

This could bring to game:

• Gain some sense to use "satelites"
    (which are really part of a space programs..)
  • Extends in-game-sense-value of electric items like battery and power sources
  • Creates new playground area

I like it. I think instead of downgrading the KSP tracking center, though, an orbital satellite should be able to detect objects farther away.

Hm.

Maybe you could launch miniature tracking dishes to detect "their own" asteroids.

Such that, if you landed it in Jool (somehow), you would be able to detect the same amounts of asteroids as you would at Kerbin.

But when they overlap, obviously, asteroids in the overlapping region won't be extremely common.

• 4 weeks later...
Hm.

Maybe you could launch miniature tracking dishes to detect "their own" asteroids.

Such that, if you landed it in Jool (somehow), you would be able to detect the same amounts of asteroids as you would at Kerbin.

But when they overlap, obviously, asteroids in the overlapping region won't be extremely common.

Maybe,maybe,maybe we could do anything afterwards, lets do (create in game features) with satelites at least something, than we can think about what exactly to do with them.

I do not care at this point, what we will able to do exactly with them, I just wish to have something! then we can call for more functions on already build principes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.