0.23.5 Unknown Feature Discovery!!!

greg12

Found another "secret" feature which may have been announced but at least isn't obvious - you can rename stuff from the tracking station by clicking its name in the orange bar at the top of the "i" button's menu thingy. ANY stuff - well okay, not planets ofc, but you can rename asteroids, debris, etc.

Very Cool. Also, Is it just me or did the transit times on all of my interplanetary ships double? Did they change the mission time to Kerbin days instead of Earth Days?

Yeah, they did. If you watch the clock you can see that it goes up one day after only 6 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

I found out about the f5 and f9 functions in a video but i never knew they were THAT unknown XD

We're talking about Alt-f5 and Alt-f9

did not know about this!

I've been working on a tool called Jebretary that does automatic tracking of both quicksaves and autosaves and it doesn't clutter up your save dir with lots of files (it also tracks the versions of craft files during their construction in the same way). It also doesn't require you to do anything expect hit f5 and it will automatically track a new version of your save, you can then reload any past quicksave. It also tracks every autosaves and can load them as quicksaves, so even if you forget to quicksave you'll be able to load autosaves with f9.

You interface with the tool via your browser and you can access it from any web-enabled device on your local network. Click the link in my sig to see more.

Am I the first person who knew about this???

I encountered this in 0.22 or 0.21 because i sometimes play KSP with my laptop and to press f9 i have to press fn+f9. So sometimes i pressed alt+f9 and saw that. It has been so good thing!

And nobody knew it...

Now that I've already mined all the science from it, I figure it's time to pass this on to the community.

A few kilometers west of KSC (and a little bit north, but it's kind of hard to tell for sure), just past the edge of the forest (hint hint ground scatter wink wink), is a tiny little ribbon of land that looks exactly the same as all the land around it - but is secretly a region of Tundra. When I found it it turned out to be a very convenient way to get a bit of bonus science at the beginning of the game, although you have to be very precise in order to actually land on it (or use a rover).

I'm pretty sure it's due to a minor error in the sampling of the biome map - if my hunch is right, the image is set to the default scaling setting in Unity, meaning it gets interpolated when it's stretched to cover Kerbin, so right at the edges of biomes the game ends up sampling an intermediate color between the colors for the two adjacent biomes, which happens to match a color that codes for a different biome (in this case the tundra). I haven't found any other such anomalies, but I'm sure there are more around somewhere.

Now that I've already mined all the science from it, I figure it's time to pass this on to the community.

A few kilometers west of KSC (and a little bit north, but it's kind of hard to tell for sure), just past the edge of the forest (hint hint ground scatter wink wink), is a tiny little ribbon of land that looks exactly the same as all the land around it - but is secretly a region of Tundra. When I found it it turned out to be a very convenient way to get a bit of bonus science at the beginning of the game, although you have to be very precise in order to actually land on it (or use a rover).

I'm pretty sure it's due to a minor error in the sampling of the biome map - if my hunch is right, the image is set to the default scaling setting in Unity, meaning it gets interpolated when it's stretched to cover Kerbin, so right at the edges of biomes the game ends up sampling an intermediate color between the colors for the two adjacent biomes, which happens to match a color that codes for a different biome (in this case the tundra). I haven't found any other such anomalies, but I'm sure there are more around somewhere.

I've found others like that - bits of coastline (or even water once, when I splashed down near the coast) that swear they're grassland. Doubt I could find them again though and by the time I did find them, the bonus science wasn't worth much. Your example sounds much more useful!

So, anyone used this feature in action yet? I mean for a real mission. If yes, did you pressed accidentally ALT-F4? I waiting for interesting mission (game play) reports to read :)

You can also adjust manoeuvre nodes with the mouse wheel now. If you hover the mouse over one of the icons (prograde, normal etc) and scroll slowly with the mouse wheel you can make very fine adjustments.

If this is a well known feature I'm going to look like a right idiot :P

You can also adjust manoeuvre nodes with the mouse wheel now. If you hover the mouse over one of the icons (prograde, normal etc) and scroll slowly with the mouse wheel you can make very fine adjustments.

It was in the change log and in KSP twitch marathon too. Please don`t feel looking like an idiot :)

It's not just well-known to me, it's abhorred. I use the mouse wheel all the time to zoom and to have that intuitive feature screw up my carefully plotted maneuver node makes me want to toss my computer out the window sometimes.

I will never, ever use that intentionally. I bet it's a config option. I should find it and turn it off.

Thanks for the heads up! I vaguely recall reading this before, but had totally overlooked it.

Very Cool. Also, Is it just me or did the transit times on all of my interplanetary ships double? Did they change the mission time to Kerbin days instead of Earth Days?
Yes. 1 Kerbin day = 6 hours. Years get put as the correct number of Kerbin days too. You can change it back to Earth time from the settings on the main menu - which I suggest doing if you want existing launch window planners to work and don't want to convert manually.

There's also been some discussion that planetary orbits were slightly changed, but I believe not by enough to throw launch planners out unless you let the clock rack up a few centuries. Big errors at early times are down to the Kerbin/Earth time discrepancy.

I've found others like that - bits of coastline (or even water once, when I splashed down near the coast) that swear they're grassland. Doubt I could find them again though and by the time I did find them, the bonus science wasn't worth much. Your example sounds much more useful!

This happens because biomes have fuzzy borders causing the two to bleed into each other, which the game interprets as being another biome. So pretty much anywhere that the "shores" biome meets "grasslands" you'll get a strip of "tundra", but it happens in lots of other biome borders too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.