0.23.5 Unknown Feature Discovery!!!

greg12

Why wasn't I told of this in the update logs?

Because knowing Squad this has been a feature since the beginning :)

Anybody have a really old exe from right when quicksaves were introduced? Mine only go back to 0.22 but if someone has an earlier one, we could find out how long it's been part of the game.

Anybody have a really old exe from right when quicksaves were introduced? Mine only go back to 0.22 but if someone has an earlier one, we could find out how long it's been part of the game.

I just checked .23.0: Interesting, alt-F5 doesn't work at all (it just quicksaves), and alt-F9 can load a new save, but only scenarios instead of quicksaves.

Since I started back in 0.16 I loaded up each version from there forward and checked. in 0.21 Alt+F9 shows a list of quicksaves to choose from but Alt+F5 only quicksaves normally, no option to save as.

As the title say, maneuver nodes are now saved: you can quick save and reload that save, quit the flight to the KSC(or somewhere else) and even restart the game without loosing them!

Also, (which can be quite useful sometime), when you have a ship with a maneuver node, you can see it's maneuver in the tracking station.

Thank you for reading this( incredibly short) thread!

I noticed that they persist even if you go EVA. That's been very handy for me.

Yeah I just did this, it is so nice not having to reset the node while evaing for science. I remember when I first heard about this when the patch was in development, I was SO happy!

Hi guys!

I found something really cool! Did you know that multiple quick saves was possible in stock KSP? Yes it is!

Keys:

ALT+F5 - Save as...

ALT+F9 - Load quick saves

Proof:

http://imgur.com/a/imOgu

If you don`t believe it, try it for yourself :)

I remember knowing about the feature since 0.20, but I didn't know you could actually have more than one quick save.

Well, I remember it being in 0.20. The feature could have been even before that.

I have just confirmed that Alt+F5 does not work in 0.23. Alt+F9 always has allowed you to load any saved SFS file. Its usefulness has simply been expanded now that saving SFS files by any name you'd like in-game is a feature.

The new feature I really appreciate is that you can view maneuver nodes in the new sphere of influence and tweak from this new view.

Try it: set up an encounter with Mun or whatever. Then, click Mun and set it as the focus. Your view will shift over to the current planet location, BUT, it will show the encounter trajectory. Then you can tweak your maneuver node a bit more and see how it affects the trajectory with a lot more ease.

I *think* this is new in 0.23.5. I don't remember it in 0.23 at least.

The new feature I really appreciate is that you can view maneuver nodes in the new sphere of influence and tweak from this new view.

Try it: set up an encounter with Mun or whatever. Then, click Mun and set it as the focus. Your view will shift over to the current planet location, BUT, it will show the encounter trajectory. Then you can tweak your maneuver node a bit more and see how it affects the trajectory with a lot more ease.

I *think* this is new in 0.23.5. I don't remember it in 0.23 at least.

I have my conics mode set to 3 for everything everywhere, so I don't think I'd notice this. However, this sounds like they're showing you what CM3 would show when you change focus to another planet, which I approve of.

This is something that should really be made known to us. I'm so glad this is here, but I wonder how long it's been a feature. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad about it or not being told, but I just want to know when it was implemented.

This is something that should really be made known to us. I'm so glad this is here, but I wonder how long it's been a feature. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad about it or not being told, but I just want to know when it was implemented.

As I said, I tested it on 0.23 and Alt+F5 does not do anything in that version. Meaning it was actually added to this one. Alt+F9 has worked as a load-any-SFS file feature for a long time, but now it has extra utility thanks to Alt+F5's functionality.

I only just found out it's possible to focus on maneuver nodes

OK, I thought I knew all of the possible foci, but I didn't know this.

What I want is to be able to focus on projected encounters. But I guess in a way you can do that now by instead focusing on the target planet/moon and viewing the trajectory there.

Another feature: asteroid samples can be retaken depending on the situation. I just flew a mission where the asteroid went from space high above Kerbin, to the Mun and then a close encounter with the Mun (<15km). I got three surface samples for the mission. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, i'm dumb. The thing came with a mod, probably the recent raster-prop-monitor update.

And i found another long awaited feature!

The 'control from here'-function isn't reset by switching to other crew modules. Meaning you can now control ships from a centered-module while sitting high above the ship in a control tower.

Its only reset when switching from docking modules to iva.

On a smaller note, its now easier to go into crew modules from eva.

btw: Maybe OP could edit the first post to add quotes with all the new stuff people posted here? This thread is full of hidden features.

Edited by Temeter

btw: Maybe OP could edit the first post to add quotes with all the new stuff people posted here? This thread is full of hidden features.

I have made some changes about the highlights. Thanks for the tip :)

Edited by greg12

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.