Asteroids

I'm not sure if they lifted the restriction that asteroids won't show up in old saves. In a new save I had about 6 asteroids in interplanetary space close to Kerbin immediately after start.

Yes, that's gone -- IIRC, it was part of the same bug that wrecked science. When I upgraded my save to 0.23.5, I had asteroids right away.

How asteroids behave when hitting ground falling from orbit? Just explode like other parts (but with way higher impact tolerance), or should one expect some kind of disaster? I have one C on suborbital path, and I can't decide if to do Armageddon-style mission (but to direct it away from Kerbin instead of nuking it), or just sit and watch the world burn :).

How asteroids behave when hitting ground falling from orbit? Just explode like other parts (but with way higher impact tolerance), or should one expect some kind of disaster? I have one C on suborbital path, and I can't decide if to do Armageddon-style mission (but to direct it away from Kerbin instead of nuking it), or just sit and watch the world burn :).

They bounce.

No, seriously. The soup of an atmosphere that Kerbin has slows them down enough that they just kinda bounce on the ground and then roll to a stop.

I am playing in a new save in 23.5. Only thing carried over from previous saves are ship and plane designs in the respective VAB and SPH save folders.

If you are using Steam you might try verifying the game cache. For whatever reason, my ARM mission didn't install (or install fully) so maybe this is the culprit? The asteroids are a part included in the NASAmission folder, you can get rid of them by removing it.

They bounce.

No, seriously. The soup of an atmosphere that Kerbin has slows them down enough that they just kinda bounce on the ground and then roll to a stop.

Can't wait to see it :). What happens when they hit celestial body without atmosphere with high speed? Since they work as part, what impact tolerance they have? I saw videos from Mun crashes and they also bounce. Is there some speed at which they will be obliterated on impact?

Can't wait to see it :). What happens when they hit celestial body without atmosphere with high speed? Since they work as part, what impact tolerance they have? I saw videos from Mun crashes and they also bounce. Is there some speed at which they will be obliterated on impact?

Looking at the part.cfg file, I'm getting 150 tons, crash tolerance 80 m/s, max temp... erm, basically unlimited. :P

I thought there were different size classes of asteroids, but there's just the one file.

Looking at the part.cfg file, I'm getting 150 tons, crash tolerance 80 m/s, max temp... erm, basically unlimited. :P

I thought there were different size classes of asteroids, but there's just the one file.

Wiki says, that this file is basis for procedural generation. But there are videos of asteroids hitting Mun at ~600m/s and bouncing off, so I wonder if there's limit to it.

Edit: Just saw video of Scott Manley hitting Kerbin with huge asteroid going ~4km/s on impact, and it bounced. So I guess they're indestructible.

Edited by frik

There are different size classes, and variable weights in each class. The size is generated in game and the model is scaled to match.

So I wonder if impact tolerence is scaled too...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.