Forum bugs - 500 internal server error

TouhouTorpedo

I'm seeing this when using advanced post editing. Trying to change the title of this thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29661-TT-s-Mod-Releases-JOYSTICK-VTOL-CONTROL-Pitch-Vector-Engine-2-with-pegasus-engine!

to the following:

TT's Mod Releases - UPDATED! Pitch Vector Engine 3 - more VTOL's and Tweakables!

On attempts to save any edits done in advanced mode Internal Server Error 500 occurs.

I've found this happens with almost any advanced post. (though it has let me post this thread for some reason)

If a mod/admin can update the above threads title and highlight/repair this forum problem i'd be grateful.

Edited by KasperVld

Moved to the Forum Forum.

I've changed the title of the thread for you myself for now, but I saw the exact same error going through the Advanced editor (or trying to, rather). Hmm.

What happens if you change the Message Editor Interface? (click Settings on top, then General Settings in the left menu and look for Message Editor Interface, near the bottom)

Right now what I see there is "Basic Editor" for some reason - I suppose it should be "Enhanced Interface" if I want to use bbcode, right?

EDIT: Okay, I checked with all three versions and I'm still getting the same error.

Edited by czokletmuss

On Chrome, I always have this bug that I can't post quick replies, ever. Editing first posts on my threads doesn't work too at all, I just get the page with the box for editing but I can't edit anything in it, it is just blank. Perhaps on Chrome you just can't write in the input boxes but on IE and FF you get error 500?

I don't have that issue, iDan. It sounds like you may need to clear your cache and reload the page if that happens. Usually it's just the code for the quick reply and/or inline editor boxes not having had time to load, or the connection being unexpectedly dropped midway through loading it.

I am having a somewhat similar issue: trying to edit the Principia OP yields a 500 on save or on go advanced/preview.

However, clearing the editor, pressing go advanced, clearing it again, typing 10 character in, pressing preview has the expected result; putting the contents of the OP back in the editor window and pressing preview yields a 500.

I suspect the fora don't like my long post, but this is new (as I was obviously able to post this at some point).

Okay, so - looking at the posts here, and [thread=76102]this other issue report[/thread], I think this might be related to post sizes in some way. I haven't observed anything like this, so I can't try and pinpoint it, but it would be nice to figure out if there's any specific number of characters that's triggering this (in case anyone wants to do some SCIENCE! on this).

Well, my update changelog is 4kb long. My OP is easily twice that. I doubt pinpointing a specific character size will help, though, because what exactly are you going to do with it once you have it? As long as all you need is a test case, well, there you have a 4kb limit that definitely fails.

Okay, so - looking at the posts here, and [thread=76102]this other issue report[/thread], I think this might be related to post sizes in some way. I haven't observed anything like this, so I can't try and pinpoint it, but it would be nice to figure out if there's any specific number of characters that's triggering this (in case anyone wants to do some SCIENCE! on this).

I doubt it.

e.g. I tried simply changing the prefix in advanced mode, and the same thing still happens.

EDIT

I might have to eat my words. Either the problem has been fixed or I found a work-around.

Here's what I did:

I deleted half of my post

Saved

Changed the title

Changed the prefix

Saved

Went to simple Edit

Pasted deleted part of post and saved

The thing is that the total number of characters has increased overall anyway.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I'm also experiencing 500 errors for some of my threads:

60863 - opening advanced editor does give 500

47863 - opening advanced editor works, but saving gives 500 (did not edit, just clicked "Save")

46569 - saving advanced editor is fine (did not edit, just clicked "Save")

Edited by blizzy78