Real-Time KSP

Sidoz11

Has anyone ever done a real-time Kerbal mission? If so what happened and how was it?

I'm intrigued to try it myself as it is the Easter holidays in England and I don't have much to do, I was thinking of a real-time mun mission (apollo style) :D

I haven't heard of any real-time mission so far, so you'll probably be the first one :cool:. However, I hope you are aware of how much time it will take. Seriously. The real Apollo 11 mission had a mission time of 8 days. You'll have to leave your PC on 24/7 too, and keep an eye on what's going on. That being said, I think it's a really cool idea, and I'll definitely read that mission log :)

Do you mean playing KSP without time warp? If yes, someone should made a mod for it so it calculate the time past when you offline. For example in Take on Mars. I don`t want to leave the computer running for a day just to get to the Mun when I can time warp to it in ten seconds.

Should be around 8-10hours or so to reach the Mun from LKO if I recall correctly(warning: number picked from memory, memory is generally unreliable, might not reflect reality), so you could do the launch and TMI then go do whatever for 6-8 hours, do insertion and landing, stay on the Mun for the night(sleep irl) and then launch into orbit and do the TKI when you wake up, before another 6-8 hours of whatever before coming back for the landing.

If you were brave you could even plan for a aerocapture at Kerbin in case you missed the last step, so you at least get into an orbit of some kind.

-

Kolbjorn

Edited by CoolBeer
Spelling

When I first played I didn't use timewarp, but then that's when the best I did was reaching orbit and going once round Kerbin.

Going beyond the Mun in real time would just be more waiting than it's worth I reckon.

Almost all my missions outside LKO are slower than real-time because once they've done their burn and are on their way I spend all my time on lots of other building/orbital messing around until KAC reminds me that I sent something off to Mun a couple of days ago ^^. There is a simple reason I haven't been to most planets - my games never last long enough for a transfer window!

There was, once upon a time, a No time warp challenge. The goal was to get as many kerbals as far away from Kerbin as possible with only the time from your initial entry to spend. For every real day that passed after your entry, you banked 24 hours of time warp, go over that and it disqualified your entry. Someone even wrote a plugin that displayed how much time warp you were allowed before disqualification.

I can't for the life of me find the post though, It may have been eaten in last year's purge.

I did see that someone on YouTube did a realtime mun mission. It took quite awhile. I don't see the point. I think it took a few days.

I remember something similar.

One guy was isolated in a room and was only allowed to use IVA view. He was also not allowed to leave that room. A few others where next door serving as mission control, only using map view.

They did a successful real time Mun landing and return.

Running a real time mission is just using KSP as a really fancy interactive screen saver. I don't see any real point to it myself. It isn't like you have to monitor anything or do anything to the ship once its course is set, you just sit there and watch the ship follow the dotted line. The distance is also scaled way down so technically you are still time warping. It took the Apollo missions I think four days to go from the Earth to the Moon. In KSP it can be done in 4-6 hours, not exactly an authentic experience... And trying to do an interplanetary mission real time is just silly. I don't see what benefit or additional experience there is in letting your computer stay running KSP for weeks (or months, my last Duna mission took 108 days) just so you can watch your ship follow a dotted line in "real time" which again isn't really "real time" because distance is scaled down.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't have to actually be running. Like if you could setup a mission, turn the game off and come back later.

As much fun as it would be to go into space for reals, I can only imagine how much it would suck to be trapped in such a small space with nothing to do for several months while floating to Mars.

A KSP-sized Apollo-style Mun mission, run efficiently, can be completed in 12-14 hours from launch to splashdown. Of course the vast bulk of that will be spent cruising through the void between Kerbin and the Mun with nothing to do. This is quite reasonable if you have a day off. Whether it's fun or not... Well that's a different question.

It might get interesting if you use the Telemachus setup with a twist: have three guys in a very small room (with some snacks, drinks and a bucket) be the CSM. Transfer two guys over to a very very small room (with fewer snacks, fewer drinks, and a smaller bucket) to simulate the lander. Have some more guys in a spacious room (with plenty of snacks, lots of drinks, a proper restroom and work shifts) boss them around using telemetry. Livestream for our amusement. As a social experiment alone it should be worth it.

For added realism, lock yourself in your room for the length of time for the mission. Stock up on food, water, and seal-able containers for waste....

Also depending on the mission wear heavy gloves, boots, ski suit, and biker helmet. Remember your sleeping in your chair...

Bring equipment for science experiments and if your doing an EVA tools for that. For a Mun landing bring a shovel and bucket for samples you collect from outside.

astronaut-halloween-costume-craft-photo-420-FF1002HWEENA07.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.