Tonight, I begin my first serious project on the new machine!

Whackjob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am reviving this project.

After tomorrow, I will have five consecutive days off of work. During this time, in addition to lying low and enabling chill mode, I will also be attempting to quit smoking the hard way: Cold turkey. Thursday, with all luck, will be my final day as a smoker.

Needless to say I will be an incoherent wreck. Also needless to say, I will need something very distracting to help me through it. Hence, the tower.

Original plan stands. 10xVAB height is the goal.

Part of me is curious to see how my brain handles both the challenge and the withdrawal.

Good luck, dude! We're rooting for you and always look forward to your creations! :)

My best friend quit cigarettes a year ago; it's tough! Some unsolicited advice:

- Make sure you have a punching bag or some exercise you can do. You'll be jittery and more frustrated than normal while going through withdrawal and it helps to get some of that out while getting a replacement high from adrenaline.

- Whenever you would normally take a smoke break by yourself, go instead for a brisk 5-10 minute walk; this way, you are acting on the urge without actually taking the hit.

- Carry chewing gum so you can occupy your mouth when you're forced to stand with others during their smoke break (this is the worst situation when quitting, because you will always be offered a cigarette).

Good luck, dude! We're rooting for you and always look forward to your creations! :)

My best friend quit cigarettes a year ago; it's tough! Some unsolicited advice:

Advice always welcome, solicited or no!

- Make sure you have a punching bag or some exercise you can do. You'll be jittery and more frustrated than normal while going through withdrawal and it helps to get some of that out while getting a replacement high from adrenaline.

I'm planning on just hammering together the biggest lander tower ever hehe. No punching bags available.

- Whenever you would normally take a smoke break by yourself, go instead for a brisk 5-10 minute walk; this way, you are acting on the urge without actually taking the hit.

I'll probably be doing a lot of this.

- Carry chewing gum so you can occupy your mouth when you're forced to stand with others during their smoke break (this is the worst situation when quitting, because you will always be offered a cigarette).

My plan? Bag of pretzel sticks.

I will also be attempting to quit smoking the hard way: Cold turkey.

Good luck, hope you make it. I was never a heavy smoker but quitting was very hard. The nicotine patch + distractions worked for me. By distractions I mean: having something completely different to do when I would normally smoke, having something to hold in my fingers all the time, and lots of exercise. I also have to admit that my first attempt(s) were not entirely successful but eventually I was able to quit entirely. That was ~14 years ago, and I still think about it. I definitely would not smoke again, but I definitely remember how enjoyable it was when I did. The brain is a funny thing, that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.