Why I Really Hope KSP Goes 64bit

I find that the memory limit for parts is really tough. I don't want stations with bazillion parts but I do want a toybox with a large selection to make my vessels.

It's when I try loading a pack and find that I hit that 4gb limit and KSP crashes on launch... It just makes me want to scream as it has taken a while to get there.

So for now I have to literally cut out bits I don't think I will need from mod packs. I have 12gb on my KSP machine and it's a shame I can't fully use it.

So here is me crossing my fingers that they figure out what causes KSP to crash when run at 64bit. One day the sky will be no longer the limit.

Fo real. Although texture/memory reduction mods help a heck of a lot, in the mean time.

I'm thinking that if any idea of Multiplayer starts to take off, they'll really have to look more seriously at using all 64 of our bits.

EDIT

Double ninja'd. For shame =P

IIRC, the Unity folks are pretty close to getting it stable for Windows. The unexpected and rather substantial performance improvements resulting from the engine upgrade in KSP .23.5 are making me optimistic that things are gonna be getting better in that regard.

KSP will be 64bit when Unity spits out stable binaries (which it can do only on Linux so far) and NeoMorph, you should know how often this is asked for, this won't help it come any sooner.

Sorry... just frustrated that my build is juuuuuuuust on the border of stable and unstable... It wasn't a complaint against Felipe and crew... it's just me stoned out of my head on morphine (as usual) and trying to find stuff using this awful search engine.

Sal, if you want go ahead and kill the thread if you think it's best. It was just me thinking out loud.

EDIT: Oh yeah... there is one thing that has been bugging me all day. When you get a saved craft that has parts that you have pared out of the build it just says "Invalid Parts" and refuses to load. Has anyone made a mod that lists what parts I need to put back?

Oh and here is where I have found it is stable...

oDkLkh5.png

I will have to try that texture thing.

Edit 2: Well WOW...

EUQI5xx.png

Big difference... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Galacticruler and Frank_G.

Edited by NeoMorph

I can second that. The Active Texture Management Mod by Boulder Co really did a job. Solved all my problems with one tiny installation.

That worked for me until the most recent update. All my memory is getting used up again, and I'm right back to frequent crashes.

Try the Linux version, it supports 64x.

i dont really consider this much of an option. i actually did do a quick and dirty ubuntu install on an old core 2 quad rig to see what would happen. ksp works fine in linux, but not all mods do. many of them make the game crash in linux when they work fine on windows. results will vary widely depending on which mods you use.

really the last thing of my concern is 64bit, I don't even have a 64bit machine....

But surely there is other to improve performance cpu wise.....

What are you running that isn't 64-bit? The only recent-ish CPU without 64-bit I can think of is Intel's Atom.

That worked for me until the most recent update. All my memory is getting used up again, and I'm right back to frequent crashes.

I always do a fresh install when a new update is there. And .23.5 works better than any version before. That includes the Active Texture Management. I would recommend that, if you havent done that already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.