Project Odyssey: adventures getting home from an alternate dimension

Felbourn

Just watched the pilot episode, well made as always. While you're very talented at modding/welding and the idea of sharing files is very generous, I'm in favour of the RSS+historical alternative. It would be really interesting to see your building skills in a RSS/RO context imo (and I bet you're gonna make some parts/cfgs for RO also) . I also thought it was cool that you showed some images and facts of the V2 and the chinese rocket chair.

Also just watched the back to back pilot episode, and found it very annoying!

I was hoping that I would enjoy one or the other more, so that I'd be able to give you an opinion on it, but they were both great. I absolutely loved the historical aspect of the first one, but watching the second one made me realise that I also love the idea of watching the story of your space agency unfold over time.

Don't worry, I'm not going to suggest that you do both. Instead, and possibly worse, I'm going to ask the question : "Which one did you enjoy making more?"

Given that the reason you're branching out into this new series is to avoid burnout on Odyssey, surely the fun-to-make factor should be a major one in the decision process?

Also just watched the back to back pilot episode, and found it very annoying!

I was hoping that I would enjoy one or the other more, so that I'd be able to give you an opinion on it, but they were both great. I absolutely loved the historical aspect of the first one, but watching the second one made me realise that I also love the idea of watching the story of your space agency unfold over time.

Don't worry, I'm not going to suggest that you do both. Instead, and possibly worse, I'm going to ask the question : "Which one did you enjoy making more?"

Given that the reason you're branching out into this new series is to avoid burnout on Odyssey, surely the fun-to-make factor should be a major one in the decision process?

Instead of having "more fun than the other" I think what happened was I had a little less fun with the stock than I had expected I would have. RSS was just as fun as I had expected it would be. Also, I did not count the votes, but I am sure it's at least 70-30 if not more than 80-20 in favor of doing RSS and history. This means I should do RSS, and I am already planning & researching an extended version of a TRUE episode 1 with the V2, and more details, and more history. Stay tuned!

Hey bob, I have researched the V2 in detail and have written all the facts you need to know to make an exact copy, engine stats, flight profile, everything. Just PM if you want pics.

I did the same thing, of course, so I would love to compare my notes with yours!

I created a new thread here for you to post into:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99452-Project-Alexandria-a-history-of-spaceflight-done-in-Real-Solar-Solar-System

TBH I think you made the right decission as for me there is not enough stock parts to run a complete stock space programme. Your use of panels to make a shroud is a prime example, inventive but not quite upto gateway / odyssey standards.

I'm having trouble finding GameData\CMES\Propulsion\KOSMOS-CHAKA-ORION-ENGINE . Do you mean KOSMOS - CHAKA LANDER ENGINE by any chance? I'm having trouble finding this one too [GameData\CMES\Structural\KW-CHAKA-DecouplerShroud\375 DCSS.cfg]

Edited by ebookah

I'm having trouble finding GameData\CMES\Propulsion\KOSMOS-CHAKA-ORION-ENGINE . Do you mean KOSMOS - CHAKA LANDER ENGINE by any chance? I'm having trouble finding this one too [GameData\CMES\Structural\KW-CHAKA-DecouplerShroud\375 DCSS.cfg]

SrZ6y0u.png

I think it's missing in the Beta 0.26.1 version because Iv'e downloaded it 3 times and the only Kosmos engines are KOSMOS - CHAKA LANDER ENGINE, Kosmos_Angara_RD-275K, and Kosmos_VA_RRV_Escape_Unit. Am I looking in the wrong place.

I think it's missing in the Beta 0.26.1 version because Iv'e downloaded it 3 times and the only Kosmos engines are KOSMOS - CHAKA LANDER ENGINE, Kosmos_Angara_RD-275K, and Kosmos_VA_RRV_Escape_Unit. Am I looking in the wrong place.

I downloaded the mod myself and I see that folder is now missing. I searched for the part name itself and still nothing. If users of his mod have previously launched craft using that part and then they install his latest version, those craft will fail to load and those launched vessels will be deleted. Sucks to be them. I am not a fan of major mod changes that rename or remove parts like that, but oh well I can't change the way he's making his mod and I guess that's what we get for using a Beta release mod in an Alpha release game.

My only suggestion is to make a new part file that has that part's name by using some other engine for the model. Apparently my install is already unusable without me going back to and making sure things I have already downloaded are always up to date all the time, which will be too much work.

I did say this was a project that's not for the faint of heart. ;)

It's fixable, but we're getting into territory now that requires even more knowledge about how KSP works if you want to continue.

I downloaded the mod myself and I see that folder is now missing. I searched for the part name itself and still nothing. If users of his mod have previously launched craft using that part and then they install his latest version, those craft will fail to load and those launched vessels will be deleted. Sucks to be them. I am not a fan of major mod changes that rename or remove parts like that, but oh well I can't change the way he's making his mod and I guess that's what we get for using a Beta release mod in an Alpha release game.

My only suggestion is to make a new part file that has that part's name by using some other engine for the model. Apparently my install is already unusable without me going back to and making sure things I have already downloaded are always up to date all the time, which will be too much work.

I did say this was a project that's not for the faint of heart. ;)

It's fixable, but we're getting into territory now that requires even more knowledge about how KSP works if you want to continue.

Ok understood. And thank you for all the help the past couple of days. I also looked everywhere for that part with no luck. Do you have any suggestions what would be a good replacement for that engine?

Ok understood. And thank you for all the help the past couple of days. I also looked everywhere for that part with no luck. Do you have any suggestions what would be a good replacement for that engine?

I'm at work without KSP to look at, but my memory of the FASA engines includes an RL-10 lookalike that I suspect could be scaled to a proper size for a replacement. You'd need to add a new config something like this:

@PART[whateverFASAenginePartName]
{
@name = XKosmos_RD-58SSORION // I think that is the missing part? if not, put the missing part name here
// other changes may be needed, like a MODEL section with a scale= line to get the part to the right size
}

I'm at work without KSP to look at, but my memory of the FASA engines includes an RL-10 lookalike that I suspect could be scaled to a proper size for a replacement. You'd need to add a new config something like this:

@PART[whateverFASAenginePartName]
{
@name = XKosmos_RD-58SSORION // I think that is the missing part? if not, put the missing part name here
// other changes may be needed, like a MODEL section with a scale= line to get the part to the right size
}

Thank you and I'll give that a try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.