Project Odyssey: adventures getting home from an alternate dimension

Felbourn

I already did Juno. I did it months ago, and never turned it into a video. It was so long... I could not figure out how to make it shorter and still be one episode. I considered making a mini series, and I also considered waiting to Alexandria and just including it there. I don't know what to do with it.

I already did Juno. I did it months ago, and never turned it into a video. It was so long... I could not figure out how to make it shorter and still be one episode. I considered making a mini series, and I also considered waiting to Alexandria and just including it there. I don't know what to do with it.

Sounds just like a day has not enough hours for what you plan to do :)

The day has not enough hours to finish that Odyssey episode, does it? Also, I guess all the raw materials are all together longer than 24 hours. "I can't finish the book today - the audio version lasts 25 hours"

An episode like this takes about 100 minutes to produce 1 minute of video. I'm around 46 minutes now, so I have already spent about 70-80 hours on it. It also required a lot of custom building, which takes about 3 hours each. There are about 7 of those, so all totaled I have spent around 90-100 hours on this. No, not enough hours in a day to get it all done.

An episode like this takes about 100 minutes to produce 1 minute of video. I'm around 46 minutes now, so I have already spent about 70-80 hours on it. It also required a lot of custom building, which takes about 3 hours each. There are about 7 of those, so all totaled I have spent around 90-100 hours on this. No, not enough hours in a day to get it all done.

That and still with a fulltime job? Man I feel with you, but what you do is really awesome.

You deserved the Oscar-B.

Status update:

tldr: Odyssey may take a lot longer to finish than expected

I've been working on the next episode for 5-6 weeks now. I have not really "played" the game in all that time and I am getting antsy about wanting to try out some new mods and stuff. Episode #46 is up to about 50 minutes, and last night I wrote the script for a good 10-15 more minutes of content which is still not the end of it. (If you have not figured out what this episode is by now, that should be the last hint you needed.) I am pretty sure this is going to take longer than Gold Strike has left, and will go past my next work vacation too (heading to Wyoming for two weeks). I estimate 3-4 weeks of work, IF I am working on it. I'm almost certain I'll need a break before I can finish it at the quality level I desire. I don't want to get tired of it and skimp on the quality just for the sake of being done. So if I plan to take a break anyway, I ought to do that now, and work on something else where I can really play the game and design some things. So don't be surprised to see that happen after Gold Strike.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob, I just have a question. Will your next main series be a custom install just like Odyssey or not? If yes, I will be able to follow, cause i got a new pc that can run KSP better than my old laptop. Also will overclocking my CPU increase the physics calculation time? Because I heard that a dual-core Celeron CPU can run KSP very well. I have an i5 so??:rolleyes:

Status update:

tldr: Odyssey may take a lot longer to finish than expected

I've been working on the next episode for 5-6 weeks now. I have not really "played" the game in all that time and I am getting antsy about wanting to try out some new mods and stuff. Episode #46 is up to about 50 minutes, and last night I wrote the script for a good 10-15 more minutes of content which is still not the end of it. (If you have not figured out what this episode is by now, that should be the last hint you needed.) I am pretty sure this is going to take longer than Gold Strike has left, and will go past my next work vacation too (heading to Wyoming for two weeks). I estimate 3-4 weeks of work, IF I am working on it. I'm almost certain I'll need a break before I can finish it at the quality level I desire. I don't want to get tired of it and skimp on the quality just for the sake of being done. So if I plan to take a break anyway, I ought to do that now, and work on something else where I can really play the game and design some things. So don't be surprised to see that happen after Gold Strike.

Not surprised, that is totally understandable.

Status

I have not really worked on Odyssey for almost two weeks. I needed the break. I have been playing with a new install called Project Genesis. It's a work in progress, to be sure, and I have a few days of work I have not submitted yet. It's not ready to be used.

I did take time here and there to at least work on the script for Odyssey-46 and that much is now finished. I think it's 20 minutes of video time, so figure 30 hours to finish. I also got my daughter to record the Valentina and Svetlana parts, so there's nothing left to do except film and edit. It won't be done by Monday though.

I go on vacation next week. I'll be gone for two weeks, so the next video of ANY series probably won't be until August 3rd at the earliest unless I do something really small, and not a series.

Kermany??? So cool!

It is just my location, I can think of more exicting places :D

Status

I have not really worked on Odyssey for almost two weeks. I needed the break. I have been playing with a new install called Project Genesis. It's a work in progress, to be sure, and I have a few days of work I have not submitted yet. It's not ready to be used.

I did take time here and there to at least work on the script for Odyssey-46 and that much is now finished. I think it's 20 minutes of video time, so figure 30 hours to finish. I also got my daughter to record the Valentina and Svetlana parts, so there's nothing left to do except film and edit. It won't be done by Monday though.

I go on vacation next week. I'll be gone for two weeks, so the next video of ANY series probably won't be until August 3rd at the earliest unless I do something really small, and not a series.

Enjoy your vacation, well deserved.

Additionally, do you have any problems or special wishes for welding; I might dig a bit into it. ;)

Ohhh welding requests!? Why yes...

These are in order of priority by my desire.

Make it work with TweakScale. :) When I weld scaled parts, they come in at their base size or something, not their tweak scaled size, and I need to edit the CFG and change them after doing some math to figure out all the proper scaled values.

Also, only 3-4 digits of precision are useful. Any number smaller than 0.0001 ought to be truncated to 0 instead of showing -4.8265e-18 or whatever.

I also wish the output was more like this:

whatever = 1.23, 3.45, 6.78

The spaces after the commas makes it easier to read when I am in there hand editing afterward.

I also would rather not have to see lines that have no effect on the models, such as these:

scale = 1, 1, 1
rotation = 0, 0, 360

I'll think about it and see if there were more. This reminds me I also need to download it if there's been a new version. It's been a while for me. Maybe I should have just forked and done some of these by myself, but I always have so many things I want to do...

Ohhh welding requests!? Why yes...

These are in order of priority by my desire.

Make it work with TweakScale. :) When I weld scaled parts, they come in at their base size or something, not their tweak scaled size, and I need to edit the CFG and change them after doing some math to figure out all the proper scaled values.

Yeah that is something that makes me wonder, because some tweakscales work and some just get ignored, might be related to the Transform that gets modified.

Also, only 3-4 digits of precision are useful. Any number smaller than 0.0001 ought to be truncated to 0 instead of showing -4.8265e-18 or whatever.

The new version should already be limited to 6 digits, maybe I can make it configurable for the amount of digits. But these e-x values are still something that happens, not sure how to avoid them.

I also wish the output was more like this:
whatever = 1.23, 3.45, 6.78

The spaces after the commas makes it easier to read when I am in there hand editing afterward.

Hmm this could possibly be done with a new method for writing these values into the config.

I also would rather not have to see lines that have no effect on the models, such as these:
scale = 1, 1, 1
rotation = 0, 0, 360

I'll think about it and see if there were more. This reminds me I also need to download it if there's been a new version. It's been a while for me. Maybe I should have just forked and done some of these by myself, but I always have so many things I want to do...

These "no effect" lines are something for safety, the parts original parts may not be have original value of 1 in scale, KW has this quite often.

Pull requests are always welcome.

Maybe having just a ported version from 1.0.4 to 0.25 could already help.

In the past (not sure if still true) the root part mattered for scale in some way. Maybe if the root was scaled and then things attached to it, that messed it up somehow. When the root was not scaled, everything else was fine. I noticed this with root part rotations too. I once made a large part welded from LLL parts and when I looked at the aftermath every part was scaled wrong and even rotated wrong. I had to do the whole thing by hand. Things usually worked a bit better if the root was not rotated but that was not always true. So in the end I never figured out the pattern for what caused problems and what did not.

When I want to avoid very small numbers, I do something like this:

floatVar = (float)((int)(floatVar*1000)/1000)

Chances of an overflow are minimal.

The rescaleFactor=1 and scale=1 in the PART section are needed on old parts like KW, just as you said. I am referring to the MODEL sections.

MODEL

{

model = foo/foo/foo

scale = 1,1,1

rotation = 0,0,360

position =0,0,-4,284736e-18

}

All three of the lines after the model line are not needed. I routinely delete them from my welds by hand afterward to keep the files cleaner.

In the past (not sure if still true) the root part mattered for scale in some way. Maybe if the root was scaled and then things attached to it, that messed it up somehow. When the root was not scaled, everything else was fine. I noticed this with root part rotations too. I once made a large part welded from LLL parts and when I looked at the aftermath every part was scaled wrong and even rotated wrong. I had to do the whole thing by hand. Things usually worked a bit better if the root was not rotated but that was not always true. So in the end I never figured out the pattern for what caused problems and what did not.

When I want to avoid very small numbers, I do something like this:

floatVar = (float)((int)(floatVar*1000)/1000)

Chances of an overflow are minimal.

The rescaleFactor=1 and scale=1 in the PART section are needed on old parts like KW, just as you said. I am referring to the MODEL sections.

MODEL

{

model = foo/foo/foo

scale = 1,1,1

rotation = 0,0,360

position =0,0,-4,284736e-18

}

All three of the lines after the model line are not needed. I routinely delete them from my welds by hand afterward to keep the files cleaner.

The Position of 0,0,0 should not happen that often in a single weldment ;)

Doubled casting, that is not really nicest workaround but in the end better than e-x :)

My goal would be to weld, open it in a text editor, say "ok what do I need to change now to clean this up?" and have the answer be "nothing!" That's my dream. If I get a chance, some day, I will give you a pull request, but don't hold your breath! I always have the best intentions and then I end up just playing the game instead of working on mods.

I welded 5 panels together and got this:

{
model = Squad/Parts/Structural/structuralPanel1x1/model
position = -2.000001,-0.01189604,0.001290798 // could reduce precision without a problem
scale = 1,1,1 // don't need this line
rotation = 0,0,0 // don't need this line
}
MODEL
{
position = -1,-0.002582456,-0.001204967
rotation = 359.9999,180,180 // 359.9999 should say 0
}
MODEL
{
position = -2.384186E-07,-0.002172853,0.0003242493 // this ought to be 0,0,0 or just deleted
rotation = 360,360,1.878302E-05 // don't need this line
}
MODEL
{
position = 1.000001,0.005624388,-0.001764774 // could reduce precision without a problem
}
MODEL
{
position = 2.000001,0.01102695,0.001354694 // could reduce precision without a problem
rotation = 359.9999,359.9999,2.049062E-05 // don't need this line
}
MODEL

Edited by Felbourn

My goal would be to weld, open it in a text editor, say "ok what do I need to change now to clean this up?" and have the answer be "nothing!" That's my dream. If I get a chance, some day, I will give you a pull request, but don't hold your breath! I always have the best intentions and then I end up just playing the game instead of working on mods.

I welded 5 panels together and got this:

{
position = -2.000001,-0.01189604,0.001290798 // could reduce precision without a problem
rotation = 0,0,0 // don't need this line
}
MODEL
{
position = -1,-0.002582456,-0.001204967
}
MODEL
{
position = -2.384186E-07,-0.002172853,0.0003242493 // this ought to be 0,0,0 or just deleted
rotation = 360,360,1.878302E-05 // don't need this line
}
MODEL
{
position = 1.000001,0.005624388,-0.001764774 // could reduce precision without a problem
}
MODEL
{
position = 2.000001,0.01102695,0.001354694 // could reduce precision without a problem
rotation = 359.9999,359.9999,2.049062E-05 // don't need this line
}
MODEL

I will see what I can do.

But precision configuration is something that I will add easily.

Playing the game is really nice, and needed otherwise the motivation, to do more, will be lost.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.