Project Odyssey: adventures getting home from an alternate dimension

Felbourn

We launched two deep space communications satellites to extend our reach toward Duna.

j9bmshm.png

The Fregat class booster can be seen in the previous image as well as this one, right after it has finished its job and decoupled from the primary satellite.

psaIbdf.png

In our previous dimension, Komalak is searching for us, but we're of course nowhere to be found on the previous Kerbin.

yHqgz11.png

We're launching a new space station module in this large 5m rocket.

Bcaz7vr.png

We dock it to the side of the Odyssey II that's already in orbit.

FHSAR5g.png

Our space tug can be seen on the end of the new section. We'll leave it there for now and use it again later.

szdjLPm.png

Finally, another huge rocket with a 5m fairing is taking a collection of eleven satellites to Duna all at the same time.

akU9wAU.png

Watch as the saga continues...

Nice Ares I like launcher for the New Hydra III in ep 25... (I miss the NASA Constellation Program)

Seriously your videos are great, fantastic job, a good balance of VAB, flying, and story...

Already waiting for next monday episode...

I just wanted to say, Felbourn, I love your videos! You put so much work into each and every one with proper sets (sad they've wiped), high-quality editing, friendly commentary, science, and incredible ingame feats. That launch you spent extra time on in E26 was fantastic! I also loved learning about the ISS in Project Gateway. Also, where did you get that snazzy RCS thruster sound mod?

--Joe8

I just wanted to say, Felbourn, I love your videos! You put so much work into each and every one with proper sets (sad they've wiped), high-quality editing, friendly commentary, science, and incredible ingame feats. That launch you spent extra time on in E26 was fantastic! I also loved learning about the ISS in Project Gateway. Also, where did you get that snazzy RCS thruster sound mod?

--Joe8

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52896-0-25-RCS-Sound-(and-light!)-Effects

Hi Felbourn!

First of all, I've to say that I love your videos (previous getaway project and actual odyssey one)! I specially like how you share this with your daughter, a good way to send them into the science path :P. I'd love to the the same with mine, but she is still too young, anyway, you gave me good inspiration.

About the series, I'm sorry about your loss, but is a good way to improve the models, as you did. I just wanted to ask you something, because I do a different approach, why you don't use the Eart-Moon L4 and L5 relays to connect with your DSN in Sun-Earth L4 and L5? This will give continuous link with the DSN, something that a Molniya orbit is not giving unless you deploy more than one satellite... Is just my approach because I like continuous links and I don't like the "point active vessel" option, since I consider it unrealistic. (not being critic, I'm just curious). By the way, still waiting for your explanation of why you prefer Kethane to Karbonite. I moved to this last one even if I don't like the idea of infinite resources areas, I like the concentration Idea but they should have made it possible to deplete...

In my case, I also use a completely recoverable SSTO rocket family, even if I need to "cheat" a little bit with DR to make nice re-entries, just waiting for this to be available and make it more realistic.

I think you should move into 0.25 as soon as possible, not to have the same problem again when updating. In my case I did it last monday, but still modifying, since I found some odd things, like KW rocketry motors being undersized.... But well, hope to solve it soon. By the way, there is a new version of Ubiowelder for 0.25 here. One last thing, do you know if there is any mod that makes the radiation issue more realistic? Interstellar is measuring, but is not giving any consequence or parts to solve it (I simulate the shield increasing the weight of some command modules and using other heavy ones as an emergency refuge)

Cheers!

@landerote: I wanted to keep Mun L4-5 "pure" by having them there for one purpose: Mun comm. If I were going to use "Kerbin-local" satellites to communicate to the DS sats then I could also just as easily do it from KSO or even LKO. Also, Mun is not guaranteed to connect either. Almost nothing is guaranteed without a lot of backup satellites. In the case of Mun I might be on the other side of DSC-L5 (for example) which would make Kerbin itself be the blocking body. A Molniya serves too purposes: (1) it's going 43 m/s at AP and 3225 m/s at PE which means it's spending DAYS near AP with full view of the entire solar system except what is just beyond the sun itself, and (2) it's damn cool looking, fun to do, fun to have, and makes a great video centerpiece.

I like searching for resources before I can use them, though I do prefer the "hot spot" type of resources AFTER they have been discovered. I want both mods to have a baby.

I have been moving to 0.25 for a week now, so I am behind, and I think that means almost no video this week.

I do not like "Active Vessel" for RT. That feels like cheating.

I do not know of a radiation mod.

As for the 2 ideas put forth in E27... I say idea 1 - real solar system, history based etc. Sounds awesome. It would be awesome to find someone to collaborate with, so you two could do a "spa race" thing. Every otheer pisode would be an opposing super power would tell their side of the story about the history of space exploration.

But in short...idea 1.

What Seb said^ Though I would be just as happy with the normal Kerbol system. I am not sure if I would enjoy watching V2s an some inter-ballistic missiles for the first 10 episodes, on the other hand i never thought I would enjoy watching somebody playing 'a space sym'.

What Seb said^ Though I would be just as happy with the normal Kerbol system. I am not sure if I would enjoy watching V2s an some inter-ballistic missiles for the first 10 episodes, on the other hand i never thought I would enjoy watching somebody playing 'a space sym'.

Hey, I prefer option one myself, mainly because I've never seen a commentary of RSS.

But what about playing in Alternis Kerbol (is that thing still working?) It's not as large as RSS, doesn't need any mods beside itself (and maybe Kerbal Engineer and minor stuff like that). Would be fresh and new as well, as I never dabbled into it.

Just a thought.

I'll make a pilot episode of each idea before I decide for sure. :)

The first episodes of RSS would not be ten V2s. It would probably cover ALL of the 1940s and 1950s. In fact, that's almost a good metric. If every episode were roughly one year of our time, I'd catch up to now in approximately 70-80 episodes. There's no way to know for sure right now though. It's not planned out enough.

L

Hey, I prefer option one myself, mainly because I've never seen a commentary of RSS......

Just a thought.

Tyler Raiz has a nice YouTube series with RSS. Very realistic, with downloadable press documents and everything.

L

Tyler Raiz has a nice YouTube series with RSS. Very realistic, with downloadable press documents and everything.

I am pretty sure I've seen some RSS stuff from Felbourn/Bob as well; A Zarya launch and a Spaceshuttle if I remember correctly.

I am pretty sure I've seen some RSS stuff from Felbourn/Bob as well; A Zarya launch and a Spaceshuttle if I remember correctly.

Yes, I have done these that are recorded, and a Juno launch to Jupiter that is still in raw footage and needs to be edited:

Everyone always asks about this shuttle too... I got it here. I had to resize it for RSS though.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Felbourn

which one ? not labeled and has multiple series/video... oh well.

I had the same issue. I tried to treat the original comment about this other guy as a helpful suggestion for reference material rather than a thinly veiled promotion and quality comparison (hoping for the best in humanity) but saw nothing that was RSS. I don't think I'll be trying to look again though even if a link gets added. The promotional channel intro video was batter than some, but still too much of a "Let's Play" style. I find that style to be too slow for me. I want more content per episode. The first couple minutes didn't even change focus from the side of a fuel tank. :(

I had the same issue. I tried to treat the original comment about this other guy as a helpful suggestion for reference material rather than a thinly veiled promotion and quality comparison (hoping for the best in humanity) but saw nothing that was RSS. I don't think I'll be trying to look again though even if a link gets added. The promotional channel intro video was batter than some, but still too much of a "Let's Play" style. I find that style to be too slow for me. I want more content per episode. The first couple minutes didn't even change focus from the side of a fuel tank. :(

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCME4g9QliCw5KVDdW9w0GJw This guy does some awesome stuff though and pretty well montaged. I am nowhere near there :( I tried a couple of times though and I enjoyed it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.