Project Odyssey: adventures getting home from an alternate dimension

Felbourn

There have been speculations about what caused the explosion. I never said why, but I knew why even as it happened. It has happened before during Hydra development. The explosion was from KSP thinking an engine inside a fairing below the primary fairing was actually penetrating the second fairing as if it were solid instead of hollow. KSP tries to shift the parts out of each other, but at a certian limit it explodes instead. This is easily testable in the game with creative use of non-physical time warp to get two parts to intersect.

In the last episode you said you might refuel the craft at the Mun. I don't know how far you are into the next episode, but it might be more expensive to send a refueler than another craft of the same specifications.

Svetlana still has to go, which means she can take fuel with her. But... an interesting discussion topic! So let's consider your suggestion. The cost of a flight is going to be exponentially proportional to the mass being transported. The amount of fuel needed to land the payload currently at Mun is necessarily lower than the mass of the craft and the fuel combined, so we need to compare the dry mass of the satellite to the dry mass of the tank transporting the fuel. It seems like it still ought to be lower. There are many unnecessary components in the current satellite, and those would not be transported with a fuel-only mission. Additionally, the first mission failed and needs the decoupler redesigned. The engine is inside two fairings and KSP does not support that well. This will require a redesign that a fuel-only mission probably doesn't need since I do have a cargo transport already.

Svetlana still has to go, which means she can take fuel with her. But... an interesting discussion topic! So let's consider your suggestion. The cost of a flight is going to be exponentially proportional to the mass being transported. The amount of fuel needed to land the payload currently at Mun is necessarily lower than the mass of the craft and the fuel combined, so we need to compare the dry mass of the satellite to the dry mass of the tank transporting the fuel. It seems like it still ought to be lower. There are many unnecessary components in the current satellite, and those would not be transported with a fuel-only mission. Additionally, the first mission failed and needs the decoupler redesigned. The engine is inside two fairings and KSP does not support that well. This will require a redesign that a fuel-only mission probably doesn't need since I do have a cargo transport already.

First off, haven't gotten to the recent episode, so you may have to give me the bare bones of the problem. However, I think that subzero is onto something! You use KAS, so if you send what is essentially the same spacecraft (automated?), you can use what remains in the tank of the "stranded" ship into the newer one. Far safer, and if it fails, there could be a contingency of extra food to cover the time it would take to try again. (following Bill's (was it Bill's?) wish to have backups for everything)

• 5 weeks later...

Do you have any plans to update the github page with the more up to date content? It's been a great help with getting the amazing looking parts that you've been using on your Hydra launcher, but it seems to be a couple of months behind and is missing the newer space station sections and the moon base modules.

Do you have any plans to update the github page with the more up to date content? It's been a great help with getting the amazing looking parts that you've been using on your Hydra launcher, but it seems to be a couple of months behind and is missing the newer space station sections and the moon base modules.

Right. I keep forgetting to actually Sync. I did it now.

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Felbourn again.'

Hi Bob, quick question (also asked on youtube) since I've been messing around to make my Kerbin look as pretty as yours. I am running EVE and yesterday I tried Better Atmospheres. But still my clouds didn't look as pretty as yours (actually turned the whole atmosphere blue and I could barely see where KSC was. Nor did it give me the thunderstorms :( Could you please tell me which EVE settings and Mods you are using? It would be very much appreciated if you could help me out. Thanks!

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Felbourn again.'

Hi Bob, quick question (also asked on youtube) since I've been messing around to make my Kerbin look as pretty as yours. I am running EVE and yesterday I tried Better Atmospheres. But still my clouds didn't look as pretty as yours (actually turned the whole atmosphere blue and I could barely see where KSC was. Nor did it give me the thunderstorms :( Could you please tell me which EVE settings and Mods you are using? It would be very much appreciated if you could help me out. Thanks!

I use my own custom cloud setting that include changes from several popular mods like Astronomer's and Better Atmosphere.

I use my own custom cloud setting that include changes from several popular mods like Astronomer's and Better Atmosphere.

Thanks! Gave it a try last night, but failed to get it to work. KSP just crashed. I think I'll just stick to EVE with some minor changes.. Still think the lightning is pretty awesome though.. I'll try a few more times to get it to work :-)

Good luck with the next episode!

Thanks! Gave it a try last night, but failed to get it to work. KSP just crashed. I think I'll just stick to EVE with some minor changes.. Still think the lightning is pretty awesome though.. I'll try a few more times to get it to work :-)

Good luck with the next episode!

I'm pretty sure the lightning was just a drag and drop of Astronomer's lightning, if I recall correctly.

Tomorrow is another Odyssey episode instead of Alexandria. If you remember, I started Alexandria because I was a little burned out on only doing Odyssey. But then I had three weeks where I did NO Odyssey. I bet you remember that, too. :) Anyway, that time off gave me the breather I needed, AND there have been issues with the install getting older. It's still 0.25 for example, there's no way I can upgrade, and for all I know we'll have 1.0 in our hands before I have finished. It's time, therefore, to seriously think about how to bring it to a end, and that probably means doing more episodes of it for now. I will resume Alexandria once I have Odyssey a little further along. Another reason is Odyssey has a story that gets stale if left alone. Alexandria on the other hand is history, and 1961 is not going anywhere. The story won't get stale between now and when I do another episode of it. ;) Odyssey might.

So... get ready for more frequent Odyssey again.

Last week:

We made it half way to the Hadfield rendezvous. The Mun base is almost complete, and gets completed next week (shown below).

This week:

We finally recover our poor stranded comrade. He'll be heading home now, and next episode we'll finish his medicine.

I noticed you had messed with your sun brightness, I couldn't find anything about it on your github, do you remember how you did it?

This question was asked on my YouTube channel as well so I decided to dig into my install instructions and answer it here. Anyone asking about it can now be directed here.

The only thing I did to my sun was this, shown below.

I'm copying this straight from my install instructions as they are today, so if anything changes in the future then this will be out of date.

download UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2

use it to open KSP_Data\sharedassets10.assets

select and extract sun_flare.tex (be sure it's converting to DDS)

download http://filesmelt.com/dl/eRe4s3rs_Sunflare.zip

extract the ZIP sun_flare.dds to copy over your extracted sun_flare.dds (goes in Users subdirectory)

select and import that DDS back into sharedassets10.assets as sun_flare.tex

save and exit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.