What is the most dramatic topography you've landed near?

Kurtvw

This is on the Mun, near the north pole at 'Highland Craters' -- Its a about a mile to the top of those cliffs! I was impressed.

Had something like that once, except I uh "landed" at the top of the cliff. The lander promptly fell over...

Fortunately I was able to roll it over on its side and off the edge of the cliff, restart the engines and go home. Didn't even lose any parts.

I recently landed in the "Slope" biome on Minmus. The ground was sloped about 60^ to the horizontal. A Kerbal could jump down from the capsule and stand on the ground OK, but if he took a single step, he'd go into a slide, then a tumble, and bounce all the way down the hill, not stopping until reaching a "lake bed" far below after a 3500m ride. And he was incapable of walking back. The only way to get home was to jetpack all the way and land on top of the lander.

Well...

15xpd7q.png

A Mun canyon. It's the one that offshoots from the equatorial crater. Not exactly dramatic, but certainly a tricky bit of piloting. And it was a pretty nice view...

Edited by Starwhip

I still think the poles on Mun have some of the most awesome (and in places quite inhospitable) terrain. The north pole has some really deep craters and the south pole has some interesting rough terrain that almost looks like the remains of some ancient city might be buried under them (at least that's what I thought when I first flew over).

I really like the north pole, the twilight gives it an eerie feeling and you also have a constant line of sight to Kerbin which is great for setting a land based comms centre of you use remote tech.

I recently landed in the "Slope" biome on Minmus. The ground was sloped about 60^ to the horizontal. A Kerbal could jump down from the capsule and stand on the ground OK, but if he took a single step, he'd go into a slide, then a tumble, and bounce all the way down the hill, not stopping until reaching a "lake bed" far below after a 3500m ride. And he was incapable of walking back. The only way to get home was to jetpack all the way and land on top of the lander.

For a lot of my early landers, I forgo the use of ladders for that very reason, they could jetpack back to the hatch ....

I think sometimes my more picturesque moments are during the ascent back off the surface.

KSP%202014-02-18%2016-20-57-63.jpg

Overlooking the edge of a crater is always fun.

KSP%202014-02-20%2019-13-54-40.jpg

Though I do love just about any with a planet rising above the horizon.

KSP%202014-02-18%2018-14-10-40.jpg

And even though it's in the dark, a view of the dead Kraken, with Jool over the horizon:

KSP%202014-03-26%2020-39-01-56.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

Successfully? I've put multiple landers into the canyon just off the east farside crater on the moon, which is really steep. Flat floor though, which is why I've used it.

Unsuccessfully.. My first ever landing attempt on anything was on Minmus, and I wasn't aware just how steep the terrain is when you get away from the flats. That didn't go well.

Guys its been really cool to see some of these submissions - sorry I've been away a few days and haven't been able to cheer each one as they came in!

Lots of fun, and gives me great ideas for my future explorations!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.