[WIP] Land-Based Habitat Modules

cxg2827

Since I started playing this game, I've never sent Kerbals out past Minmus with the exception of an Eve and Duna free-return fly-bys. I could never bring myself to sending Kerbals in a command pod on a +50day mission since it didnt feel right, of feel any more challenging or rewarding than sending an unmanned probe. Adding Hitchhikers helps with it, but the size and aesthetics made me feel like they were meant more for space stations and short-duration transport.

The habitats that I plan on making will take into account space required for things such as crew quarters, lavatory, shower, airlocks, passageways, life support, food and equipment storage, etc.

The first Habitat that I am working on will be 3.75M and have a usable capacity for 3 Kerbals. The habitat is roughly the size of the KW 3.75M SC-1 tank. It is loosely modeled off of the Mars Direct Hab.

Here is a conceptual model that I started to get the general layout. I plan on modeling the interior and adding IVAs.

Upper Level (3 Sleeping Quarters, Common Area, and Galley)

zi6isax.png

Lower Level (Shower, Toilet, Exercise, Storage, Science, EVA Prep, and Airlock)

jRU0u0C.png

These will be re-created in Blender to get better meshing, but I quickly made it and converted just to give a visual in sketchfab

This is my first mod, so it will keep me occupied for some time. But future plans if all goes well:

2.5M Horizontal Hab Modules

2.5M In-Line Retractable Landing Legs/Rocket-Assisted Landing Package

5M Vertical 2-Level Hab

Edited by cxg2827

Very cool, though I hope the landing gear, etc. are separate parts; I wish more mods like this broke their stuff out for greater modularity.

Yea, I think that will be a good idea.

Progress. Never textured before so it looks like garbage for now.

4XJgBHh.png

TvDIU6Z.png

Starting to get a better handle on basic texturing. I'm thinking of doing more of a white color scheme with panels and rivets. Any comments/suggestions/recommendations?

gcf6SZI.jpg

Since I started playing this game, I've never sent Kerbals out past Minmus with the exception of an Eve and Duna free-return fly-bys. I could never bring myself to sending Kerbals in a command pod on a +50day mission since it didnt feel right, of feel any more challenging or rewarding than sending an unmanned probe. Adding Hitchhikers helps with it, but the size and aesthetics made me feel like they were meant more for space stations and short-duration transport.

As true as it gets :) Looks very impressive so far!

here is an idea I have for the 2.5M landing legs.

I like the look of this, but I'm confused how they mount and extend from the module.

I had an idea, but don't have the skills to model it.

I wanted to make a low profile set of landing legs that would sit, in-line with a module. I'm imagining something styled like the Atlas low profile engine. They would fold flat into recesses in a base. The pivot point would be nearest to the outside edge of the bottom. They'd swing about 270* outward. Let me sketch it out if you're interested.

Love this idea! Your models look great, too! Hey, if you need someone to handle the texturing, I can do that for you! Just provide me with the model and the UV unwrap with notes on what wrap is what, and I'll get right on it! That way, you can spend more time modeling and getting stuff worked out. If you really need me to, I can also add detail to the models for ya! I'm always full of ideas, and would love to work with you if you would like the help!

I like the look of this, but I'm confused how they mount and extend from the module.

The 2.5M legs are going to attach to both ends of the 2.5M modules. Unlike the 3.75M, the 2.5 cylindrical habitats will be oriented horizontally. They extend by having the pneumatic rams at the top push the legs out. The bottom bar is a fixed length and gives a pivot point. The feet will rotate, and the outer pads will straighten out to become level with the center one that pivots on the leg assembly.

If you click inside the posted imgur album and navigate between the images with the arrow keys, you can go back and forth between the last 2 and it could help you see it a bit better.

I had an idea, but don't have the skills to model it.

I wanted to make a low profile set of landing legs that would sit, in-line with a module. I'm imagining something styled like the Atlas low profile engine. They would fold flat into recesses in a base. The pivot point would be nearest to the outside edge of the bottom. They'd swing about 270* outward. Let me sketch it out if you're interested.

I think I know what you are suggesting. I'll make a quick concept and post the images tonight.

Love this idea! Your models look great, too! Hey, if you need someone to handle the texturing, I can do that for you! Just provide me with the model and the UV unwrap with notes on what wrap is what, and I'll get right on it! That way, you can spend more time modeling and getting stuff worked out. If you really need me to, I can also add detail to the models for ya! I'm always full of ideas, and would love to work with you if you would like the help!

PM inbound.

The ones in sketchfab are just quick conversions from solidworks to get my idea out. I've been redoing the modeling in blender so it's optimized

Ah, I see. Well, I still think in order to match most parts, the cylinders should have 24 sides, but otherwise perfect, then. Ey, get back to me so I can start texturing, dude!

The 2.5M legs are going to attach to both ends of the 2.5M modules. Unlike the 3.75M, the 2.5 cylindrical habitats will be oriented horizontally.

That makes infinitely more sense. Right on, those'll look rad!

I think I know what you are suggesting. I'll make a quick concept and post the images tonight.

I've got blender downloaded on my desktop, trying to watch some tutorials so I can try my hand at modeling some parts eventually. Looking forward to those concept images!