[WIP] Land-Based Habitat Modules

cxg2827

Not quite what I had imagined, but that also looks really nice.

I was thinking the legs would make an X shape on the bottom of the module, and then swing downwards 180-ish degrees away from the stowed position. Definitely explained this poorly the first time. I was imagining they'd have two cylindrical struts like the stock legs, but the smaller of the two is free floating until it gets extended completely. It meets the larger strut say halfway along it's length, and the free floating end has a "U" shaped brace that clicks onto a recessed structural ring further towards the top of the module.

I'm really going to need to try and sketch this out haha.

EDIT: Please ignore my laughable artistic ability.

t0P7iXOl.jpg

EDIT 2:

Porkjet beat me to it. His model is definitely on the small and flimsy side though. I think the legs ought to be a big heftier for a larger hab.

ObSNwoz.jpg

Edited by Torxhead
Added Image

I'm not technically ready to normal map the textures yet, but I'm seeing what this program can do for me, it's producing some nice results! This is just a test, and won't represent the final normal map, it's mainly just the drawing converted to greyscale and then to a normal map.

Screenshot%202014-04-25%2013.45.47.png?_subject_uid=290889430&w=AAAFi5WNlsTYafT2Pu6ouSYMkCchDUBe5FgZ5kHf4-ewxw

A small point, both kinds of landing gear prototyped in this thread have been made by BobCat.

Hm..Well, I've seen my fair share of modders doing something that's been done before, but whether it be because they didn't know, or don't care, I think it's more because they can and want to.

Still, I think we could still individualize the landing gear. Maybe by adding rover wheels to it? That way, you could move the habitats to a better location after landing. The wheels would have a lot of power, but be incredibly slow, as a balancing feature.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3M hab got a bit of a model overhaul, and the first post has been updated with a new sketchfab viewer.

One thing I wanted to get a feel from people is regarding the passageways on the lower level. Currently, they are 90 degrees apart, so if someone wanted to connect several with straight tunnels, it would make a square with 4 habs, one at each corner. I was considering modifying it so that the passage ways are opposite of one another, so that you can hook these up in a line. Any people have opinions for one over the other?

Some ideas and comments from me :3

- I'd prefer the landing package (engines) to be a separate, flat module (similar to the B9 ATLAS engine). It makes the part more modular, not only can you just "not use it" if you don't need it, you can also use the landing package for a different part/module.

- You were talking about and showing landing legs which reminded me a lot about those in the old HOME/BASE-pack, I'd really love to see similar ones. The first ones you showed (fitting for a module that is "lying") were already awesome (mostly because they're inline :D but I also loved the design). But I was kinda sad that you seemed to like the other drawn design for "normal" landing legs more when it came to a "standing" design. Again, I'd love to see an inline-version here, it's so damn useful. The Habitat Pack someone mentioned does already have legs that aren't inline, so an inline-module would be really, really awesome!

- I had something else in mind, but forgot it >.<

Anyway, awesome work so far!

- I'd prefer the landing package (engines) to be a separate, flat module (similar to the B9 ATLAS engine). It makes the part more modular, not only can you just "not use it" if you don't need it, you can also use the landing package for a different part/module.

I was flip-flopping over this idea. The original intent for this hab was to be similar to the "Mars Duna Direct" design, where it would have parachute-assisted landing, and then cut the shoots prior to landing, and use the propulsion to bring it down the rest of the way, and do any minor landing orientation/position correction. As I have it configured right now, it has about 150m/s Delta-V, as much as the FL-T100 fuel tank.

If I make it more modular, then it can be used more like the "Mars Duna Semi-Direct" design, where the hab section was used both for the land base, as well as for the transfer vehicle. But, then I'm not sure if i should make the landing package similar to how I have it now, or more like that superstructure with the spherical tanks at the top? I want to make sure that its not too bulky, so that it can be launched via a 3M rocket and fit inside fairings.

Transfer Vehicle on the right

0422zubrin_mars_e.jpg

Land Hab

0422zubrin_mars_d.jpg

- You were talking about and showing landing legs which reminded me a lot about those in the old HOME/BASE-pack, I'd really love to see similar ones. The first ones you showed (fitting for a module that is "lying") were already awesome (mostly because they're inline :D but I also loved the design). But I was kinda sad that you seemed to like the other drawn design for "normal" landing legs more when it came to a "standing" design. Again, I'd love to see an inline-version here, it's so damn useful. The Habitat Pack someone mentioned does already have legs that aren't inline, so an inline-module would be really, really awesome!

I'm still going to make the "lying" landing legs. And those will be first, before the "standing" one.

- I had something else in mind, but forgot it >.<

post when you remember! :)

Here is a quick shot of the expanding Heatshield. playing around a bit with its size before i get to animating the leafs.

cQywEhp.png

And another round of feedback... You're doing a great job with responding to comments, that makes people (or at least me :D) love to comment again.

I saw something similar to that superstructure-thing, i think in the showcases, a while ago. Modular Kolonization Something. Personally, I found it looked butt-ugly, but that's just me and also depending on the model work, which I didn't find that appealing. I think it's a difficult thing to pull off to make it look good, so I'd refrain from that.

I'll make some quick sketches of what my ideas would be. Images say more than a thousand words in broken English >.<

Edit: So much for feedback, lol :D Okay, it'll come once I did my few sketches :D

And another round of feedback... You're doing a great job with responding to comments, that makes people (or at least me :D) love to comment again.

I saw something similar to that superstructure-thing, i think in the showcases, a while ago. Modular Kolonization Something. Personally, I found it looked butt-ugly, but that's just me and also depending on the model work, which I didn't find that appealing. I think it's a difficult thing to pull off to make it look good, so I'd refrain from that.

I'll make some quick sketches of what my ideas would be. Images say more than a thousand words in broken English >.<

Edit: So much for feedback, lol :D Okay, it'll come once I did my few sketches :D

How polite. You know, there's this old saying about 'if you don't have something nice to say'...

As said, it's a matter of personal taste (which should be obviously when I say "personally" and "that's just me" and "I didn't find that appealing"). I didn't generalize and never said IT IS butt-ugly or that the model-work is bad, just that I personally don't like how it looks.

If you want to take it personally whenever someone dislikes your work, feel free to do so. If I were you, I'd rather look at the download count and think for myself "for everyone like her who doesn't like it, there are 10 who like and download it" :)

Edit: But I do like how your Hollow Asteroid mod looks. I would definitely use it, if I would do more (well, anything :D) with asteroids. Maybe at some point.

Anyway and back to topic:

ib1X5vrmcCMz3N.png

That's kinda what I meant with modularity. Not only does it mean one can mix/match within the mod, but the parts could also be used outside, like the ultra-flat engines which can always be used for different landers.

Ideas I would particularly appreciate:

- Change the top of the main module to be 2.5m size, that way one can put a 2.5m-docking port on there, which would make the whole lander wobble a lot less on an interplanetary lander.

- The same goes for the landing engines, that way the whole lander can be "in line" on a ship and doesn't HAVE to be on top. Still could be, but doesn't has to be.

- Your fold-able heatshield gave me an idea in conjunction to this: If folded correctly, it could cover a stock 2m docking port, so that - again - the whole thing could be somewhere in-line in a larger craft

But those are just ideas, I also noticed that the "rounded" flat engine - while looking nice without the sharp edge - would interfere with a heat-shield design-wise... meh :D

Cheers, cy

Edited by cy-one

It's a work in progress; maybe if he presented it as 'finished product' you'd have a case, but you don't. Take your rudeness somewhere else.

Guys, try reading a bit more carefully...her comment stated that Modular Kolonization had issues, and was trying to provide better ideas for this mod. She provided valid opinions on how to improve the current work.

Personally, I feel cxg2827 is doing great work with this. Asking for feedback is very tough, because you have to expect some comments are going to be less than what you had hoped, but it provides a huge boost to the OP when others jump in to try to help refine the designs like cy-one is attempting. Don't forget she's translating from German, ideas may not come out exactly as whats in her head.

I also think the folded heat shield needs some work, which is expected at this stage. The rest of the concept looks great, especially the stack mount 2.5m legs (with the spade shape guiding the legs). This would force the pod to land horizontally, which is a huge aesthetic improvement over conventional vertical modules.