• bahamutoD
    • Orionkermin
    • mordin86
    • Orionkermin
    • Snjo
    • Tiberion
    • Capt.Kipard
    • StarVision

Im trying to keep things dirt simple so everyone can play along. Blender, Gimp, and Unity are all free and excellent programs to get your feet wet. Many programs also have a 30 day free trial so you can figure out which one is best for you.

Good modeling and texture techniques are universal, so it will not matter what your using.

This is a very good initiative! On the down side, it requires a basic level of knowledge which is often the problem for most wannabe developers. I myself have tried several times to design/build a part but i never succeeded in getting it succesfully into KSP. After some tries i usually give up.

My latest attempt was the Pook shuttle

This is a fantastic idea, kind of like the monthly noob challenge on Polycount.

I'll likely by making models for some of the challenges, but wont be entering into the challenge (it'd give me an unfair advantage over people new to this).

I'm curious, does anyone else use maya to make their parts?

I use Maya (student edition) for my models and Photoshop for textures, and can offer tips for the software.

If you go the free route, there are many alternatives, the most notable being Blender for 3D modelling, and Gimp for texturing. Xnormal is also a good tool for baking normals, cavity maps, AO etc.

I'm excited to see what the first challenge will be.

I posted this on the main page so it does not get lost. I hope to keep adding to it as time goes on. It may be better to start a new thread for each week but I like the idea of all the info in one thread, as massive as that may be....

Also added a new rule to part picking for the winner.

The part must be different visually than any previous part (be creative, if a fuel tank was done last week do a science part this one)

There will be a list of all parts per week in the first post

Week 1 Project -Starting a bit early since its the first one.

Friday 4/11 at 3pm cst and ends Thursday 4/17 at 3pm cst

Create a small radial attached fuel tank that looks like it can carry all 3 of these fuels at the same time.

9 units of LiquidFuel

11 units of Oxidizer

10 units of MonoPropellant

Your first step should be to gather reference to get a general idea of what you want your tank to look like.

This is a very simple example of what it may look like. Yours should look different than this one.

muX0Yu8.jpg

Other reference ideas. Google is your friend!

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+tank&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DBhIU_66I6Pg2AXPl4DYBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1513&bih=800#q=liquid+h2+tank&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+tank&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DBhIU_66I6Pg2AXPl4DYBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1513&bih=800#q=+propane+tank&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+tank&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DBhIU_66I6Pg2AXPl4DYBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1513&bih=800#q=liquid+fuel+model+rocket&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=-sIhVatOBwd23M%253A%3B8L_-cQB4TlFB5M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblogs.scientificamerican.com%252Fobservations%252Ffiles%252F2012%252F02%252FGENIE-Xombie.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblogs.scientificamerican.com%252Fobservations%252F2012%252F02%252F16%252Frobot-rocket-knows-when-to-fly-when-to-hover-video%252F%3B480%3B640

Edited by frizzank

My first thoughts are towards creating an untraditional shape, and extra functionality. I will endeavour to embellish in an educational manner though :)

DiSDCAN.png

Oh, and as an addendum to the things frizzank has said in the OP, I'd say don't be afraid to be inspired by other people's ideas in this thread (or otherwise), cause this is about what you learn during the process more than anything, I think.

And if someone creates something close to your own idea, it was probably because it was a good idea :)

edit: And if I step outside the spirit of the rules, do not be afraid to exclude me from the judging, I'm just here to help!

Well, after some in-head formulation, here's the beginnings of my tank!

mtyo0Ci.png

The top, spherical tank will contain LF, the two pills contain Oxidizer and Monoprop. Very simple right now, just primitives in 3dsMax. One sphere, two capsules.

.4m diameter, so a little narrower than the probe parts, and 1.4m tall.

Next up, I'll add a "framework" around the tanks to hold them all together.

For the texture, the frame will be more or less the same grey used on the stock radial Monoprop tanks.

The tanks themselves, though, will have some sort of insulation around them. Not sure what yet, but Foil MLI is a pretty strong contender.

Textures are my weak spot, though, and I'm hoping to pick up some knowledge here!

Is that all three fuel types at the same time, or something that can take Mono or Liq Fuel/Oxi, but not at the same time? Or is it whichever we choose?

All 3 at the same time.

Remember its suppose to be a small radial attached fuel tank, under a meter in size. It is also suppose to be finished in less than a week.

Your probably going to want to do it in under a 1000 triangles and with a 512x 512 texture maximum.

My example was 275 triangles with a 256x256 texture. So if it holds 3 tanks instead of one it will probably have 3x the detail.

Started off today making some rough models, to put the idea in my head "on paper" I'll probably make a few more passes to clean it up, or even redo it if I am not happy, since there isn't too much time invested yet. Also, there's an example of cutting down on triangles without losing much detail.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tiberion

Going to make some code to make the liquid level in the flask respond to gravity, and fill level, as well as the needles on the tanks.

Not sure if I can find a nice transparent shader for the liquid+glass, but time will tell.

TKwvRya.png

I'll have to tweak the poly count on the flask to where it just barely works I guess.

Edited by Snjo

Update #2:

I've added the framework to hold the tanks together.

The vertical band is a 5cmx5cm square extruded along a spline that looped around the tank. After the extrusion, I only had to weld the ends together.

The horizontal bands are cylinders, positioned across the center of each tank.

h31OWBV.png

Next up: getting the tri count down! This may involve redoing the extrusion, as it's the worst offender right now.

Following that is UV mapping, which I'm just as bad at as the texturing itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.