[0.23.5] Procedural mod resource storage parts

Eggman360

Would you like this sort of thing to be implimented into the original mods?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this sort of thing to be implimented into the original mods?

• All mod containers should really be procedural
    • Should be developed alongside other mods
    • This is overpowered
    • This is just a waste of time
    • I would use this when i play KSP
    • I would NOT use this when i play KSP

V0.1.2 Update :D

Changelog-0.1.2: (None Save Breaking)

*Parts that should start empty now do

Edited tanks include Kethane, CO2 and waste and waste water tanks, and even those pre-set groups that contain them.

*Added the missing weak RTG functionality to the service module part in the KSP Add-on file.

*Updated the Add-ons to work with V 0.9 of the procedural parts mod, Seeing as the Procedural parts mod has alteres the way the configs are stored in its library you MUST delete all the old parts from my last add-on version.

*The service modual no longer contains liquid fuel or oxidiser, if its requested I'll put them back in.

*The tanks have a paint job in the VAB/SPH parts catalogue to make them look slightly different at a glance, the procedural Kethane tank for example looks green.

Requirements

For all these you'll need to download all the assets required for the procedural parts mod as the downloads above ONLY contain the parts.config files I've made, for the models and textures you'll need to download the files from:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70676-WIP-Procedural-Parts-The-next-phase-of-Stretchy-SRBs

Recommended

Green skull Inc texture set, these look great and will definitely make things easier to identify :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77420-Green-skull-inc-texture-packs

Downloads

Here are the download links for the various mods I've catered for so far, if you have only a few then just take the ones you need, but if you have all of them, then just grab the "All" Download :)

V0.1.1 (April 16 2014, 1.00 PM)

Mods currently supported:

Kethane: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl00o9fh12dtg63/ProceduralParts%20Addon%200.1.2%20Kethane.rar

TAC Life Support: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdknmt21g4i0c3q/ProceduralParts%20Addon%200.1.2%20TAC.rar

Extra-planetary Launchpads: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6n219jerf4ky08/ProceduralParts%20Addon%200.1.2%20Extra%20Planetary.rar

Interstellar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bifinsju6ahf2s/ProceduralParts%20Addon%200.1.2%20Interstellar.rar

KSP Add-on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l918onsbxvflv9s/ProceduralParts%20Addon%200.1.2-KSP%20add-ons.zip

(So far this is just a service module that adds a procedural battery and mono-prop storage tank with a weak RTG inside, that generates only 18 electricity per minute)

and All in One: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ser5faw0k1xf6ec/ProceduralParts%20Addon%200.1.2%20All.rar

Standing issues

These add-on parts are currently in alpha so please watch for updates :)

But a fix for this is rapidly on its way thanks to Swamp_ig :)

Currently the wet and dry weights are slightly off yet these will be tweaked very soon :)

Fixed Issues

(Fixed)Due to the way it's currently written tanks for resources such as Kethane, CO2 and tritium that start empty in the original mods don't with these procedural ones, but the amount in the tanks CAN be adjusted using the right click GUI in the VAB/SPH manually just like any other tank :) so you can set it to start empty you just have to do it manually. (Fixed)

Welcome!

For any of you looking for a mod that adds procedural tanks in a balanced and GUI friendly way I have to recommend the Procedural Parts mod :http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70676-WIP-Procedural-Parts-The-next-phase-of-Stretchy-SRBs

I'm working with the developer of that awesome mod and I'm contact with the developers of other incredible mods such as

Kethane, TAC Life Support, Extra-planetary Launchpads and Interstellar.

The tanks can not only be set to which resource they should contain, but even pre-set combinations that make sense.

My main goal here is to have both balance and flexibility between the procedural parts mod and the original mod the tank is to be used with.

Here's just a sneak peak at what I've made for compatibility with TAC Life Support as an example, note that the textures can be edited in game using this right click GUI.

This a picture of 2 procedural tanks with a TAC container between to compare size, as the TAC tanks are slightly thinner, this is as close as I could get, as the length setting below was too skinny.

As far as I know the "Is Shielded" tag is from Ferram Aerospace and has not been added by me, it must add that automatically.

This is to show tanks when set to use only one resource (Note the resource volumes):

sR03f8e.png

This is just setting it to generic (Note the resource volumes):

OpvkPPM.png?1

And Here is a set of pictures to show the other possible settings that it can have, and remember, all these pictures are from the same part dragged from the part catalogue and are just being altered with a single click on that GUI, (Note the resource volumes, and some resources are even paired in a way that makes sense, but paired containers contain half of each resource, except O2 and CO2, as TAC allows the oxygen canister to hold 1920 units for each):

AHYLURB.png

You may realise the weight values, I haven't tweaked these yet, as they are objective tests, as opposed to hard data calculations, as will need to test the tanks during flight to see how the weights measure up.

Here's a look at how Kethane measures up, note that the cone in the last picture has had its internal volume set as close as I could make them to the original and procedural Kethane tanks, and its capacity is teasingly close! lol

vCT33Kc.png

In this last picture the tank on the left and the right is the same part from the VAB/SPH, the one on the right has just had its dimensions set during the build phase in the hanger with the right click GUI.

The way I'll be doing this is having a single tank for a selection of mods that can use the features above, and the downloads with all be separate so if you have 3/5 mods then you only download what you want or have.

Of course all these parts are integrated in the tech tree and in an incredible feature by swamp_ig (the author of the procedural parts mod) even allows size restrictions on the tanks depending on what tech you have, as more advanced tech tree progress allows bigger and bigger tanks.

Feel free to post feedback or requests for your mods or any mods or features you'd like to see this for on my development thread :http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75761-WIP-%280-23-5%29-Procedural-Parts-mod-compatibility-extra-tanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eye-Candy

The service module only creates 18 electrical charge a minute.

7Z5rI5Y.png

"Kethane Kapsule"

TZA6u4a.png

GaaVsLb.png

PNq3jDP.png

Feel free to post feedback or requests for your mods or any mods or features you'd like to see this for on my development thread :http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75761-WIP-%280-23-5%29-Procedural-Parts-mod-compatibility-extra-tanks.

Edited by Eggman360

Wrt the first two options of the poll, I'd actually rather that the stock parts worked more like this, and everybody plugged into it. (They won't depend on anything but the stock game, naturally enough.) That way we could cut down on the proliferation of parts.

How's THAT for a pipe dream?

Wrt the first two options of the poll, I'd actually rather that the stock parts worked more like this, and everybody plugged into it. (They won't depend on anything but the stock game, naturally enough.) That way we could cut down on the proliferation of parts.

How's THAT for a pipe dream?

I agree completely, for several reasons,

Flexibility, ease of use, and to make rockets both practical and visually pleasing :)

And cuts down on what really come down to in my mind as "duplicate parts" in the VAB/SPH, I don't mean to point fingers but just as an example mods like TAC life support and KW rocketry add dozens of parts that all do the same thing, just at different sizes, this way you only need one part per mod :)

I too wish stock ksp did this...saves me the job :P lol

Edited by Eggman360

This is beautiful, I know it's just configs, and will need some capacity tweaking, but it adds a lot to my 0.23.5 build.

Thank you :) your feedback really means a lot to me :)

But can I please ask what you mean by capacity tweaking?

When I was building this the capacities match with the capacities pretty much exactly :S

If you find a number that doesn't match up please tell me so I can snap to it :)

Edited by Eggman360

Thank you :) but can I ask what you mean by capacity tweaking?

What do you mean?

This is beautiful, I know it's just configs, and will need some weight tweaking, but it adds a lot to my 0.23.5 build.

:sticktongue:

Last edited by usulrasolas; Today at 10:51. Reason: just cause I say things, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

oh, yeah, oops

This is the best idea since the Large Hadron Collider.

I'm all for it; every mod should use containers like these. The proliferation of nearly identical but slightly different parts is actually a pretty big issue. In some places, like with TAC, you could cut-down the parts cost of the mod to nearly a fifth of what it is now. That's a massive, massive improvement if it can be used more commonly, given the 3.4GB(ish) limitation on memory. Even when Unity finally gets updated to 64-bit, these will still be a great idea for memory conservation (just because you have lots of memory doesn't mean you should get lazy with management of it), and keeping the parts menus clutter-free.

On to questions. Does it have FAR support? Specifically the conic tanks.

B9 Aerospace would be nice to see support for. Also MKS (which has piles, and piles, and piles, and piles of parts, all with the same models :( ).

I'm also curious to know how texture packs would work with this. There are some really nice texture packs for TAC, one of which I use. It might also be useful to tie-together tank type and texture. That would, perhaps, lead to fewer possible mistakes caused by user-error. Or tie it to multiple textures, but limited so that one couldn't accidentally make a xenon tank and label it as a liquid fuel tank.

Edited by phoenix_ca

This is the best idea since the Large Hadron Collider.

I'm all for it; every mod should use containers like these. The proliferation of nearly identical but slightly different parts is actually a pretty big issue. In some places, like with TAC, you could cut-down the parts cost of the mod to nearly a fifth of what it is now. That's a massive, massive improvement if it can be used more commonly, given the 3.4GB(ish) limitation on memory. Even when Unity finally gets updated to 64-bit, these will still be a great idea for memory conservation (just because you have lots of memory doesn't mean you should get lazy with management of it), and keeping the parts menus clutter-free.

On to questions. Does it have FAR support? Specifically the conic tanks.

B9 Aerospace would be nice to see support for. Also MKS (which has piles, and piles, and piles, and piles of parts, all with the same models :( ).

I'm also curious to know how texture packs would work with this. There are some really nice texture packs for TAC, one of which I use. It might also be useful to tie-together tank type and texture. That would, perhaps, lead to fewer possible mistakes caused by user-error. Or tie it to multiple textures, but limited so that one couldn't accidentally make a xenon tank and label it as a liquid fuel tank.

All very good points I'll go though now, thanks for your input :)

For me cutting down the part count in the part catalog is one of the main driving forces behind this considering how straightforward it is too, :)

Currently as far as I know FAR takes the widest profile and looks for tags in the config that label it as a faring, I think for now that has been left out (but we'll work on it) because I guess nothing would be stopping someone making a REALLY wide but short cone on top of there rocket and suddenly the whole thing flies better than a dart, I'll look into it :)

I'm always looking to expand the selection, and ideally what I personally want this to become is a standard unified thing where mod makers include this in their core mod, forgoing all their resources tanks, yet as far as B9 goes most of the tanks are cuboidal and aren't symmetrical (2m x 4m rectangular and things) but I know a member of the community has come forward and shown a way to make square tanks, so keep looking here for updates, I post every day :)

Texture packs (please tell me you downloaded the procedural parts mod to and not just my add-ons :P lol) well in the procedural parts mod (where you get the core and assets to these add-ons) in the folder there are texture sets for various types of skins, saturns, gold foil (which looks really cool!) and Soyuz green among many more, one thing I could look into is requesting to have a few tank skins and textures to expand what's already there, one set I love is the KW rocket pack (there rocket engines sound and look incredible! :D) as far as I know if you just drop a texture asset in with the Gamedata/procedural parts/ parts folder (where you should see ones called Atlas, Mu, soyuzgreen etc) and they're the same format as the ones there, I figure they'd work, lol, I'll look into that too :)

As far as the part in the catalog goes I know they all look the same, this is just because when I made these they all share the same model, as I don't delve into the modelling aspect I left them as they were, but I agree that once I was halfway to Duna when I realised my space probe's long burn stage was full of Kethane :/ lol was meant to be xenon ( it was ironic because it was a scanner probe heading there to search for Kethane xD haha). I'll see if I can change the look of them in the part catalog :)

As far as MKS goes I've only just downloaded it myself so once I get a feel for it I'll look into making procedural workshops and parts for that, but I must say, I really like the way the parts look, and this is the style I want in the parts catalog, at a glance you can tell what they are :)

Once again, thank you for the feedback, it's what will make this better :)

Edited by Eggman360

Texture packs (please tell me you downloaded the procedural parts mod to and not just my add-ons :P lol) well in the procedural parts mod (where you get the core and assets to these add-ons) in the folder there are texture sets for various types of skins, saturns, gold foil (which looks really cool!) and Soyuz green among many more, one thing I could look into is requesting to have a few tank skins and textures to expand what's already there, one set I love is the KW rocket pack (there rocket engines sound and look incredible! :D) as far as I know if you just drop a texture asset in with the Gamedata/procedural parts/ parts folder (where you should see ones called Atlas, Mu, soyuzgreen etc) and they're the same format as the ones there, I figure they'd work, lol, I'll look into that too :)

Yeah so I derped and accidentally glossed-over that link. Swamp needs to be given a cookie. Or a whole bakery full of cookies.

You can have some cookies too.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Hello! I have a problem with your mod. I can't use your tanks, because when I put one of them (I tried service module and tac) to the rocket it doesn't have right click GUI. Moreover I can't remove the tank! I have "Procedural Parts - The next phase of Stretchy SRBs" mod, TAC life support mod. I am waiting for your ideas.

Hello! I have a problem with your mod. I can't use your tanks, because when I put one of them (I tried service module and tac) to the rocket it doesn't have right click GUI. Moreover I can't remove the tank! I have "Procedural Parts - The next phase of Stretchy SRBs" mod, TAC life support mod. I am waiting for your ideas.

Wow that seems...random :S I never ran into that problem during testing and it sounds very strange indeed :S

If there has been a recent update to the Procedural Parts mod it could have sent if a bit funny, I'll get right on this.

you could do something like MFT so you only need one tank, but can put any resource into it.

Mod manager support is practically done, and will be included in the 0.2 update coming very VERY shortly. This will allow me to put all the parts together into one download,

But if you mean have all the procedural parts as one single part that wouldn't be practical, as to cycle through each individual resource until you get to the one you want would take several minutes.

There are over 20 resources supported and that doesn't include the combinations that come in sets.

I'm afraid its not practical

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah so I derped and accidentally glossed-over that link. Swamp needs to be given a cookie. Or a whole bakery full of cookies.

You can have some cookies too.

Nom Nom :P

Just a Note to everyone this might be getting rolled into the core of the Procedural parts mod, so if this thread looks like it dies its likely that its been integrated, I'll post a headline on the first post if it becomes official :)

Can you put the adjust option into a separate window?..

So we can have easier and simpler right click menu during construction =D

It would be very hard and frustrating to have so MANY (perhaps 10 or even 20.. items..) on the menu that we will probably never touch them until the last moment...

Can you put the adjust option into a separate window?..

So we can have easier and simpler right click menu during construction =D

It would be very hard and frustrating to have so MANY (perhaps 10 or even 20.. items..) on the menu that we will probably never touch them until the last moment...

I'm not sure what you mean by 10 or 20 options, there are only really 4-5 elements to the right click GUI, such as texture, shape, dimensions (up to three) and what set of resources should be held, that's 5-6 things tops, lol hardly 10 or 20 :P

If this didn't properly address your enquiry please post again with pictures or more detail :)

Wow that seems...random :S I never ran into that problem during testing and it sounds very strange indeed :S

If there has been a recent update to the Procedural Parts mod it could have sent if a bit funny, I'll get right on this.

Yeah it turns out that it's a problem with the core procedural parts mod, not the add-ons, Swamp_ig is working on it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.