[1.1.2]Aerojet Kerbodyne 3.0 (4/29/16 Better FX, still good for 1.1.2)

blackheart612

Just want to say thanks for these amazing parts. If this is your 1st attempt, you have a great future ahead of you. Please maintain your interest in KSP so I can keep using these things in the future.

My 1 nit to pick with both this and SDHI itself is that the fairings/adaptors don't fit if you add any inline parts to the service module stack. This is sort of a big deal for life support supplies, although it's possible to work around that somewhat with radial tanks under the side fairings. The real issue is that there's no good way to add a probe core to use the thing as an unmanned rescue ship. I know absolutely nothing about how to do any of this, but I was wondering if it might be possible to make the fairings/adaptors procedural so you could vary the length of the whole service module stack? Then you could put (at least a few) inline tanks/probes in there and still have it all fit together.

Just want to say thanks for these amazing parts. If this is your 1st attempt, you have a great future ahead of you. Please maintain your interest in KSP so I can keep using these things in the future.

My 1 nit to pick with both this and SDHI itself is that the fairings/adaptors don't fit if you add any inline parts to the service module stack. This is sort of a big deal for life support supplies, although it's possible to work around that somewhat with radial tanks under the side fairings. The real issue is that there's no good way to add a probe core to use the thing as an unmanned rescue ship. I know absolutely nothing about how to do any of this, but I was wondering if it might be possible to make the fairings/adaptors procedural so you could vary the length of the whole service module stack? Then you could put (at least a few) inline tanks/probes in there and still have it all fit together.

Or you could use the MM config that's floating about to give all command pods the probe core module and give them all built-in remote control capability.

Hrrrmmm, you mean like KW's? I was thinking of that when I made this, too. Not sure what happened to that thought. lol

Or you could use the MM config that's floating about to give all command pods the probe core module and give them all built-in remote control capability.

Hmm, never knew about that. Thanks for the tip. But OTOH, I still have no idea how to do this, nor even what to look for to make it happen.

Hrrrmmm, you mean like KW's? I was thinking of that when I made this, too. Not sure what happened to that thought. lol

I haven't used KW in a while so I don't know how it works these days. But last time I saw it, it worked exactly like what's already in your mod now. That is, the fairing parts were of fixed size and shape so only fit together 1 way. Procedural fairings are variable size and automatically shape themselves to fit around whatever payload you've got.

But you know, the parts I'm having trouble with are the base SDHI assemble, not your extension to it. So maybe I'd better go discuss this in that thread.

You can also use the "Interstage" adapter from the base Procedural Fairings release. Just set your extra diameter on it to a negative value, adjust base and top radius to line up with the service module, and then adjust height to match your SM. Your SM (or separate decoupler for it, but the base ring has a decouple option - just with 0 decoupler force) has to be attached at the "middle" node of the base ring for this to work, not the "top" node as they would normally be used (where the fairings support what is on "top"). I use this for exactly that reason with my "ATV-based SM" for Orion (the current plan for the Orion SM is based on the ATV rather than the original design modelled by sumghai now) in combination with the ESA pack. I'll try to get a pic up of what I mean when I get to my next round of parts testing (I'm currently working on rescaling all the new ARM parts for proper sized SLS parts in RSS).

You can also use the "Interstage" adapter from the base Procedural Fairings release. Just set your extra diameter on it to a negative value, adjust base and top radius to line up with the service module, and then adjust height to match your SM. Your SM (or separate decoupler for it, but the base ring has a decouple option - just with 0 decoupler force) has to be attached at the "middle" node of the base ring for this to work, not the "top" node as they would normally be used (where the fairings support what is on "top"). I use this for exactly that reason with my "ATV-based SM" for Orion (the current plan for the Orion SM is based on the ATV rather than the original design modelled by sumghai now) in combination with the ESA pack. I'll try to get a pic up of what I mean when I get to my next round of parts testing (I'm currently working on rescaling all the new ARM parts for proper sized SLS parts in RSS).

My procedural KW pack has interstage.

Just click it on my signature :)

Ah, OK, I'll give that a try. Looks like I need to get KW Rocketry to make this work, right?

I'm sure if I knew even a little about how to mod this game, the above would make perfect sense and be referenced by all as a superlative example of how to explain things :). But as it is, that's all way over my head :(.

But in any case, in my game where I'm using SDHI, I haven't get unlocked the 2.5m PF interstage fairing yet so until that happens, I guess I'll be studying up on how to modify it like this.

The directions I was giving were for in-game assembly of the craft, not for any modding needed :) The interstage procedural fairing has 3 "stack" nodes on it - in most cases, you have the stage below it attached to the bottom node, and the engine/payload attached to the top node, with the middle one unused. This way the fairing walls support the stage above it while shrouding any lower protrusions (like engine nozzles) from aerodynamic effects. However, you can also mount something (like a service module) on the "middle" stack node as well. Unlike a "normal" procedural fairing, the interstage fairing won't extend all the way to the top of your craft and shroud the whole thing when you do this - it only extends up to the height you set it to. The settings I listed are for the various dimensions of the adapter part itself, prior to adding the sides. Sorry I've not gotten pics yet, having a few loading issues currently due to some texture issues :P Although, as you mention, it won't help if you don't have the interstage adapter itself unlocked yet in career mode (I don't recall what tech it unlocks with, but once unlocked it can be used for any base size IIRC - it doesn't have say, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75 etc versions, just one that can be resized as needed.)

[EDIT: And I believe the base works identically whether you get it from PF or from blackheart's pack, the only difference is the choice of fairing walls that get attached to it]

Was that the new ones?

In the base Procedural Fairings pack, you have the option of structural fairings as well as the standard detachable ones. It makes no difference to the functioning of the base, but the structural fairings (on the structural tab, instead of the aero tab) don't have decouplers in them and are instead "procedural fuselage walls" effectively. Of course, you can get the same effective result now by just disabling staging for the normal fairings with tweakables. :)

[EDIT: Example pic included. Note that these values won't be accurate sizes for stock Kerbol system, they are for RSS]

2n8515e.png

Edited by RaccoonTOF

You can use your fairings, the normal fairings, or the structural fuselage fairings all interchangeably on the base - as well as other custom fairings. The "interstage" base is what has all the important settings, and that works with all of the added fairing options out there, just like the normal fairing bases from PF do :)

Ah, I was confused when you said that yours were stageable too, so functioned differently. The original are stageable too - what I was talking about NOT being stageable (and not containing a decoupler at all) were the structural fairings, not the base, which I didn't see any of in your pack (though it's not that important to add a separate part for that anymore, but it'd be nice to have tweakable staging included in your fairings now that it is supported :P). I love having additional base and fairing styles, textures, etc. for PF - right now I think I have the originals, yours, the ones from KOSMOS, and a couple of old custom retextures from a source that I don't even know anymore (they all have e-dog as the part author still, but no idea where the textures came from...).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.