[1.1.2+] Kerbal NRAP - MOVED

stupid_chris

while being able to snap the diameter to certain size parts, it would also be beneficial to be able to multiply its size similar to the length. The reason is that you can then match the width/height of a payload properly - this is useful for Procedural Fairings as the weight of the fairings is determined by their size

I may have found a bug with the NRAP. It's quite handy for testing rockets, but I noticed some real strangeness when I was building things that asparagus staged.

I used FRAPS to

. It's true I have a variety of mods in there, but I tested a lot of configurations and the only common part I could find was the NRAP itself.

Basically, it's either a bug with the NRAP, or RCS build aid, but when you put side-mounted tanks on your rocket, your CoM seems to shift... over time, without you making any changes.

If you can't replicate the bug, then it's probably just me. I also have no idea if it is translating into the game after launch, because it's never really a huge offset.

Actually, looking at the craft files, saving when I first build it and then a few moments later after the CoM has moved... it's a real thing. One of the side fuel tanks is moving very slowly. I have no idea why. Using a different root (by unhooking the main tank, deleting the NRAP, adding a new root piece, and hooking the main tank below that) stops it from moving, but it's still unbalanced until I reset it.

Edited by lordkrike

I feel like this might be more of an RCS build aid bug, I'm not playing with the CoM, just really resizing the part. :/

In an hour or so (gotta go run errands), I'll try popping out RCS Build Aid and seeing if I can replicate the motion. But you might be right.

I removed RCSBuildAid. Still happened.

Removed all mods except for the NRAP. Still happened. :-(

Here is my methodology, so you can attempt to replicate it.

1. Place NRAP as root part.

2. Assemble the rocket. Put the x32 tank under the NRAP, the skipper under that, attach the girders using x2 symmetry, attach the x16 tanks on the end of the girders.

3. Save the rocket.

4. Alt-tab to the desktop, navigate to the location where the .craft file is saved, open it, scroll to bottom and note the coordinates of the last fuel tank.

5. Alt-tab back to the game, wait a few moments (15s seems to be enough), and save the rocket again.

6. Alt-tab back out, open a second instance of the .craft file, and compare the coordinates of the last fuel tank to the previous .craft file.

I have no idea why it's happening, but it doesn't happen if I use anything else as the root part. Even the exact same rocket (NRAP and all), only with the x32 tank as the root, doesn't have this happen to it.

I removed RCSBuildAid. Still happened.

Removed all mods except for the NRAP. Still happened. :-(

Here is my methodology, so you can attempt to replicate it.

1. Place NRAP as root part.

2. Assemble the rocket. Put the x32 tank under the NRAP, the skipper under that, attach the girders using x2 symmetry, attach the x16 tanks on the end of the girders.

3. Save the rocket.

4. Alt-tab to the desktop, navigate to the location where the .craft file is saved, open it, scroll to bottom and note the coordinates of the last fuel tank.

5. Alt-tab back to the game, wait a few moments (15s seems to be enough), and save the rocket again.

6. Alt-tab back out, open a second instance of the .craft file, and compare the coordinates of the last fuel tank to the previous .craft file.

I have no idea why it's happening, but it doesn't happen if I use anything else as the root part. Even the exact same rocket (NRAP and all), only with the x32 tank as the root, doesn't have this happen to it.

That's weird :/ I'll take a look I guess.

Well, an easy fix, as far as I can tell, is to make it so it can't be the root part. Even if it is slightly annoying in some other respect.

I'd rather not, that would be the easy solution. I'm guessing it's a matter of finding out what's triggering it and fixing it. Not making this avaliable as a root part would mean removing surface attachement, so that would be a serious handicap.

I've got a wish-list item if I may;

This part is for testing lifter design payload capacity right? Well typically if I have a 300t payload; the payload is PROBABLY going to have more than 20 units of torque on it. This means I either need to spam a bunch of SAS modules under the test weight and hope I get close to what I'd really have; or do a test flight on a rocket that probably isn't going to control anything like my real payload will.

So what I'm asking; assuming it's possible; is that the SAS force scale with test weight. Just don't ask me what a reasonable scale factor would be; I haven't thought that far ahead lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a wishlist item for this mod which I think would be a great expansion of it: a procedural trim weight. Basically it would be a much smaller version of the NRAP, though maybe rectangular, which would vary between .001 and .1 to allow trimming of non-symmetrical vehicle designs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Looks like it's fine on 0.24.

Would be nice to get some contracts for this. Like "Launch a 100-ton NRAP into LKO". A nice rocket-building challenge.

That is a cool idea. It gives incentive to design absurdly large rockets. I always used this mod for developing rocket families.

A6PjwCj.jpg

NEAR mod installed. Payload - test parts (two Rockomax engines, decoupler and stack separator to test them in 90 km orbit. Weights slightly less than 10 tons).

On the payload's tip is a NRAP weight, 10 ton.

Rocket itself is KW parts, rated for 30 tons to LKO, start TWR 1.7 (tweaked), MJ is set according to this.

Thing is, this rocket with this particular payload will tip over without NRAP counterweight. With it in place, it flies perfectly stable. Nothing can correct that - it just too bottom-heavy.

Now, I am:

- completely fine with this

- do not want to design new rocket for each payload (trying to role-play here)

- do not want to launch several rockets (I'm not Rockefeller, you know)

- NRAP is good, but it's not inline - there is only one node at the bottom, which means I need to attach it on very top. Not every payload would allow me that

Question is, can you make an inline NRAP, or modify current into it?

Hey guys, had some time to do a small update of this!

Changelog:

July 30th 2014
v1.5
-Overhaul of the rescaling code, should be more efficient and less buggy
-Readded Monopropellant to the part
-Compiled for 64bit
-Added procedural cost change with part mass change
-Implemented CompatibilityChecker

This should be fully compatible with 0.24.x on all platforms and fix some of the small bugs which could be previously encountered :)

Cheers!

excellent! This part is fabulous for letting me do a stage-by-stage design of my craft and save off the stages as sub-assemblies to later attach below my payload.

Edit: MediaFire link is broken, although I was able to grab the latest from the Github repo

Edited by Gaiiden

excellent! This part is fabulous for letting me do a stage-by-stage design of my craft and save off the stages as sub-assemblies to later attach below my payload.

Edit: MediaFire link is broken, although I was able to grab the latest from the Github repo

Should be fixed :)

Is the GUI implemented in the latest version? The part loads properly (0.24 win), and I can place it with no ill effects. I do not have a button which allows me to access a GUI. Do I have to to create .cfg files for every size I want, or is something just keeping the GUI button from being shown? Also, when I downloaded the package, there is a Kotysoft folder which contains folder structure, but is empty, maybe it shouldn't be?

Here is the full log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51D0goiPm7JUG9RNTNLQlFrNkE/edit?usp=sharing

Here are lines that seem relevant:

[ERR 19:22:57.321] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'NRAP': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'IPartCostModifier' from assembly 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__DisplayClassf' from assembly 'NRAP, Version=1.5.5324.40306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Here is the Mod list:

000_Toolbar
AIES_Aerospace
DRE
FASA
GameData
JSI
KER
KWRocketry
MagicSmokeIndustries
NEAR
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureSpacecraft
NovaPunchEngines
NRAP
Procedural Parts+Fairings
SCANsatRPM
TAC

Edited by saabstory88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.