8K82K aka PROTON (OLDD in USSR) v. 0.5. (12.05.14)

DennyTX

412px-Proton_Zvezda_crop.jpg

The first Proton rocket was launched in 1965 and the launch system is still in use as of 2014, which makes it one of the most successful heavy boosters in the history of spaceflight. All Protons previously were built at the Khrunichev plant in Moscow but now OLDD are in action too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download from SPACEPORT (v.0.5)

Assembly Manual

Edited by DennyTX
new version

What you have looks really nice so far. :) Finally we'll have a fully featured Proton. BobCat's one looks nice, but is rather simplistic. Just one question, though: Are you making it 64% scale? This is rather important, since I'll probably be used to launch BobCat's MIR and ISS modules.

Also, the engine on the Proton 8K82K was the RD-273. The engine you made is used on Proton-M. :) Just a small detail, Proton M and Proton K are rather similar.

Edited by Guest

What you have looks really nice so far. :) Finally we'll have a fully featured Proton. BobCat's one looks nice, but is rather simplistic. Just one question, though: Are you making it 64% scale? This is rather important, since I'll probably be used to launch BobCat's MIR and ISS modules.

This being Denny, I wouldn't think so. We'll have to wait until he releases some tanks and stuff before we can know for sure, though.

Well, the Saturn was more or well correctly sized. Frizzank fudges proportions to fit stock, Denny is better about this. It seems that he's going for a bit more than 2.5m diameter, which sounds about right for 64% scale Proton.

Actually, Zond was supposed to be manned. It's just that they couldn't get neither the launcher nor the spacecraft to work reliably in time to beat the Americans to the flyby.

Awesome. :) And as for payload to LKO, use BobCat's MIR modules as a benchmark.

I've noticed a few issues, though, mostly with it's 3rd stage. Take a look at this:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage3.html

First, it has no truss interstage, but a full shroud. Second, it has 4 additional steering engines at the rim (just where you put the "blisters"). Oh, and in spite of what you might see on the images, their nozzles are not red (neither are those of the retrorockets). Also, it used RD-0212 (derived from RD-0210), I'm not sure which engines you intended to be used instead. I also think that the payload fairings was a little bit less flared. Finally, it might be just me, but I think that the 1st stage engines should be recessed a bit more.

Overall, nice work, could be perfect with a few adjustments. Are you also going to make Briz-M and RD-273?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.