8K82K aka PROTON (OLDD in USSR) v. 0.5. (12.05.14)

DennyTX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I'm unsure where else is proper for posting. I'm trying to assemble OLDD's Proton; I have a working Proton-M (Briz-M), but I'm having a small bit of difficulty with the ZOND. Specifically, I don't see that there is any means (attachment points?) with which to fix the ZOND launch escape system to the ZOND payload shroud - or that there is anything that needs to go in between the two.

Anybody?

And, if DennyTX happens to see this, thanks a million for making wonderful models and generously sharing. In my opinion, your stuff is some of the best.

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I'm unsure where else is proper for posting. I'm trying to assemble OLDD's Proton; I have a working Proton-M (Briz-M), but I'm having a small bit of difficulty with the ZOND. Specifically, I don't see that there is any means (attachment points?) with which to fix the ZOND launch escape system to the ZOND payload shroud - or that there is anything that needs to go in between the two.

Anybody?

And, if DennyTX happens to see this, thanks a million for making wonderful models and generously sharing. In my opinion, your stuff is some of the best.

Grasiaz... ;)

well, seems like i'm playing KSP again and can restore something. But i just forgot about 8K82K, also thought i didnt released Briz family and ZOND IVA. Nevermind...

if someone can list me to found bugs, i could spent a couple of upcoming days and fix it. Seems like new version must be released.

Hey DennyTX,

Thanks for your reply. I (think I) got it figured; found out that all I had to do was include a payload (of the proper height - more-or-less), and then the payload provided an attachment point for the ZOND launch escape system. I'm pretty much a novice with all of this, but I'm having a good time discovering many things. I still have some tweaking to do regarding the staging, but I'm getting there.

Thanks again for the terrific models.

cs

OLDD%20Proton%20ZOND.jpg

OLDD%20Proton-M.jpg

OLDD%20Proton%20ALMAZ.jpg

edit: Obviously, for the Proton-ZOND I cobbled together, I am simply using a 'dummy' payload. Earlier in this thread you posted images of an actual model of the ZOND that you were working on - but never finished/released? I suppose making that model available would be the ultimate solution to the issue I encountered. Your call, of course.

Edited by CurlSnout
clarification (?)

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE your rocket, the Proton-K is one of my favorite rocket's of all time (as well as the Soyuz (Soyuz 2 to be exactly specific of model), Atlas-V-551 & Ares-1(due to its practical engineering)).

However, i have encountered an issue with the construction/assembly in the VAB.

The whole rocket fits together perfectly fine BUT the first stage aft base plate has no green connector spheres thus i cannot connect the engine thrust structure and engine. . . any ideas?

Would greatly appreciate a reply in regards to this as i plan on using your Proton for 75%+++ of my KSP launches.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, this amazing mod is not working on KSP 1.0. You can't build it properly due to the new node attachment logic. You can use the Non-Strict part orientation check attachment, but that's cheating

I reallly like this mod, so made a config file to fix the nodes' orientations and be able to use this rocket without cheating. If you also want to use this amazing mod again, so there's the link for you :D

Download link

You probably will have to add some fins to the rocket, in the new aerodynamic system the rocket is very unstable. A solution that worked, at least for me, was using the Procedural fairings mod instead of Proton's fairings.

Proper module must be added to simulate fairing covering the objects. Current fairings are just aestetic, and you're essentially flying with uncovered payload.

Btw, do you know that real Proton dumps a few tonnes of toxic UDMH into ground during each launch? It became a serious problem for Kazakhstan

Edited by Niemand303
No Russian here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You can use the nodes fix I posted last page :)

For the fairings you can use the stock module like this (just add it to the part's cfg file)

I'm too lazy to make a MM cfg file

For the type A payload base:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleProceduralFairing

nSides = 107
nArcs = 2
TextureURL = OLDD/Proton/Fairing_Wall_4x_LEM

panelGrouping = 1
pivot = 0,0.4,0
axis = 0,1,0

baseRadius = 1.45
maxRadius = 1.75
capRadius = 0.1
snapThreshold = 0.1

xSectionHeightMin = 0.1
xSectionHeightMax = 8

edgeSlide = 0.15
edgeWarp = 0
noseTip = 0.7

UnitAreaMass = 0.03
UnitAreaCost = 6
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 0
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 1

// nodeOuterAftID = bottom
// nodeInnerAftID = top
}

And for the B type payload base:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleProceduralFairing

nSides = 106
nArcs = 2
TextureURL =OLDD/Proton/Fairing_Wall_4x_LEM

panelGrouping = 1
pivot = 0,0.45,0
axis = 0,1,0

baseRadius = 1.8
maxRadius = 2.2
capRadius = 0.2
snapThreshold = 0.1

xSectionHeightMin = 0.2
xSectionHeightMax = 9

edgeSlide = 0.15
edgeWarp = 0
noseTip = 0.7

UnitAreaMass = 0.03
UnitAreaCost = 6
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 0
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 1

// nodeOuterAftID = bottom
// nodeInnerAftID = top
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.