Stand Alone Map View - Multi monitor KSP [1.4.x][Plugin]

Unit327

Moved to https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/211182-stand-alone-map-view-revived-multi-monitor-ksp-1123/

A Kerbal Space Program mod that opens the map view in another window/monitor.

It works by launching a separate instance of the game, and syncing the time

and ship information via networking (udp/tcp).

6vtSy89l.png

lsqAft9s.jpg

install via CKAN (samv-server in your main game, samv-client in a separate install)

source code

GNU GPL v3 license

To get it working, you'll need two separate installs of KSP; your normal one and a separate one for the map view. The "samv-server" mod goes in your normal game, the "samv-client" mod goes in the other. Start up an instance of both and you should be in business, providing you have the CPU and GPU and RAM to handle it. To save RAM, all parts can be deleted from the client apart from the mk1-3 pod.

Current Features

* Syncing of all vessels

* Syncing of maneuver nodes (bidrectionally)

* Syncing of time and time warp

Bugs

Check the buglist on github. Expect a bit of jankiness on the client side (the map view) but your main game will not have any problems.

Minimum requirements

* 2 monitors

* 4 core processor

* 6GB RAM

Or a separate computer to run the map view on.

Change Log

Check the release notes on github

Windows users who want to run 2x fullscreen can follow pokpok's advice.

Edited by Unit327
no longer maintained by me

unfortunetly my laptop wont handle two instances of ksp at once..

but its really really nice thing you are working on.

how do you plan to solve controlling mapview in another monitor? rotating it etc.

well actually i only used two monitors short time few years ago and im not sure how will it work with two fulscreen apps, does player has only to move mouse cursor to border of one screen and it will appear on another?

also maybe something used with separate pc conneted by lan? bassicly something like telemachus but using ksp.exe as interface.

As far as performance goes, it's actually not that bad. There's no appreciable difference for me, though I do have a beast of a computer. KSP doesn't use much more than one core, the others mostly sit there twiddling their thumbs. The mod also disables physics alltogether on the map view instance, which makes things a lot easier. GPU wise the map view isn't very intense as it's mostly empty space. You can also configure the settings for it separately to your main KSP to reduce the frame limit, resolution, and quality settings. Probably the biggest limit for most people will be the RAM usage; as it stands I wouldn't try this mod with anything less than 6GB. I plan on addressing this somewhat by removing/unloading all the ship parts that get loaded into memory, as you don't need them in map view.

To switch input you just move your mouse from one window/monitor to another. This is on linux where fullscreen in KSP means "borderless window mode" by default. Not sure what ms windows or osx does, but if they hold the mouse cursor hostage, there's probably a way around it.

A separate computer on the lan is definitely an option, as soon as I add the options to set the ip address / port used. You could even do it over the internet.

That's pretty cool. I gave it a whirl and I like how it just works all by itself automatically without any setup needed. I noticed, though, that it only shows the currently active ship, will it be possible to also show all the other crafts (especially for rendezvous)? Also, I play windowed, and since it was a copy of my main install it had the same window size - however my other monitor is smaller and the map view doesn't allow access to the menu to change the display options (although I can probably fix this in a config file).

No performance hit, by the way. I'm running a 3.7 GHz i5 with 12GB ram and an nVidia GTX450.

Awesome, thanks for trying it out. Can I ask what OS you run? I'd like to know if it works on ms windows or osx as it's been developed on linux and I haven't tested it on anything else yet.

I noticed, though, that it only shows the currently active ship, will it be possible to also show all the other crafts (especially for rendezvous)?

Yep, I'll be working on this soon. First priority is to fix the existing bugs before making any new ones though!

the map view doesn't allow access to the menu to change the display options (although I can probably fix this in a config file)

Access to the main menu / settings is another planned feature I will be working on soon, but yes, you can change this in a config file, or just disable the mod (remove it from the GameData folder), start it up normally, change the settings, and then put the mod back in.

Edited by Unit327

very interesting idea. if it works, I have an follow-up idea: many mods add their own windows. and it's easily possible to have the whole screen crowded.

if those could move to an additional monitor (for example I have 3 + a tv... makes 4 connected with my pc) aswell, that would be extremely neat.

and I doubt that it would bring good pcs to a limit, since good PCs have nowadays at least 4 cores and KSP is lousy at using multiple cores, meaning that there are always cores sitting around doing nearly nothing.

many mods add their own windows....if those could move to an additional monitor...

Unfortunately that will not be possible. The map view instance essentially cheats, it doesn't have real vessels in it, so a lot of the information needed by those mods is missing. Parts, staging, mass, resources (fuel), physics calculations, vessel orientation, you name it. The only thing the map view instance gets is vessel names and orbital information - apoapse, periapse, semi major axis, eccentricity, inclination etc.

It might be possible to sync the other information too, or find another work around, but I'm afraid that's going in the "too hard basket". If you have a glut of monitors, there's a bunch of readout mods such as telemachus which you might be interested in.

It might be possible to sync the other information too, or find another work around, but I'm afraid that's going in the "too hard basket". If you have a glut of monitors, there's a bunch of readout mods such as telemachus which you might be interested in.

now this is very interesting, thank you. I take a closer look on that.

I recently read about a guy, who tries to hook up nasas mission control software (it's open source) to KSP. that would provide the player with some sort of map view aswell.

are there actually interfaces for that, or does every modder need to invent the wheel (meaning the interface) on its own?

There's a few interfaces floating around, including telemachus and kRPC. I looked at using kRPC at first, but found it hard to build a c# client for it. I also wanted real-time, high frequency updates, so that meant using udp instead tcp. I then looked at kmp, but after seeing the code fled in horror.

So far the hard part hasn't been getting the data across to the other side, it's forcing it back in to the game (i.e. updating the vessels' orbits) without explosions or things otherwise going wrong.

The mod has been updated, new version v0.3

download tar.gz or zip

Change log:

* Syncing all vessels' orbits (#5)

* Smoother movement under thrust and high time warp

* Vessels near ground no longer explode and disappear from map view (#2)

* Fixed "cannot time warp while under acceleration" bug (#9)

i7 4ghz, 12gb ram, GTX770 & 2560x1080 monitor. This mod May just be exactly what I've been having wet dreams about. Now I just need a mod that lets me use my TrackIR and then KSP is the only game I will ever play agin.

Edited by bludclot

Yep. Well at least you will be able to once I put configurable settings in the mod, at the moment the ip/port is hardcoded to the local machine only. Development is progressing quite rapidly though, and at a guess I'd say that change will be in early next week. If you're keen to keep tabs on it, here's the issue on github, or check/subscribe to this thread.

The main disadvantage to 2 separate computers is juggling 2 keyboards/mice, rather than just moving your pointer over to the other monitor.

Dude you just made my day!

I will keep you posted on what trouble if any I encounter with your mod and my setup. I plan to use F2 on the main window and Steam Gauges HUD on the other, oh how I wish that hud showed still when I press f2.

Edit: Turns out it is only for the older versions.. I have TrackIR 5 >.<.

SQUAD I beg of thee! bestow us please with TrackIR support!

Edited by bludclot

This update made my day; I'm compelled to mentally high-five you! Being fairly new to KSP, I've amassed 40+ amazing mods that really make the game much more compelling and immersive.

My only problem with this one was simply getting two full-screen KSP instances to display at the same time. So if anyone else struggles with that, here's my suggestion: I created two shortcuts of KSP (one of the server KSP and one the client KSP) with the " -popupwindow" target added. I use these shortcuts to fire up the server KSP and then the client copy, then I use the Windows + shift + left/right arrow hotkey once the client KSP has fully loaded. Dual monitor fullscreen KSP!

wPtmbqa.jpg

So thanks for developing stand alone map view, it's working like a champ.

I'm glad you like it! I'm sure you'll encounter some of the bugs soon, so stay tuned for fixes and updates. There will probably be a new release this weekend.

Thanks for the info on -popupwindow, I'm guessing you're using ms windows? I'll add that to the first post.

When I was fresh to this game,I was thinking about a splitscreen mode so I could keep up with the orbit while still seeing my vessel.

Didn't know someone would actually try to do this, but this makes me consider buying a cheap screen and giving it a go.

ps: do you think splitscreen would be possibLe? sure, it woudn't give the best experience, but it coud be better than nothing for single-monitor people.

Split screen might be possible, but I doubt it would be worth it, not unless your one screen is 4k. In that case you could always run 2x ksp in window mode, and possibly edit the unity settings file to run the game at custom resolutions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.