Stand Alone Map View - Multi monitor KSP [1.4.x][Plugin]

Unit327

I'm having some problems getting this working. I can get it to open and sync, so I don't think it is an issue with the mod. I am trying to open the "map" version on my second monitor, in full screen "windowed" mode (so I can click between them and not have the borders) and the main version on my main monitor in full screen "windowed" mode. I can get the full screen "windowed" mode on my initial Steam install by adding the -popupwindow flag to the launch options in steam, but I can't get to those launch options for my second instance of KSP. Does anyone know where I would put that flag?

Also I read somewhere to add the -adapter 2 flag to those launch options to get KSP to open in my second window, but that doesn't seem to actually work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also this mod has the potential (if I ever get my setup working) to be completely awesome, so well done!

Also I am running this through steam on a windows machine if that is helpful.

Sorry for some reason the forums haven't been emailing me when people post here, so I missed out. Grumble grumble.

Does anyone how to properly run two copies of KSP on a Mac? I've got one 1440p display, and two 1080p displays. I run KSP on the 1440p. Only problem is that I have issues with running two instances in full screen. The problem is, I can't get the second copy of KSP to run correctly in full screen on either of my 1080p displays. When I go into fullscreen mode on another monitor, it scales up to the size of 1440p regardless of my set resolution.

Additionally - I really wish KSP didn't use the mac native fullscreen. It would be better if it just made itself fullscreen on its own.

You probably want to run one of the instances in window mode, then "borderless window" it. Sorry I don't know how to do that on a mac (I run linux myself), but you can at least enter window mode in the ksp options (it won't conflict with the options of your other ksp instance).

I'm also having trouble getting the client to stop "waiting for sync." Running OSX with default settings.

No firewall enabled or anything on the computer.

Hmm that shouldn't happen especially on the one machine. I know at least one other person has it running on mac, so that shouldn't be the problem. Have you started the game on the "server" and loaded a save? As usual log files might help diagnose the problem.

I'm having some problems getting this working. I can get it to open and sync, so I don't think it is an issue with the mod. I am trying to open the "map" version on my second monitor, in full screen "windowed" mode (so I can click between them and not have the borders) and the main version on my main monitor in full screen "windowed" mode. I can get the full screen "windowed" mode on my initial Steam install by adding the -popupwindow flag to the launch options in steam, but I can't get to those launch options for my second instance of KSP. Does anyone know where I would put that flag?

Also I read somewhere to add the -adapter 2 flag to those launch options to get KSP to open in my second window, but that doesn't seem to actually work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also this mod has the potential (if I ever get my setup working) to be completely awesome, so well done!

Also I am running this through steam on a windows machine if that is helpful.

You can probably run the second instance directly from a command prompt/shortcut, bypass steam, and pass in the arguments that way.

You probably want to run one of the instances in window mode, then "borderless window" it. Sorry I don't know how to do that on a mac (I run linux myself), but you can at least enter window mode in the ksp options (it won't conflict with the options of your other ksp instance).

How do you do this on Linux? Mac is UNIX so perhaps there is a way to setup borderless window. Do you execute KSP from a terminal command?

I made a simple batchfile containing the following

@echo off

start "" ".\kspServer"

start "" ".\kspClient"

exit

the kspServer and kspClient are two shortcuts you have to make yourself, pointing to your ksp Server and Client.

if you would add --Windowed to those, it should work borderles, (not verified)

it is still not a fix to open the client on the second window.

• 1 month later...

The mod still works as is with 0.24. It does seem a little bit more buggy, but the good news is that it won't effect your game negatively in any way, it's just that occasionally the map view will be looking at the wrong vessel. When stuff like that happens you can just restart the map view at will without interrupting the main game.

I do plan on trying to address these bugs soon, but real life keeps getting in the way.

This is fantastic! So much fun, it's like an instant mission control. Very useful for helping others learn the game, since I can tweak their maneuver nodes if they get stuck.

One thing I think would make this even better is correcting the following:

1.) The navball doesn't seem to be working in the map view, it kind of just lolls around randomly.

2.) The ship part count, weight, etc. don't update in the info box on the right side of the map.

I was impressed that the maneuver node delta-v works great, though. Kudos for a great mod. A little bit of polishing (and a few words in the readme to help newbs like me figure out how to connect over IP) and this will become a "must have" mod. I would even venture that something like this is a better direction for multiplayer to go than multiple independent players whizzing around thousands or millions of kilometers away from each other.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

fwiw, I seem to have the same symptoms over LAN as SolarAdmiral: the client will sync initially, but then only load from the save and not update any changes from there. Unlike SolarAdmiral, wiring the two machines together directly didn't solve the problem. I tried multiple configurations with my router and firewalls.

Sucks, I was really hoping to use it for a mission control party. :(

If it helps, here are the logs...

Server: http://pastebin.com/WtRMdSyC

Client: http://pastebin.com/ZMCirXBY

• 3 weeks later...

Love this.

Warning: DO NOT REMOVE THE PARTS FOLDERS FROM THE CLIENT INSTANCE OF KSP (crafts will not load properly)

Bugs :

Renaming vessels and changing icons does not update.

Physics warp does not show up in the client window (map view)

Pausing the game does not show up in the client window (map view) and it will continue to run along the projected path.

The navball. 'Nuff said.

I know this may be too much to ask for, but is it possible to make plugins like KAC sync up? (Or at least make an API for modders to work with)

Edited by Thunderous Echo

Oh, I found a way to make the client way more efficient.

It looks like the way it's done now is you copy the craft from the server to the client window, and then teleport it around.

But we never see the craft in the map window, so why do this?

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just create a one part craft on the client side?

(I do realize physics isn't calculated, but its probably rendering or updating or something).

"I plan on addressing this somewhat by removing/unloading all the ship parts that get loaded into memory, as you don't need them in map view."

I guess that might work too.

Edited by Thunderous Echo

Okay, third post of today, but I just absolutely love this mod.

I think its cool that (though this may not be intentional) you can have different mods for the map view and normal view.

Right now I'm using Atmospheric Trajectories, but I don't want the window showing up on the normal view, so I only have the plugin installed on the client (map).

This plugin is also useful for timelapses, so you don't get "map view flicker" which results from repeatedly changing in and out of Map View while the video runs at high speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, the KSP forums seemed to have stopped emailing me when someone replies in here. I thought no one was interested in the mod, so sorry for the radio silence.

The first thing I will do is download .25 and make sure it works okay with that. Now to address all your comments.

This is fantastic! So much fun, it's like an instant mission control. Very useful for helping others learn the game, since I can tweak their maneuver nodes if they get stuck.

One thing I think would make this even better is correcting the following:

1.) The navball doesn't seem to be working in the map view, it kind of just lolls around randomly.

2.) The ship part count, weight, etc. don't update in the info box on the right side of the map.

I was impressed that the maneuver node delta-v works great, though. Kudos for a great mod. A little bit of polishing (and a few words in the readme to help newbs like me figure out how to connect over IP) and this will become a "must have" mod. I would even venture that something like this is a better direction for multiplayer to go than multiple independent players whizzing around thousands or millions of kilometers away from each other.

Thanks again!

I'm glad you like it! Yeah the navball doesn't work, it's a feature I tried to implement for a day or two but didn't get very far. The ship part count etc will most likely never work. I very deliberately decided to make this mod "map view only" because it is far simpler. Getting mass, fuel, parts etc synced would be a lot more work, and my full time job takes up most of my screen time.

fwiw, I seem to have the same symptoms over LAN as SolarAdmiral: the client will sync initially, but then only load from the save and not update any changes from there. Unlike SolarAdmiral, wiring the two machines together directly didn't solve the problem. I tried multiple configurations with my router and firewalls.

Sucks, I was really hoping to use it for a mission control party. :(

If it helps, here are the logs...

Server: http://pastebin.com/WtRMdSyC

Client: http://pastebin.com/ZMCirXBY

Sorry to hear that. From the log it appears that the data sent via UDP isn't arriving on the other end. I will try and replicate it but most likely it is a networking/firewall issue on your end. What IP/port settings are you using in samv settings?

Love this.

Warning: DO NOT REMOVE THE PARTS FOLDERS FROM THE CLIENT INSTANCE OF KSP (crafts will not load properly)

Bugs :

Renaming vessels and changing icons does not update.

Physics warp does not show up in the client window (map view)

Pausing the game does not show up in the client window (map view) and it will continue to run along the projected path.

The navball. 'Nuff said.

I know this may be too much to ask for, but is it possible to make plugins like KAC sync up? (Or at least make an API for modders to work with)

Most of those bugs are just "things I haven't done yet". A few are listed on the github issues.

As far as an API goes, it's pretty much already there. If any modders want to use it to sync their mod data across, they can. It's not something I am going to work on myself, there are too many bugs to fix before adding new features!

Oh, I found a way to make the client way more efficient.

It looks like the way it's done now is you copy the craft from the server to the client window, and then teleport it around.

But we never see the craft in the map window, so why do this?

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just create a one part craft on the client side?

(I do realize physics isn't calculated, but its probably rendering or updating or something).

"I plan on addressing this somewhat by removing/unloading all the ship parts that get loaded into memory, as you don't need them in map view."

I guess that might work too.

Yes, it would be more efficient in terms of initial network bandwidth, but that isn't a big issue. The saves/crafts are transferred very infrequently. The positional/velocity updates which are transferred every 1/60th of a second or so are much, much smaller.

Another Bug:

Going anywhere near the ground will cause the client to produce very loud explosion noises and particles.

Unfortunately ksp really doesn't like it when you force update the position/velocity of vessels near the ground, and the built in cheat mode "Indestructible vessels" doesn't do what it says on the tin. I usually mute the map view instance.

Was thinking about trying out this mod, but a quick legal question: I am assuming that you need to purchase an additional copy of KSP to make this work, right? The two versions of KSP have to be the same, right? So you couldn't run your already purchased copy as one instance and the demo as another instance...

That question might be better aimed at Squad, but I think they'd probably be ok with it. You're still only playing the one "game", despite there being two processes. It's not like you have to buy a new copy of your word processing software if you want to have two documents open at the same time.

Yea but with multiple documents open I still only have the program installed a single time. Even running multiple instances of the executable isn't bad. It's installing the program more than once that usually violates the EULA. So if you have KSP installed once, but are running multiple instances, it's probably okay. Installing two copies of the program...even on one computer but most certainly on multiple computers...is probably a violation.

But yea, I'm just speculating. Squad would have to weigh in on it. I'll give the EULA a quick look-over too when I have a chance...

Download tar.gz or zip

Changelog:

* Updated for KSP 0.25

* Fixed a bug stopping main menu from working on client

* Fixed a bug with the auto start setting not being honoured

* Fixed a bug preventing focus switching in map view

* More logging to help diagnose connection issues

* Vessel renaming synced

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, awesome mod! Its exactly was i have been looking for.

I still have a problem though. I started 2 instances with -popupwindow in W7x64, and the client/server connect fine. Still I can't control the view in the client. I can click some of the buttons (staging, orbit e.g.), but the camera does not respond to the mouse or keyboard. Are you familiar with this issue?

Thx

Nope, haven't seen that one. Does it happen on windows 32bit (or linux/mac) for you? Most mods authors (and squad themselves) don't support 64bit on windows because it is quite flaky. I can't replicate it on linux myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.