Show Off your New Ion-Powered / Xenon Fueled Crafts! (0.90)

It makes them a bit more robust, but if you were to just roll off it's still very apt to either knock the panels, the xenon tanks or the rover wheels and batteries off. Rockets worked more reliably and gave it jetpack capabilities to get over cliffs and such, a little technical to make them work right but useful.

• 2 weeks later...
Why isn't this thread stickied anymore? Its next to impossible to find a thread dedicated to ion crafts because the forum doesn't let you search for 3 letter words

Threads of the month get stickied for a single month (Duh!). However, you could always search using google adding "KSP forums" to anything else, the first hit will be from here, and probably much more accurate than what the very broken search bar of the forums will get you. Or you could subscribe to this thread, and receive notifications when there are new posts.

Rune. Hope that helps! :)

Why isn't this thread stickied anymore? Its next to impossible to find a thread dedicated to ion crafts because the forum doesn't let you search for 3 letter words

You could always just bookmark it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have something new for the ion community! With the help of kethane, you can centralize your gazillion xenon tanks into a single, easily refuelable kethane tank, as well as powering your drive chemically, working even through the night:

BhtDe9N.png

At it's most inefficient setting (full night, 100% powered from the kethane generator) this thing burns about 50 units of kethane a minute to keep eight ion engines going full blast. That can't work out to a bad isp once I run the numbers, right?

Rune. Though perhaps I'm reinventing the nuke.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made a JOOL-5 Low-mass entry with an additional grand tour with landing on all the bodies except Eve.

The ship was under 10 tons on the launch pad and less than 6 tons in space. It had only one ion engine as the lander's engine and the main drive too. :cool:

Click on the picture for the mission details:

ZmtDaXd.jpg

I have made a JOOL-5 Low-mass entry with an additional grand tour with landing on all the bodies except Eve.

The ship was under 10 tons on the launch pad and less than 6 tons in space. It had only one ion engine as the lander's engine and the main drive too. :cool:

Click on the picture for the mission details:

-snip-

5 seconds for 2 m/s of delta-v. You must have lots of patience. :confused:

I have something new for the ion community! With the help of kethane, you can centralize your gazillion xenon tanks into a single, easily refuelable kethane tank, as well as powering your drive chemically, working even through the night/QUOTE]

Is it just for testing the engines or has this thing an actual purpose? I mean, with that Kethane Tank, it should have quite a lot of burning time, but is the TWR high enough?

5 seconds for 2 m/s of delta-v. You must have lots of patience. :confused:

Hehe, it was only at the beginning, when getting to Laythe. There I dumped the Laythe lander, and next time I got rid of the Tylo lander too. Then the ship became less than 2 tons which was fast enough. With 4x time warp (ALT+timewarp button) all the burning was very quick. The Moho injection was about 2000 m/s which was maybe 20 minutes, 5 minutes with 4x warp. So it was not bad at all.

Only problem was that I had to stay on the sunny side of a planet to make the bigger burns and the landings (my batteries were enough for a 300 m/s burn). :)

I have something new for the ion community! With the help of kethane, you can centralize your gazillion xenon tanks into a single, easily refuelable kethane tank, as well as powering your drive chemically, working even through the night

Is it just for testing the engines or has this thing an actual purpose? I mean, with that Kethane Tank, it should have quite a lot of burning time, but is the TWR high enough?

Didn't see that! Well, it was meant to be a short of "clean nuke" subassembly, a drive to be lifted to orbit and attached to fuel tanks for orbit to orbit deliveries. Now, with the rebalanced converters though... I have yet to test it.

Rune. Sadly, I invented it just in time to be axed.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.