png to mbm

Just like the title says, is it possible to convert mbm to png and then convert the png back to mbm? I find it's much easier to work with png files but I would like to convert them back to mbm when i'm done editing them.

If you change the mbm file extension to raw, you can open it with some image viewers, but you'll have to work out the colour depth and dimensions by trial and error. You can then save it as png.

Unity can convert your textures to mbm when you export your model.

You might as well work with TGAs to be honest. When compressed correctly (not by Unity) they look good and don't take much space.

Sorry. All I know about it is what I noticed from doing thing myself. For some reason Unity compresses TGAs in a way that makes them a)larger and b)uglier, than TGAs compressed by GIMP.

So use GIMP to save TGAs for your models making sure the "compressed" check box is checked, and after you export your model from Unity, overwrite the TGAs that it creates with your originals.

I'm only attempting to edit the textures of some stock parts so I won't be using Unity. Unless I need to use Unity in which case i'm totally lost.

Edit: I think I discovered that it is currently impossible to edit the textures of existing parts.

Edit 2: Nevermind, i'm moving on to something else

Edited by Dr. Kriger

I'm only attempting to edit the textures of some stock parts so I won't be using Unity. Unless I need to use Unity in which case i'm totally lost.

Edit: I think I discovered that it is currently impossible to edit the textures of existing parts.

Edit 2: Nevermind, i'm moving on to something else

If you don't mind the mbm textures being loaded, the game will load pngs instead of mbm, you just need to copy it to the folder with the same name as the mbm

1. Grab the "mbm to png converter" on spaceport.

2. Use it on any mbm files you want to edit.

3. Rename the original .mbm files to .mbm.bak (so they won't load, and the pngs will load instead)

4. Edit the pngs to taste.

I'll give that a try, thanks

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.