[1.3](Jan09/17) Landing Height: Show distance from bottom of your vessel to ground

Diazo

I didn't see this in the thread, so my apologies if this is a known issue.

The altimeter seems to misbehave from time to time when I'm flying planes in RO. The altitude will drop to 0, then start climbing slowly (~2-3 m/s?), either until it reaches what I assume is the correct height or several hundred meters, whichever is lower. So far I haven't noticed a way to get this to consistently work, unfortunately.

I'm not able to get a recording at the moment, but if this is something new I'll be glad to record an example.

Unfortunately I suspect this is an artifact of RO's editing of the planets.

If this mod encounters an error, it falls back to displaying the height above ground as reported by Stock KSP. The fact that the altitude of 0 is being displayed and that it slowly climbs back up indicates this mod is finding "ground" somehow.

It probably is also specific to only certain locations on the planet, if you can narrow it down exactly I can install RO myself to see what is happening at that specific location, without that I don't think there's anything I can do.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Sorry for the delay, somehow missed the notification >_<

I know I've seen this on launches from the Cape Canaveral pad, but there hasn't been anything consistent yet. I've also seen this on plane flights off the Cape runway heading in a straight line east over the ocean, and that seems to show an incorrect altitude more frequently. I'll keep an eye out though.

• 4 weeks later...

It works fine in a quick 5 minute test.

All of my mods work fine actually and nothing in the patch notes affects what I interface with so the most recent version of all my mods should work on 1.1.3. (AutoActions is the exception, you'll need to grab a community fix from the last page of it's thread until I can find some time to officially update it.)

D.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya, going to do that as soon as I fix a stupid error.

Version 1.7 works but log spams, Version 1.7a will be up in a minute.

D.

edit: Okay, fixed version is up. However Squad has done something in this last version and sometimes the Raycast is hitting parts on the ship. Not sure why and I'm out of time tonight, will look into it tomorrow.

For now, if you noticed nonsense altitudes such as a reading of 1 or 2 meters high when you are 1500 meters in the air, ignore it or switch to Orbital mode until I can sort this out.

Edited by Diazo

On 13/10/2016 at 4:33 AM, Diazo said:

For now, if you noticed nonsense altitudes such as a reading of 1 or 2 meters high when you are 1500 meters in the air, ignore it or switch to Orbital mode until I can sort this out.

Thanks for the mod and this note - was about to raise a bug :)

11 hours ago, Diazo said:

@micha This should fix the issue you were seeing. If it doesn't please let me know the location (or provide a save) so I track down whats happening.

Seems to be fine now in similar situations - unfortunately didn't keep a (quick)save from the original issue. Good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

instead of having this only auto switch between AGL and ASL could you also make a toggle for the user to select what they want?  as many times I may be in surface mode, but want to see ASL.

for instance would it be possible to make a small indicator that sits on the altitude display and clicking it would toggle AGL/ASL.  and for those who do not want this option, still have it auto switch when it detects the change from surface to orbit and back.

• 1 month later...

Version 1.9

Download here.

Redo ray-cast logic from scratch to clean it up as it had been ages since I'd last done this and was getting "exception spagehtti" all over the place. (Thanks to Stephen Mading for prompting the discussion that got me to do this.)

New functionality: Other vessels are now correctly detected as "ground" and the altimeter will display the distance to them if you are coming straight down on them as those are the first things you will hit.

@Bit Fiddler This does not do anything about your request for switching modes, I'm actually somewhat at a loss what to do there as this mod simply doesn't have a GUI to interact with.

D.

Version 2.0

Add ability to display and/or lock the current display mode.

Download from Github here.

New Version 2.0: Mode Display

yZ8xvJJ.png

AGL: Altimeter showing distance to ground/object below vessel.

ASL: Altimeter showing distance to sea level.

Green Text or no text visible: Automatic mode based on Surface or Orbital mode as displayed just above nav-ball.

Red Text: Mode locked, will always stay in the displayed mode.

Click inside the red box to change mode, this is a game-wide setting. Due to oddities in how the UI works I could not make the entire altimeter clickable, just the left side. (Red box is not visible in-game.)

Happy KSPing all.

D.

8 hours ago, Diazo said:

Version 2.0

Add ability to display and/or lock the current display mode.

Download from Github here.

New Version 2.0: Mode Display

yZ8xvJJ.png

AGL: Altimeter showing distance to ground/object below vessel.

ASL: Altimeter showing distance to sea level.

Green Text or no text visible: Automatic mode based on Surface or Orbital mode as displayed just above nav-ball.

Red Text: Mode locked, will always stay in the displayed mode.

Click inside the red box to change mode, this is a game-wide setting. Due to oddities in how the UI works I could not make the entire altimeter clickable, just the left side. (Red box is not visible in-game.)

Happy KSPing all.

D.

did you try to put a button that covers the whole area without any image or to be more precise a totally transparent image there? I think it should work. also, instead of using that big green text, could you show something else that would get less space from gui? for example, you could show a circular light to the top right of that widget on the right side (like the one it has in the bottom left of it) ?

The code I used was supposed to (at least as I understand it) make the Altitude Tumblers in a clickable button. So I don't know why only the left half of the tumblers are clickable, or why down in the pressure gauge is also clickable. I spent significant time trying to figure it out and ultimately decided that Squad has done something with invisible objects to make everything work (that tumbler is complicated) and without knowing that I would not be able to figure it out so I went with the best I could manage.

As for the text, while GUI space was a concern, the fact that it can be hidden and the fact that I really wanted to have the actual "ASL" or "AGL" text display (and not just a light) drove my decision to show it as I did.

D.

34 minutes ago, Diazo said:

The code I used was supposed to (at least as I understand it) make the Altitude Tumblers in a clickable button. So I don't know why only the left half of the tumblers are clickable, or why down in the pressure gauge is also clickable. I spent significant time trying to figure it out and ultimately decided that Squad has done something with invisible objects to make everything work (that tumbler is complicated) and without knowing that I would not be able to figure it out so I went with the best I could manage.

As for the text, while GUI space was a concern, the fact that it can be hidden and the fact that I really wanted to have the actual "ASL" or "AGL" text display (and not just a light) drove my decision to show it as I did.

D.

I Hope Squad really didn't use the PosZ on rect transform on the right hand side, that would mean we would have an extra draw call for that section. About the text of AGL and ASL, the only thing I don't like about it the size and the fact that they sit on top of the bar hiding section of the atmospheric bar, maybe reduce the words to G and S ? or change the size of the text?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.