[1.3](Jan09/17) Landing Height: Show distance from bottom of your vessel to ground

Diazo

Amazing mod. Helps with planes, boats, any kind of lander. Very clean design, almost invisible. Saves me lots of headaches.

I do have one comment/suggestion: When I'm flying over the ocean in Surface Mode, the altimeter defaults to showing me altitude above ground (the ground under the water that is). This is not useful for trying to not crash into the water. Obvious answer: click the altimeter to change it to ASL and problem solved. And that is exactly what I've been doing so far. Thing is, I'm annoyed by the "ASL" text that partially obscures view of the atmosphere gauge. I could also switch to Orbit Mode, but since I'm flying in the atmo I need Surface.

Anyway, it would be great to either: (1) have the mod know if you're flying above water and show ASL (Surface Mode), or (2) have a way to hide the text, maybe make it so it goes away with a right click, or after 3 seconds of not clicking it.

Erm, it's actually supposed to show ASL when over the ocean even when in Surface mode. I'll have to see what broke.

This is on Kerbin right?

D.

edit: Going to need more details, a quick test on Kerbin in the ocean right next to KSC shows behavior as expected. IE: When over the ocean, AGL and ASL mode show the same height, the distance to the ocean.

It won't be quite the same because ASL shows distance from vessel CoM while AGL mode shows distance from lowest point on the vessel, but it will only be a few meters difference.

Edited by Diazo

@gift01 That is the same issue @A_name reported, but in my testing I can't replicate it as the mod shows distance to water in both modes on my computer.

Where is this happening and are your running any mods? (Notably ones that change planets or the solar system.)

D.

Weird.

The latter part of the sequence of pictures is up at 9km altitude, this mod is supposed to disable itself when you are that high because the ground is outside the physics bubble so there is no ground for the raycast to hit.

Should get a chance to investigate tomorrow, I need to launch KSP and watch the numbers I'm doing math with to see what is happening.

D.

3 hours ago, Diazo said:

The latter part of the sequence of pictures is up at 9km altitude, this mod is supposed to disable itself when you are that high because the ground is outside the physics bubble so there is no ground for the raycast to hit.

This is probably it. It usually happens at higher altitudes.

I've noticed something odd; there is a green 'AGL' or 'ASL' (depending on mode) displayed over the left side of the air-pressure gauge. Is there a debug setting or something that toggles this? It's a little distracting at times.

EDIT: Of course, if I read back a page I could see where you talked about this. But the question stands - is there a way to disable that text?

Edited by Bombaatu

Version 2.1

Download here.

-Fix PQS math error when oceans are present.

-Reduce size of ASL/AGL text.

Alright, this should fix the errors in altitude being displayed over the ocean.

@A_name Are you able to test the second case in your pictures again? (Where the correct altitude was 9km and this mod was displaying 3km) I'm asking because I can see how the error I fixed could cause a incorrectly high reading, I can't see how it would cause an incorrectly low reading. Now, it was a pretty major math error so it might be fixed but I'd like to confirm.

I also reduce the size of the AGL/ASL text over the pressure gauge as per comments in thread. This work any better?

Happy KSPing all.

D.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 10:49 PM, Diazo said:

Version 2.1

Download here.

-Fix PQS math error when oceans are present.

-Reduce size of ASL/AGL text.

Alright, this should fix the errors in altitude being displayed over the ocean.

@A_name Are you able to test the second case in your pictures again? (Where the correct altitude was 9km and this mod was displaying 3km) I'm asking because I can see how the error I fixed could cause a incorrectly high reading, I can't see how it would cause an incorrectly low reading. Now, it was a pretty major math error so it might be fixed but I'd like to confirm.

I also reduce the size of the AGL/ASL text over the pressure gauge as per comments in thread. This work any better?

Happy KSPing all.

D.

Hey, I've been away for a while, sorry. I will test again and report back. Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.