[1.3](Jan09/17) Landing Height: Show distance from bottom of your vessel to ground

Diazo

.net code is just like Java in that the binaries are bytecodes that will work on any CPU, unless the dev deliberately does something that will only work on one specific CPU type. That is something that's rarely needed and actually a pain in the butt to get right, so it's very unlikely to be done accidentally. I think it's safe to say that most plugins will just work on 64 bit.

Clicking on the "Surface" indication just above the navball to change it to "Orbit" is not enough of a toggle?

I was thinking that would be enough of a toggle for people who were using it.

I suppose I could also ask what kind of toggle? Just on/off? Or is there some flight profile you are on that it is not working for you?

The single binary works for both 32 and 64 bit.

D.

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. It's fine.

• 2 months later...

It is purely opinion what should and should not be a part vs. something integrated into the UI, but on this I am of the opinion that this is something the default UI should offer by default.

I would actually argue that this method of altitude display in this mod should be default because the current KSP default works on air pressure to provide your altitude, similar to real life barometric pressure altimeters, but most bodies in the kerbol system don't have air so radar altitude to the ground directly below you makes more sense.

I suppose that is a long winded way of saying that no, I have no plans to convert this to using a part.

D.

It is purely opinion what should and should not be a part vs. something integrated into the UI, but on this I am of the opinion that this is something the default UI should offer by default.

I would actually argue that this method of altitude display in this mod should be default because the current KSP default works on air pressure to provide your altitude, similar to real life barometric pressure altimeters, but most bodies in the kerbol system don't have air so radar altitude to the ground directly below you makes more sense.

I suppose that is a long winded way of saying that no, I have no plans to convert this to using a part.

D.

I agree. I like it the way it is. Very simple. It just adjusts KSP UI to work the way I want it to. Great Mod!

• 2 months later...

As I have never looked at RPM compatibilty, I am going to say no.

RPM support for all my mods is something I've been toying with, but something else keeps coming up that I need to deal with first. (Right now I need to get started on making AGX work with 0.90.)

I do intend to look at it at some point, just not sure when.

D.

Alright, I just took a look at RPM to see how big a deal it would be and it turns out this is already present in RPM.

The RPM variable "ALTITUDEBOTTOM" is effectively the same as this mod. It does it slightly differently and is slightly less precise, but it is close enough I'm not going to spend my time integrating this mod when it is already there.

For the record, RPM is slightly less precise because when it calculates height above terrain, it uses the terrain height below the vessel's CoM for all parts regardless of how far apart the part is horizontally from the vessel's CoM.

This mod uses the height of the terrain straight down below the part's current position.

A small difference that would probably only be apparent if the hill was steep enough you would tip over on landing, but it is there.

D.

One thing I noticed is that when I'm under canopy over an ocean, at some point during the descent (I think around 300 meters?) it drops to 1m and stays there until splashdown. Not a big deal, but just wanted to mention it (saw this in both 0.25 and 0.90)

• 2 weeks later...
One thing I noticed is that when I'm under canopy over an ocean, at some point during the descent (I think around 300 meters?) it drops to 1m and stays there until splashdown. Not a big deal, but just wanted to mention it (saw this in both 0.25 and 0.90)

I was able to finally take a look at this and I am unable to replicate.

I assume by "under canopy" you mean hanging from a parachute?

Now, I just used stock parts into the ocean nearish to the launch complex on Kerbin for my tests, I suspect this has something to do with the terrain under the water where you are coming down.

Can you give me more info on where you were and what parts you were using please?

Thanks,

D.

Yesterday, Jebediah was doing many EVA's on the Mun, jetpacking over ridges, over a km away from his ship. He was startled to discover that his altimeter jumped from 000000m to ASL as soon as he would cease to touch the surface. Since his suit does not have a navball, he was unable to switch his altimeter to above terrain mode. I promised him to enquire if his Landing Height suit plugin could be updated to include this functionality. :)

Version 1.3

Download here.

-Fix code so a value that makes sense is returned when their are no parts with colliders on the vessel (such as a Kerbal on EVA).

@NBZ: This should take care of your issue.

Note that when the Kerbal goes on EVA, it inherits whatever speed mode was displayed before switching to it. If you need to switch modes after EVA'ing, switch back to a vessel, change the speed display on the navball and then switch back to the Kerbal.

Let me know how this works for you,

D.

Edited by Diazo

• 5 weeks later...

Bump, because this really should be stock!

Also, I've noticed that I one of the digits on the display rolls back when it gets to nine to get to zero, instead of just rolling one position forward to get to it.

So, when it goes 8,9,0...it instead goes 8,9, reverses all the way from 9 down to 1 really quickly,0. Minor thing really, but annoying when you're watching the altimeter during a landing procedure. :)

Edited by Vladthemad

Heh. I took a quick look at that, but there's nothing I can do.

All this mod does is change the altitude I tell the game to display, I don't actually change how the altimeter works so that behavior is stock, you just don't normally see it because unless you are landing at exactly sea level the height isn't zero.

Happy KSPing all,

D.

Heh. I took a quick look at that, but there's nothing I can do.

All this mod does is change the altitude I tell the game to display, I don't actually change how the altimeter works so that behavior is stock, you just don't normally see it because unless you are landing at exactly sea level the height isn't zero.

Happy KSPing all,

D.

Dammit Squad! :) Thanks for looking into it and letting us know.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.