Bigger Asteroids in KSP

Hate to be a party pooper here, but I've always found D and E to be on the buggy side, particularly when not using KJR's stabilized physics load. When the physics load in on a large aster, the postion of the klawed ship and aster seem to be slighly off and it can jolt/wobble the ship when the physics load. Bigger asters lead to bigger jolts in the ship can be ripped apart.

But with a combo of unity 5 and a physics load stabilizer (and maybe a 2.5m Klaw... *clears throat*) it would be rather cool.

@RA3236 I agree, scaled up these asteroids are plenty big, and even in Kerbal terms they're pretty large. But I still think it would be nice to have them, because those Kinds of objects do exist, we got lucky with Jupiters position and the location of the kuiper belt. but on the inner ring, asteroids tend to be around the size to kill a planet... eveen if that wasn't the case... who said KSP had to be realistic? 

6 hours ago, Andem said:

@RA3236 I agree, scaled up these asteroids are plenty big, and even in Kerbal terms they're pretty large. But I still think it would be nice to have them, because those Kinds of objects do exist, we got lucky with Jupiters position and the location of the kuiper belt. but on the inner ring, asteroids tend to be around the size to kill a planet... eveen if that wasn't the case... who said KSP had to be realistic? 

Yeah, KSP Solar system isn't realistic, and I wouldn't mind having a 1km asteroid to kill off the kerbosaurs.

On 11-1-2016 at 11:35 AM, Andem said:

But isn't Kerbin technically within an asteroid belt? I mean, the current system seems to have put Kerbin right in the middle of a roid field...

If you have to believe Asteroid day is an appropriate source (which I do, as it is an official mod made by SQUAD, but you don't have to), there is actually a valid reason for that.

According to the mod, (or at least in the way it behaves), asteroids are everywhere. The things is, the tracking station can see small objects only so far out. The rest of the asteroids flying around are hidden. To see the asteroids in a particular area you'd have to send a telescope there. For huge asteroids in an asteroid belt, this would not be a problem, as you can just say they are just big enough to see at that distance.

All of this is if you see an official mod as a good source, though. 

If Kerbin would really be in an asteroid field, which could also be the case. It would explain the lack of buildings on the surface. It would also mean that Kerbin is a dwarf planet.

Guess only the dev's know.

1 hour ago, nikokespprfan said:

...It would also mean that Kerbin is a dwarf planet...

Up until the Dres-teroids were added, I found it odd that one of the few planets to be directly stated as a dwarf planet, was not, in fact in an asteroid belt (although a ring of asteroids orbiting it aren't quite the same).

Anywho, as for the post, the idea of larger asteroid classes out between Dres and Jool would be interesting. They may not be able to be redirected by any sane human, but could still make nifty pit stops.

On 10/5/2015 at 0:54 PM, nikokespprfan said:

The thing for gravity, (I don't know whether it's possible, or practical, but hey, we have atmospheres that can apply a force other than gravity) is to generate a force towards the asteroid when you are in the FX bubble, that you then add to the force from Kerbol, the resulting force being the gravity of the asteroid and Kerbol combined.

Since IRL, gravity is a force, this seems to be a damn good way of doing it. However, in a computer program, there are almost always half a dozen concerns that don't exist in real life. I give it a 66% chance of success.

On 10/8/2015 at 3:56 AM, DancZer said:

What about asteroid belt somewhere between planets? I think it would increase the challenge to reach outer celestial bodies.

Keep in mind that that would require some way to track/navigate/react to this belt.... As in, we would have to sit and watch our ships fly through, and adjust course to avoid while still far enough out to affect a course with an acceleration that is <5% of orbital velocity. 

That, or we would have to fly North/South of the Asteroid Belt, or maybe clear paths through it that lined up with transfer windows.

• 5 months later...

Asteroids in KSP are pathetic compared to real life ones, I mean, yeah, I have to take into consideration the LIMITATIONS Squad had to face in order to be able to implement them in a way as realistic as the Unity engine could possibly allow them to, but, asteroids in real life actually have their own microgravity, meanwhile asteroids in KSP are way too small to be able to gravitate on their own. I'd have to say that Gilly would probably be a more true-to-life choice than the Potatoroids we encounter in the "Dres belt", an area between Dres and Duna's orbits where asteroids are most likely to spawn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.