Show off your Apollo Replicas (.23.5)

Ah, nice Rune! expected something nice from you, having seen your contributions about the forums :wink:

I'm the opposite somehow, I just don't seem to be able to design a small one that manages the payload I'd like... more down to engineering I think, I have a loooong way to catch up with some of you forum long-timers :D

Here is my Apollo Style replica. 1st and 2nd stages get you up to altitude. 3rd stage gets Kerbin orbit and gets encounter with the Mun. I decouple 3rd stage so it crashes into the Mun. Not before detaching upper stage to turn around and dock with Munar Lander. Plenty of fuel to Land on Mun twice and return.

UpperStage_zps2c1d9b38.png

LowerStages_zpsbfe70d14.png

Strangely enough, I get very good results with small replicas, the large ones give me payload capabilities I don't know what to do with. Phoebus, my latest 230 part, Skipper-powered replica:

http://imgur.com/a/49GNF

Rune. If you want it, check R-SUV!

Hi Rune,

I may have commented on this one before..

It's a decent apollo craft. It is lacking the three

Size differences of the real ones profile though.

Do your fairings release from the decoupler?

And into how many pieces?

Also, why did you place the first stage fins

In between the engine fairings?

I have one that's very near completion also using

Skippers. She takes off satisfyingly slowly!

Keep up the good work mate!

MJ

Yeah, can't get quotes to work. Anyhow, yeah, we were commenting on it on its own thread last week. In fact, check out the last picture, and you will see how similar comments sparked slight redesigns... fins, stripes and hullage engines are much better now. The three diameters, however, will have to wait for even bigger diameter tanks, I'm afraid, making up a new tank size would skyrocket part count. As to fairings, the interstage works as advertised, but the payload fairing stays all connected to the S-IVb. So I guess you could say the only thing lacking is the ejecting part of the payload fairing (which is the one that carried the last taper, incidentally).

Yeah, can't get quotes to work. Anyhow, yeah, we were commenting on it on its own thread last week. In fact, check out the last picture, and you will see how similar comments sparked slight redesigns... fins, stripes and hullage engines are much better now. The three diameters, however, will have to wait for even bigger diameter tanks, I'm afraid, making up a new tank size would skyrocket part count. As to fairings, the interstage works as advertised, but the payload fairing stays all connected to the S-IVb. So I guess you could say the only thing lacking is the ejecting part of the payload fairing (which is the one that carried the last taper, incidentally).

Yeah The last taper is the payload fairing.

I used the large adaptor for the first taper and then

Radial tanks to make a third tank size for the

Third stage. Added around 15 parts.

Everyone makes allowances for their own craft I guess

Could you make a launch video?

Having made my own interstage ring and I'm keen to

See how you did it.

MJ

Thanks Arn1e. It did need some lifter re-configurations... And you're right, neither of the new engines is good enough for the whole job... I pretty much found that out x^D

But now I have perfected my b̶o̶w̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶i̶n̶ Apollo:

Stages have been optimized, it now uses a bit of 3rd stage juice to finish circularizing (like the real one!). The 1st stage now has a little mainsail in the middle of that quad motor, instead of the nice big flat empty space ;]

3rd stage now uses a Skipper motor instead of the Poodle - as the poodlewas way underpowered.

And I have removed unnecessary fuel from the Command & Lunar Modules.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here's a different, FAILED variant -

because of the metal plates, the craft was 4 tons heavier, and apparently that was too much - the 3rd stage couldn't finish the transfer :^( So I decided to stick to the bowling pin look.

B.T.W. It consists of 250 parts. The 2nd one was 300+...

I'm now trying to make a nice little video of it.

because of the metal plates, the craft was 4 tons heavier, and apparently that was too much - the 3rd stage couldn't finish the transfer :^( So I decided to stick to the bowling pin look.

Yeah, I've found imitations just like that as well... one reason why I now go BIG! then it doesn't seem to matter how much I mess around adding bits and pieces, I can just add an extra (small) fuel tank here or there and the LV will once again get payload to orbit :)

I miss doing videos... and spending so much time on KSP these days I should be putting a few vids up, but stuck on stupid mobile 'net atm... so even watching some of the short (2-4 minute) videos people have posted have taken me over half hour and numerous tries to watch... guess uploading would be even worse! >.<

Back on topic, your landers look much better than mine - but I can't quite put my finger on why! :)

Here you go then

http://imgur.com/a/Keqp2

Some are slightly out of date as I have been working on the lander recently. I`ll update this gallery so that it shows a full mission with the latest craft. I`ve decided to call it Gumdrop after an early command module (kerpollo was waay overused)

I`ve recently done a mun mission without leaving IVA except when on EVA. I`m posting the videos as they are made here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76449-IVA-Apollo-Mission?p=1089473

This is not stock!

This is not stock!
He already said he did when he posted the lander section :)

Do you read the threads you post in?

EDIT : Also, you can edit your posts to avoid spamming the thread.

Edited by John FX

I miss doing videos... and spending so much time on KSP these days I should be putting a few vids up, but stuck on stupid mobile 'net atm... so even watching some of the short (2-4 minute) videos people have posted have taken me over half hour and numerous tries to watch... guess uploading would be even worse! >.<

Hahahaha xD my work is away from home, I go away for a week or more at a time and I have the most lousy reception possible there! right now I can barely even view pictures... luckily I got all the hardware needed for KSPing with me }:^3 hehehe

Back on topic, your landers look much better than mine - but I can't quite put my finger on why! :)

You're imagining stuff... my lander, is exactly the one part I wasn't applying aesthetics to. It was damn complicated, making it both 2-staged and with a rover. I took the cheesy shortcut of putting the rover underneath x-D

Also, it turns out that using these 4 tiny engines on it, was a very clever move! it's both efficient AND responsive! for instance, if it approaches another vessel at ~100m/s, it has no problem stopping quickly. I'm not fully satisfied with it's look, but I'm absolutely satisfied with it's handling!

Edited by Overfloater

love those apollo missions!

however i think there is no reason to do this in stock, apart from fun and style of course.

you wont get "retrieve vessel that did land somewhere" science and you cannot store all experiments in your capsule (duplicates).

thinking about it, maybe one could return just the docking port from the upper stage lander... mmh have to try this... :D

however i did a few apollo style missions the last days with my new savegame (TAC lifesupport + deadly reentry).

so its not stock but the craft would probably perform much better without this mods (extra weight).

had a lot of fun and wanted to share my pics:

the last few images show a version with fairings, looks way better imho :cool:

Edited by spaceBrezel

• 1 month later...

Here's my latest Apollo replica:

Here's a link to the STOCK CRAFT FILE DOWNLOAD

151 parts if I remember right. I used mechjeb for the pics and testing, .craft file is all stock.

I tried to build it with semi-realistic-ish numbers and sizes of engines. The delta-v in the stages is pretty realistic as well, forcing you to "reconfigure" and use the service module's engines to finish off your trans munar injection. The Mun lander leaves it's landing stage on the mun. The ascent stage of the lander, and the service module have a bit of extra d/v to make sure you get home safe. :0.0:

I love seeing other people's Apollo replicas! Especially the landers!

Rune's Phoebus looks awesome! :)

Edited by MrChumley
Updated .craft to reduce parts and optimize

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.