I've always had a fear of Dres.

WindShieIds

Dres needs to be tidally locked to the sun so we can have a dark side of the planet filled with creepy Easter-eggs of ship parts, empty space suits with a cracked visor, a run down base, some strange intricate compound/temple thing you can walk through (something a bit like the facility from Prometheus, more bigger cave things, etc... It would be extra cool if they redid the planet with a lot more canyons that were super deep with a thin atmosphere, the canyons could then show signs of past habitation, maybe with a run down cliff city??? Then we just need the KSP horror mod that has strange shadows, dust storms with odd movement just past what you can make out, random derbies scattered around the planet/moon, You could even have the derbies show up near bases after storms! Maybe solar panels, wheels, and docking connections could even break!

I'd download a mod like that just because it would add some really cool scenarios!

They should do this.

I once built a huge base right next to the canyon, didn't end well. Hint: Always leave the brakes on.

:D

I screwed up like that once. Had some part clipping by accident, and forgot that SAS wasn't enabled when there were no Kerbals on board... Gyro Kraken had a hayday.

Anyway, all of you people are lucky. I have this bizarre paranoia with sending Kerbals to another planet. I still haven't done it yet, although I have sent them to Mun/Minmus/High Solar Orbit. (Although probes to Jool, Duna, and Eve)

I've got an Eve and a Duna transfer window coming up soon. Goin' to Duna. Maybe...

Ah, Dres isn't so bad. It's like a miniature Mun! It even has this wonderful canyon near the equator for you to visit, with extra-steep walls and everything.

Wait, it's smaller than Mun?! I did not know this! I've made countless Mun landings and the only reason I haven't visited Dres is because I thought it'd take a lot of fuel for me to be able to land on it. By the sounds of things, returning probably isn't too hard either! This is great news, gonna go land on Dres.

There are ghosts on Dres. The ghosts of kerbals who were cursed by the kraken. At the base of that great crevice lies a dark door - a hidden door that is only visible to those doomed to enter. A door which leads to the paths of the dead.

Dres is no place for the living.

After the devs killed the Kraken's husband, she moved to Dres. She now lies in wait on the desolate mega-asteroid, ready to send unwary kerbals into the ninth level of Hell itself! Want proof? Look in my signature, click on the KSP Tales link, then click on the Mission Odin link...

There are ghosts on Dres. The ghosts of kerbals who were cursed by the kraken. At the base of that great crevice lies a dark door - a hidden door that is only visible to those doomed to enter. A door which leads to the paths of the dead.

Dres is no place for the living.

Dres is the "Flying Dutchman" of the Kerbal universe, capturing the souls of kerbonauts who have made their... impression... in the star system.

So... who is writing the fanfic?

Edited by vger

If you're playing with visual enchancements volumetric clouds, Eve is so damn tense. I added piles of thick cloud to the planet and had to fly through them using kethane turbines. Flying through purple smog with unreliable altimeters and zero visibility is pretty hairy.

I don't exactly find Eeloo creepy, however the first time I sent a mission there (manned) one of my kerbals disappeared without a trace (kieger or something like that). I had just started letting my kerbals stretch there legs and while I wasn't looking one of them just vanished... no recorded death or anything. I had no Idea what had happened and the other guys were bummed out all the way home. However when I went to check the recruitment building to confirm he was truly gone (he had done other good missions for me and was well respected) I found him just sitting there, like nothing had happened, waiting for his next assignment... I have never understood why or how he had come back to the KSC but I doubt I'll ever know.

Here is a pic of the reentry of kerbin, Fortunately at the time I had not known how to get rid of the overlay so the kerbal pics in IVA are still there, Unfortunately all pics I had of them on Eeloo were of the kerbals on EVA. I remember that I took this pick because I was coming in REALLY fast.

6714ACF5C1DE54A2516E277D5770FD4EBF357CF0

However when I went to check the recruitment building to confirm he was truly gone (he had done other good missions for me and was well respected) I found him just sitting there, like nothing had happened, waiting for his next assignment... I have never understood why or how he had come back to the KSC but I doubt I'll ever know.

By default, they respawn at the recruitment center after being lost/killed. That can be turned off in the save file. As to what happened to him in the first place? Can't help you with that one. :)

This thread inspired me to send a manned mission to Dres, just to see if it had the same effect on me that it's clearly had on other people. Al Kerman landed on the planet, did some science, returned to orbit and re-docked with the transfer stage, with no problems whatsoever. "Silly people," I thought, "Dres is no scarier than the Mun!"

Then I EVA'd out to transfer my science to the pod. I quicksaved, went to get make the transfer, and accidentally knocked one of my solar panels off. When I quickloaded, Al was completely comatose. I couldn't toggle RCS, I couldn't rotate him, I couldn't do anything. It was like his suit had frozen, leaving him alive but completely immobilized. And there was no probe core on the ship, so he was doomed to drift in orbit, unable to move, until he finally suffocated to death.

So I'd say fear of Dres is definitely justified. Next time I'm sending three Kerbals and a huge mothership.

This thread is somehow reminding me of John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, which is so crummy, I don't gather why it's the first thing to come to mind. It's the creepy vibe that space and other planets have when you're out there in the dark, by your lonesome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.