[0.23.5] MoveKSC - Change the location of KSC on Kerbin (latitude, longitude..)

voneiden

Howdy folks,

So I spotted that the people over at Real Solar System figured a way to change the location of KSC which is something I've wanted to do for quite a while.

So here be a tiny mod that allows everyone to change the location of KSC on Kerbin while not doing anything extra. The default config changes the latitude to 28.9411 degrees north and longitude to 20.1116 degrees west. The latitude is quite similar to Kennedy Space Center which should add some nice new challenges to the game.

miMgCMms.jpg 4fOs5b4s.jpg

Tips if you want to find your own place

To look for new places you might want to use HyperEdit. You can see your coordinates using something like Kerbal Engineering Redux or just from the map view when your vessel is landed (you need to convert the hour-minute-second values to decimal values though).

To convert from hour-minute-second to decimal value use the following formula: hour + (minute + (second / 60)) / 60. For example 15°10′20″N = 15.1722 . North is is positive, South is negative. East is positive, West is negative.

In addition when you change the latitude and longitude, the orientation of KSC gets messed up (Runway 09 does not point towards East). I'm sure there's an equation to calculate the correct orientation angle from the latitude and longitude but unless you figure it out you have to correct the orientation manually. The config file has extra tip on how to find the correct orientation setting.

Download kscmove-1.1.zip (2014-05-17) (Source included, license: CC-BY-SA as per RSS)

Download kscmove-1.0.zip (2014-04-14)

Edit: Also please do let me know if somebody already did a plugin like this. Thanks.

Edit: This "Launch Azimuth" article from Orbiter Wiki might be helpful when planning your new inclined orbits.

Edited by voneiden

Did you use a bit of the system in RSS that allows changing location? Just asking because all those license and credit stuff. But I guess NK will welcome this anyway :D When we are speaking licenses , you may want to add a license too..
Hi voneiden,

I am aware that you have included a licence in your source code (thanks for doing this) but it is also required to mention it in your post.

Yep the license (and credits) are in the source file which I've now included into the zip so that the whole package comes with the license. License also added in the main post above as per forum rules. Sorry, it's been a while since I've released any plugins.

Hey, cool!

You might want to retain independent settings for the PQSCity and the MapDecalTangent; at times it's easier to place KSC directly on the terrain without also placing the MapDecalTangent under it. And/or you probably need to either automatically or manually figure out the radial offset (i.e. altitude above sea level) for both, probably independently.

Might also be worth looking at how KerbTown does things, since I'd hazard a guess it's better than how I do. :)

Hey, cool!

You might want to retain independent settings for the PQSCity and the MapDecalTangent; at times it's easier to place KSC directly on the terrain without also placing the MapDecalTangent under it. And/or you probably need to either automatically or manually figure out the radial offset (i.e. altitude above sea level) for both, probably independently.

Might also be worth looking at how KerbTown does things, since I'd hazard a guess it's better than how I do. :)

Thanks for your work Nathan (and of course everyone who's contributed to RSS)! I tried to utilize KerbTown some months back to achieve the same thing but couldn't get things quite working.

I might add some features if there's demand but generally this is just a little quick and dirty hack to make the stock game a bit more challenging. Now all we need is some proper ground tracks. My ground track rendering projects have been stalled for who knows how long, so I hope Rich succeeds with his NASA Mission Control Software project.. that would be such a blast!

this looks totally cool, and just gave me a crazy idea. how hard would it be to make this plugin allow you to place the KSC anywhere? Eve would make a good KSP: Challenge Mode

Edited by antgeth
i can english goodly

I've not yet had the chance to look at how you're doing this (or how RSS is doing it for that matter), but do you think it would be possible to clone individual parts of KSC and place them anywhere? Or do you move all of KSC in one lump?

I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a simple way to drop runways at certain places on the map without going to the full extent of say, KerbTown, etc., which add new models and whatnot.

Ah, nevermind. I see what you're doing now.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

this looks totally cool, and just gave me a crazy idea. how hard would it be to make this plugin allow you to place the KSC anywhere? Eve would make a good KSP: Challenge Mode

But then it would be easy to takeoff from Eve cause you can build an entire rocket on the surface :P

KSC on Eve would be interesting. Getting to orbit would I believe be even more difficult than on RSS Kerbin/Earth, but once you're up there, it's less halfway to anywhere and more 80% of the way to anywhere. I reckon it would encourage re-use of craft and building an orbital infrastructure.

Of course, there's always interplanetary launchpads or whatever the mod is. Stick one on Eve, hack a ton of resources, and off you go I assume.

If you want Ultra-Hardcore mode, put KSC on Jupiter in RSS.

stuff

Thanks!

That might be because Kerbtown wasn't working, some months ago. HoneyFox has it updated and working now. :)

The reason I mention the other things to add is because it is very possible that moving KSC will fail (KSC will be angled, below ground, otherwise broken) unless you allow changing the other things too. If you're finding it's not, then woohoo; just giving warning. :)

Yeah, that Mission Control thing looks awesome!

Nice plugin, but I seem to be having problems with the runway clipping into the ground. No amount of height adjustment seems to help. In fact, the height setting seems to do pretty much nothing.

ByXSLAa.png

That said, I LOVE the change of scenery made possible with this.

St4VAs0.png

Edited by Bloodbunny

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.