Better Atmospheres Development Thread

Sure thing - just remember that with Laythe being so far from the Sun and covered in thick cloud layer it should be really, really dark down there. Like Eve dark :)

One more thing - you should take a look at this site dedicated to Titan for inspiration, it's really worth it: https://titansaturnsmoon.wordpress.com/

Edited by czokletmuss

It's so pretty! :D

One question: how can I reduce/eliminate the tiling effects?

f7giORL.png

I remember there was a fix in the EVE thread about setting scale to 15 somewhere I think, but that didn't appear to have any effect. And unless I'm doing something silly, I can't have the duna dust storms AND BA at once, it's an either/or kind thing.. help?

Anyway, for Laythe, I don't think I'd like it to have a different colour like orange or whatever.. I mean, it is basically a Kerbin clone, just slightly different. Would like something like this

Y6tdLJp.png

But with more clouds, I think. Lack posted a really nice one in the EVE thread, but I can't find it now.

As for Eeloo, I wouldn't mind it having a slightly thin atmosphere. Just a pale blue one, I think.. very thin.

Probably gonna head to bed soon, and since 90% of my responses come from 5AM - 12PM GMT-5, I'll go ahead and ask these now.

Laythe - Would you guys like to see a titan-esque Laythe? With a cloud layer almost completely covering the planet[land could still be seen, so you won't need scansat to land on laythe], once you pass that layer it will be very hazy, and a visible blue horizon from orbit? I'm still thinking of what color the layer should be, so if you guys are down with this idea, I would like if you suggested a color.(I dunno about orange, because titan is already orange and that would seem a tiny bit un-original, but if you guys would be okay with orange that could work very well)

Ike - I really don't know about Ike, should it reflect sunlight like the Mun does? While the game or the wiki doesn't seem to say if Ike and the Mun are made of the same materials, they look like they share the same materials. Either that or my eyes need serious fixing. Maybe lighter reflection, maybe more noticeable reflection, maybe none at all, whichever, I would like your opinion on it.

Eeloo/Vall - So I've been reading up, and both Pluto and Europa have a thin atmospheres. Being that Vall is an analogue for Europa, and Eeloo being an analogue for Pluto, should either Vall or Eeloo get an atmosphere, or should they both? Or would you rather no changes to them? Any thoughts on this?

If you have any ideas for other planets, do tell. I'm all up for new ideas. I plan V4 will be the full-ish release of it, getting its own add-on releases thread. It will still be worked on, and you can suggest ideas on the dev page, but it will mostly be done until new editing tools arise for me to mess around even more. v4 should hopefully have atmospheres on the ground changed, so give some ideas for that if you can.

In the meantime, enjoy V3 and give some good feedback about what's already there :)

Laythe - Aquamarine, if anything. If the planet has water oceans and land, it needs to be in the blue family. Titan is likely made of Methane seas, which is an entirely different composition, which explains the different color more easily.

Ike - Lighter reflection. Even if the materials shouldn't be reflective, I think that it's a nice effect.

Eeloo/Vall - Eeloo doesn't have an atmosphere programmed, so unless that changes, I don't think one should be visually shown. Same with Vall.

Well water shouldn't be liquid on laythe which supposes that there is another element in the seas of laythe. Maybe an ionic compound. Anyways I always thought that laythe should be more hostile. So having a cloudier atmosphere would be very nice. No matter what color it is going be

I could see Vall having a thin whitish atmosphere thanks to cryovolcanic water vapor eruptions caused by tidal forces, kinda like Enceladus and Europa do. But I'm not sure I want Laythe to change too much- I don't really want to change appearances entirely, just enhance them. I think it's okay as is.

galaxy did encounter a error BA caused but havent been able to repedat it. i landded on some grassland right before some highlands and it started spaming a error when i catch it again ill post it. i think it might be due to the z fighting at the surface thou

Alright you guys, thanks for all the feedback on the ideas. Laythe will be getting a Titan-esque makeover, Aquamarine style. Ike will be getting a very slight glow, and Eeloo/Vall will be getting very thin atmospheres. Thanks so much, was kinda struck for ideas :P

Now I have 3 extra planets to work on, and a make over for Laythe!

Thanks for the site about Titan, czokletmuss. Will help a lot when trying to get good pics of Titan :)

As for the tiling effect, I'll look in the settings and see if there's anything I can change to make it look a bit less tiled. For the dust storm problem, can you maybe PM me a pic of your cloud folder?

My Duna atmosphere became a solid blue with no gradient when I dipped below 21000M. There a fix to that?

Was there any specific spot you landed on? Day side, night side, Sunrise, sunset? I just tried replicating it, and I got nothing wrong.

Hi all^^

im using right now cloud improvment mod with city lights..if install this mod i think i must deinstall the other mod right ??

No, infact you need eve to use this mod. Be sure you have TR too.

Oh btw guys, working on laythe as we type. How is this looking so far?

ULUwZsy.png I tested flying a ship through and the clouds go all the way to the ground. I'll probably wanna change that, or would you guys like clouds the whole way down? Or maybe the stop at about 2,000M, or higher.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Was there any specific spot you landed on? Day side, night side, Sunrise, sunset? I just tried replicating it, and I got nothing wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/ULUwZsy.png I tested flying a ship through and the clouds go all the way to the ground. I'll probably wanna change that, or would you guys like clouds the whole way down? Or maybe the stop at about 2,000M, or higher.

That looks nice :D

I tested flying a ship through and the clouds go all the way to the ground. I'll probably wanna change that, or would you guys like clouds the whole way down? Or maybe the stop at about 2,000M, or higher.

I'd say a few whispy high-altitude clouds, could probably just re-use the kerbin cloud map with a lowered alpha. I'm going to have a play around on mine with a slightly greener tinge.

For clouds, I'm a fan of some thiner ones further up, and then for the main set, a bit of layering and the odd-gap rather than just one thick layer down.

http://i.imgur.com/ULUwZsy.png I tested flying a ship through and the clouds go all the way to the ground. I'll probably wanna change that, or would you guys like clouds the whole way down? Or maybe the stop at about 2,000M, or higher.

I tried to upload a picture of what i am experiencing on all planets (Kerbin and Mun tested). As soon as I get to the edge of that atmosphere layer, it gives me a solid eggshell at the height of that layer. I tested this by hitting ALT+N and raising the Mun's 2nd layer from 7000 to 12000 and sure enough the eggshell/bubble increased.

I tried to upload a picture of what i am experiencing on all planets (Kerbin and Mun tested). As soon as I get to the edge of that atmosphere layer, it gives me a solid eggshell at the height of that layer. I tested this by hitting ALT+N and raising the Mun's 2nd layer from 7000 to 12000 and sure enough the eggshell/bubble increased.

What are the fadedist. at? They should be at 100.

This is amazing. While I have some personal niggles/different preferences (and will adjust the configs accordingly), this is a great pack.

Can you confirm that your Jool doesn't have a great big copypasted-direct-from-Jupiter Green Spot? (At work atm, can't download to check for myself.)

This is amazing. While I have some personal niggles/different preferences (and will adjust the configs accordingly), this is a great pack.

Can you confirm that your Jool doesn't have a great big copypasted-direct-from-Jupiter Green Spot? (At work atm, can't download to check for myself.)

One of the cloud layers has a copy pasted great spot, but can be removed. The layer pretty much only adds that anyway :P

I fixed it...

KSP was only getting 3 million ram cap for me... I just needed to add a launch option so it could use more ram....

I set the cap to six million kb... but I would advise not to do so if you have only 8gb of ram on your pc. I have 16 .... so it wasn't enough.

For laythe, I would like some wispy clouds at around 15km, and some blueish haze around 10km, but you should still be able to see the ground. Furthermore, at around 2km, some dark storm clouds would be amazing.

For haze, use a color like #2277AA (0.13, 0.47, 0.6)

Thanks

Edited by Spica

im getting this error not sure if from BA ill check after i restart

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:get_transform ()

at ModelMultiParticlePersistFX.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0