Include a 'Switch To' button in flight

"[, [, [, [, [, [, [, [, there we go!" gets a bit annoying.

This is what I had in mind, the Unset Target bit (probably quicker to double click anyway) isn't really necessary but hey ho, I'm not THAT good at photoshop:

lIeNKyW.jpg

(If you're wondering about what happened, I'd refuelled the lab with RCS propelled drone and once I was done, I had a bit of fuel left over and my lifter stage left close by and well.. let's just say space explosions are pretty :))

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP
Might help if I press the right key...

Yeah, from map view. I'm talking about doing it from flight view (staging/docking mode). If a calamity occurs as above or you simply have many different vessels within loading range, I find it can get frustrating to have to cycle through all of them before I get to the one I want to control, then trying to figure out if I'm cycling the right way when I want to switch back. Map view is of little use because the relevant vessels are close together and selecting the right one is next to impossible.

I don't understand what you're suggesting. You can already do this from map view, during flight.

you (sometimes) can't do this if your craft are close together. i think you need a separation >10km before the map view can discern both craft.

you (sometimes) can't do this if your craft are close together. i think you need a separation >10km before the map view can discern both craft.

Maybe by clicking. But if you filter out the stuff it's not, it will probably show up on the left side as well. I don't know, just feels unnecessary.

Maybe by clicking. But if you filter out the stuff it's not, it will probably show up on the left side as well. I don't know, just feels unnecessary.

This does not work with two craft of the same type.

I have asked for months now for a drop down menu to select the thing you are trying to click on. In the map for example when you have two craft of the same type 3km from each other, you can`t use ][ and you can`t use the map.

With a drop down menu, you click on the multiple objects, get a list of craft, select the one you want, get a list of actions, select the action. BAM. done.

Currently you try to find the exact pixel that will select a craft on a moving map using an old mouse possibly with hand troubles or lack of motor skills if you are less abled. Impossible.

Forcing the user to actually click on a pixel of the craft you are trying to select is very amateur and limits `people who can play` to `people who are not disabled`. To disabled people it is very necessary.

I was told the other day that it is society that disables people by making itself only able to be used by people of a certain ability...

I agree with the OP that we need more methods of selecting craft that are not based on `next, last but only within 2.5km` or `click on the exact pixel`

I agree that this should be added. Cycling through stuff is bad in space if you have lots of debris, but it's worse in atmosphere if you want to switch to some part to see what went wrong before it disappears, for example. Also I often get stuck in a cycle where I can only switch between clamps from some launch long ago (they should be auto-recovered, btw).

How about that the cycling will be performed exluding the debris? Only ships with controlable pods should be able to be switched by '[' and ']'.

I second this idea, and maybe make a drop down menu of crafts with command modules or automated modules (like "Stayputnik"). Perhaps, if you really wanted to, you could make a separate one for the debris, although I believe this would have little use outside of providing a different view while docking with an un-commanded structure, like docking with a fuel tank or building a station.

However, there is a mod providing similar functionality (at least I think it does) called "Haystack": http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/haystack2/

Edited by neamerjell

I don't think a drop-down menu is a good idea in this context, you may need to do it fast and with a drop-down menu flying all around the screen together with the ship it may get pretty hard to select the right option.

First, it should be possible to select a ship as a target by clicking or double-clicking on it. Currently it is possible if you manage to click on its root part or docking port which is not exactly comfortable, extending it to clicking on any part should not be that hard.

And second, the ']' key could switch to the target ship if it is within range and only switch to 'next ship' if no target is selected or it is out of range. Or we could get a new, separate key to switch to target which could both do the switch and set tartet to the original ship.

Edited by Kasuha

There is still the situation of two or more craft of the same type being 3-10km from your ship. double clicking will not select the ship you want and you are unlikely to select it in the map.

Only some method of selecting the group and then selecting a member of that group will be effective in this situation.

Whichever the implementation method, a way to choose from a member of a group (when double clicking fails and the individuals are not able to be clicked upon) and then actions performed on that selection is needed in the object selection method of KSP.

This could also speed up selecting docking ports on craft within 250m. The craft is then the group and the docking port is a member. or group-craft-port

Also to have the menu`fly around the screen` makes no sense. I don`t agree with the current system of menu boxes being attached to the craft they apply to. It should be static to enable quick and easy selection and while it `should` be possible to select any craft or port with doubleclicking, in reality it fails very very often. I find the doubleclick system causes more problems in time sensitive situations than it solves.

For many people one issue is selecting the target in the first place. On a ship over 200m away it is really hard to select a port. If there were a menu for that which also had `switch to` on it exactly like the implementation in the map then most people would be able to use that system without being taught it. Having [] switch to your target only helps if you can select your target in the first place.

Adding another key would mean many people would not even know the feature existed and that`s not good.

I`ve long wanted a list of options when clicking or doubleclicking which has a few actions that could be chosen from. The menus would be intuitive and drill down to your required result so they would be more powerful than the current system meaning quicker or the same speed in most situations.

For example to switch to a craft in a close bunch and then select a docking port on a craft that is in another close bunch (maybe they just undocked and there are 8 craft in such a close space you cannot select one by doubleclicking)

currently you either ][ a lot and hope to see your craft in the 16 craft you have to choose from (although they may be the same craft but with different names) or doubleclick and hope the pixel under your mouse pointer is the craft you want although the chances of this are getting under 15% at this point.

I propose a method of click, select (object) craft from group, select (function) target, select (object) port on craft. Four clicks and you have targeted a particular port on a particular craft inside a group of craft so closely bunched you couldn`t select an individual craft. That`s fast.

or click, select member of group, select `switch to`

or in the case of one craft, click, select port

or click, select `switch to`

for craft over 250m it`s click, select target or click, switch to.

The initial click could be `fuzzy` and catch anything within a set amount of pixels which would help reduce `obstacles to playing` for the disabled as a nice side benefit.

I like the suggestion of the OP and feel it could be part of a larger overhaul of the selection method which will benefit many players who are currently frustrated with it. Doubleclicking has failed to be functional or discerning enough. It also makes no sense to have many methods, there should be a single method that can be applied to all scenes (map, flight etc) and all distances (250m,2.5km, everything else) which would be intuitive, powerful, and fast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.