Abilities to make parts

What if you unlocked all the tech tree and still have science left and you are wondering what you could use that science for?

There should be a PCF or Part Creation Facility where you can create parts and and you can spend your science to add it in the VAB.(Or experiment with parts in sandbox!)

And if you add it to the VAB, then your save folder will have the part directory.

Example:

KSP\saves\parts\test\test.cfg

So please comment for questions.

Stay Cool!:cool:

A first step to this idea could be the part welding as some people already do (like DoPtOoT). You can choose part category, choose the "root", add another part to it, ...

Example: take a big nose cone, merge a quad coupler on its bottom, add 4 engines, resize it (by common part size step: from 2.5m to 1.25 or 0.625 for example), name it, voilà, you got a new quad engines :).

Such feature can use existing code from SPH/VAB, the resize is also possible (goodspeed's mod use a plug-in to create multiple sizes from one part), welding already exists.

why would a part creation be hard to implement ... there are already a few mods that do exactly that i suggested this ages ago with engines and the devs said it couldnt be done 3 months later someone made a mod that done exactly what they said couldnt be done that done it with wings and soon after engines and fuel tanks

as i suggested then it would be great if you had 1 engine part and adjusted its bell to change its attributes eg size length diameter of bottom fuel type and max fuel flow and how many bells it has and the ability to save an engine setup that way only a txt document is saved for a part and the game just creates it all when it needs to display it

some of this has already been done in basic form with mods im sure it wouldnt be to hard for the devs to do and the memory saving it would do is crazy as that means only 1 part that is procedural that the game makes on the fly as it loads the craft in using the parameters you set for it rather than 10 dif engine models cloging up the limited ram ksp has at its disposal atm for windows users

not to mention then your creations would def be unique as it would be hard to copy with just eyeballing a ship design ... would def be something to add to the nasa i mean if they going that route why not be full nasa like u even make your own motors

i think the hardest part of implementing something like this is the tutorials and all those people saying oooh noo i have to use my brain and learn something im not use to .. what ever will i do ... guess i will complain and say it will be hard for me to learn this like we get on all the aerodynamic suggestion posts

The issue with engines is that unless you want them to all look basically identical, the game would have to, on the fly, generate new texture mappings for them, and, as with your suggestion for multiple nozzles, etc, this could be extremely difficult, intensive, or at least, bloaty. It works with wings because all the wings are effectively the same, just re-sized and shaped. Similarly with fuel tanks, it's the same tank but stretched. With engines as different as you're suggesting, it is certainly non-trivial.

I thought this was a good idea because people can make use science when they max out the default tech tree and that means more fun!

And people don't feel discouraged from discovering more stuff because if you want to land on eve and return in career mode, you probably have to max out the tech tree and landing on eve and returning won't make a big difference!

Stay cool!:cool:

The issue with engines is that unless you want them to all look basically identical, the game would have to, on the fly, generate new texture mappings for them, and, as with your suggestion for multiple nozzles, etc, this could be extremely difficult, intensive, or at least, bloaty. It works with wings because all the wings are effectively the same, just re-sized and shaped. Similarly with fuel tanks, it's the same tank but stretched. With engines as different as you're suggesting, it is certainly non-trivial.

I know its complicated to add but I'm sure they could add it!

I thought this was a good idea because people can make use science when they max out the default tech tree and that means more fun!

And people don't feel discouraged from discovering more stuff because if you want to land on eve and return in career mode, you probably have to max out the tech tree and landing on eve and returning won't make a big difference!

The devs have already said that they plan on you being able to exchange one resource for another. Sure you might not get any science from it, but you'll probably get a heck of a lot of reputation or money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.