[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

So here's a fun one. I was on the Mun, doing my thing, getting research, piloting my lander from IVA... and suddenly I was alerted to EVA science! I clicked on EVA science, and...

... I got out of the lander in first person view...

Well, mine didn't crash but the camera was incorrect (switched to the right mode by pressing c). It's fixed in the next version, which I'll release tomorrow or so to give a chance for any other bugs that appear to be reported

Does this have the ability to do/transmit science from IVA? Activating science modules is literally the one thing currently stopping me from doing 100% IVA missions.

Yes, clicking the button in the dropdown list will activate a relevant (unused) experiment. You get the chance to transmit it on the experiment results screen afterwards, but it otherwise doesn't transmit.

I'm having an odd bug - probably a mod-compatability thing, as I run many mods, so full spec below.

The very first time I go aboard a vessel (either on the launch pad, on the runway, or a vessel already in flight), the ScienceAlert does not show up in Blizzy's Toolbar. It will not appear in the Toolbar for as long as I remain on that vessel. If I use the Blizzy's Toolbar "Configure Visible Buttons", Science Alert shows the word 'Science Alert' where it would normally show an icon.

If I go back to Space Center, and either launch or join any vessel (even the same vessel), the ScienceAlert shows up in the Toolbar, from that point on, and appears normally in "Configure Visible Buttons".

Spec:
Mac OS X 10.7
KSP 0.23.5
ModuleManager 2.0.1

Science Alert 1.4
Blizzy's Toolbar 1.7.1
Kerbal Alarm Clock
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Ferram Aerospace Research
Chatterer

Deadly Reentry
Distant Object Enhancement
Goodspeed Fuel Pump
Procedural Fairings
Procedural Parts
Procedural Wings
RealChute
RemoteTech2

AviationLights
RcsSounds
SamHall's Mk2 Cockpit
TrimIndicator
TreeLoader

All mods updated with 0.23.5 releases if possible; all but yours on the most recent release; I haven't picked up 1.4a yet.

Hope I'm not sending you after another wild goose chase -- its late tonight but I'll try Science Alert 1.4a in my "clean install" in the morning to rule out mod incompatibility, and get you a debug log from a reproducible case of it.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce your error, despite adding all of your mods to my test install. 1.4a won't fix your issue, it's a tiny camera fix primarily.

I'd be interested in your output_log.txt and what the results of your mod incompatibility test are.

If I use the Blizzy's Toolbar "Configure Visible Buttons", Science Alert shows the word 'Science Alert' where it would normally show an icon.

I think that is because the toolbar button does not get assigned an icon when it is created by the plugin. Rather, it gets assigned some text.

Mod compatibility test: works just fine with the toolbar/FAR/KER/Alarm Clock configuration that I was using during your dev thread, xEvilReeperx, and the "Kerbal 2" stock craft.

Must find the offending mod and squash it - if it wasn't in that list it isn't as important as Science Alert .. which should tell you how essential I find this.:cool:

Different topic - feature suggestion:

"Minimum science value to alert me" - basically, an override to prevent very small values from appearing. For example, with the 90% or 'All' settings, I could use a value like "1.0" to prevent a low-value experiment from alerting me every time I change biomes while hunting for more fruitful biomes.

I notice this most in an early-career, low tech "explore Kerbin to unlock tech" style game.

Must find the offending mod and squash it - if it wasn't in that list it isn't as important as Science Alert .. which should tell you how essential I find this.:cool:

:) Nonetheless, if you can figure which mod(s) causes it I'd like to know so I can fix whatever issue might be popping up if I can for the sake of being as compatible as possible.

I think that is because the toolbar button does not get assigned an icon when it is created by the plugin. Rather, it gets assigned some text.

That's true and is done as a fallback in case my embedded texture slicing fails. It sounds like that's the case so it's surprising that it works on a subsequent load. If it didn't, I'd assume there might be some kind of hardware problem going on. There still might be, but knowing which mod to look at would make it very easy to tell

Different topic - feature suggestion:

"Minimum science value to alert me" - basically, an override to prevent very small values from appearing.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

I just wanted to say thanks for such an awesome plugin! It's so helpful I can't even think of words to describe it. This is now in my list of must-have mods. Once again, thanks for the work that you've put into this!

So, xEvilReeperx, I've tracked down the issue -- it appears to be from my own personal modifications, not any offical mod. What I had was a series of ModuleManager configs:

!EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[crewReport]
EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION {
id=crewReport

There was nothing obvious in the KSP.log, except that when it got to "flight mode", after instantiating physics, there were a whole series of references to a null object.

Changing that over to:

!EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[crewReport]:BEFORE[ScienceAlert]
EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:BEFORE[ScienceAlert] {
id=crewReport

fixed the issue.

I'm not precisely sure how you'd handle "somebody deleted the experiment definition node out from under me", or even if you would want to - but there you have it.

So, xEvilReeperx, I've tracked down the issue -- it appears to be from my own personal modifications, not any offical mod. What I had was a series of ModuleManager configs:

[snip]

I'm not precisely sure how you'd handle "somebody deleted the experiment definition node out from under me", or even if you would want to - but there you have it.

Thanks for getting back to me. This actually looks like a ModuleManager bug. I tested it with both MM 1.5.6 and 2.0.3. Apparently, the !EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION line isn't removing the previous definition which causes an exception inside ksp on a critical function ScienceAlert uses. I'm glad you found a workaround

In other news, 1.5 is now released :)

It'd be useful to have different thresholds for things that are 100% transmitable and things that aren't. So you could say 'tell me if there's anything at all left if I can transmit it, otherwise only tell me if > X left'

Y'know the one thing that would make this perfect? RasterPropMonitor support! Right now, running Science is basically the only thing that makes me need to bring the game UI up. It would be so great to be able to get science alerts and run experiments directly from within IVA.

It'd be useful to have different thresholds for things that are 100% transmitable and things that aren't. So you could say 'tell me if there's anything at all left if I can transmit it, otherwise only tell me if > X left'

Better yet, a slider allowing us to set our own alert threshold -- I for one prefer to suck a biome absolutely dry, but in time-crunch situations where I need to get a launch out on time (for the ARM, or to upgrade a station before life support runs out, etc.) I can imagine wanting to only keep track of the big-bite science missions.

Y'know the one thing that would make this perfect? RasterPropMonitor support! Right now, running Science is basically the only thing that makes me need to bring the game UI up. It would be so great to be able to get science alerts and run experiments directly from within IVA.

^^This. Please, my fair fellow kerbonaut, take some rep.

I don't use IVA view much, but I'll look into this when I've got some time.

Better yet, a slider allowing us to set our own alert threshold -- I for one prefer to suck a biome absolutely dry, but in time-crunch situations where I need to get a launch out on time (for the ARM, or to upgrade a station before life support runs out, etc.) I can imagine wanting to only keep track of the big-bite science missions.

Can you give me more detail on this? I thought the new feature would take care of that (you can set any numeric threshold you want).

I'll have to delay my reply to this, since I am just now downloading your latest version and spelunking my way into a new career save (I got blasted by the "docking port won't undock" bug and I got tired of savefile editing when I'd made so many other poor choices to get there anyway.)

So I'll provide some feedback after a few missions! :D (I anticipate that this mod is more useful once knee-deep into the tech tree anyway, which I hadn't even gotten to in my broken savefile.)

Yay! Feature request made good! & thanks for looking into my obscure bug.

Another feature request/idea: can you indicate the name of the current biome in the drop-down? E.g., rather than "Available Reports", maybe "Mun : Farside Crater : Low Orbit" (Not sure it will fit, actually.)

Very odd observation: if I have a maneuver node planned, when I open a science report through Science Alert, the size of the maneuver node "delta-V" display (next to the NavBall) changes. Not even sure I'd call it a bug .. just caught my eye late last night.

i don't see any icon in the 1.5 release, is that the reason i cannot find it in toolbar's "Configure Visible Buttons"?

EDIT: Never mind I just updated the latest version of Toolbar plugin and it's OK.

Edited by HoneyFox