[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

xEvilReeperx said:
This sounds serious. The next time this happens, can you open your ingame log (Alt+F2) and see if there's anything being spammed there? A NullReferenceException in particular. If there is, I'd appreciate it if you could upload your output_log.txt somewhere so I can have a look

Sorry for taking so long to reply back on this. I had the issue happen multiple times. I caught one on video in my most recent upload, Joolpollo 9. The corresponding log is at [defunct site link removed by moderator]

5thHorseman said:
Sorry for taking so long to reply back on this. I had the issue happen multiple times. I caught one on video in my most recent upload, Joolpollo 9. The corresponding log is at [defunct site link removed by moderator]

I was expecting to see some NRE spam in there. Just based on that log (although Blizzy's right, this log is missing the juicy stack traces) everything seems fine. It does narrow down the possibilities considerably however.

I did notice one oddity that is probably unrelated but kind of concerning anyway:

[LOG 15:21:20.409] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Tylpollo ----------------------
[LOG 15:21:20.410] setting new dominant body: Jool
FlightGlobals.mainBody: Jool
[LOG 15:21:20.411] ScienceAlert, BiomeFilter.OnDominantBodyChanged from Jool (CelestialBody) to Jool (CelestialBody)
[LOG 15:21:20.412] ScienceAlert, BiomeFilter.OnDominantBodyChanged from Jool (CelestialBody) to Jool (CelestialBody)
[LOG 15:21:20.413] ScienceAlert, BiomeFilter.OnDominantBodyChanged from Jool (CelestialBody) to Jool (CelestialBody)
[LOG 15:21:20.414] ScienceAlert, BiomeFilter.OnDominantBodyChanged from Jool (CelestialBody) to Jool (CelestialBody)
[LOG 15:21:20.500] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'radialDecoupler_4293155086'
[LOG 15:21:20.535] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'radialDecoupler_4293154652'
[LOG 15:21:20.567] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'radialDecoupler_4293154280'
[LOG 15:21:20.601] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'radialDecoupler_4293153846'
[LOG 15:21:20.663] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'radialDecoupler_4293152838'
[LOG 15:21:20.678] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'radialDecoupler_4293152672'
[LOG 15:21:20.754] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'liquidEngine_4293152218'
[LOG 15:21:20.780] PartHighlighter: Added highlight script to part 'liquidEngine_4293151962'
[LOG 15:21:20.407] Target vessel index: 66  vessel count: 71

Any chance you're running a custom version of PartHighlighter? It shouldn't be running at all in flight mode

Sorry it's not output_log.txt. It's ksp.log. I didn't even know there was an output_log.txt :/

Sadly this was like a week ago and it seems to reset every time I run :/

I'm almost sure raxo2222 is right, though. Going EVA seems frequently to be the problem. I will hopefully have time after the holiday to play around on the launchpad in a new save to get a good log.

Any chance you're running a custom version of PartHighlighter? It shouldn't be running at all in flight mode

I didn't know it wasn't supposed to. I have an outdated version (For 0.22 instead of the new one for 23.5) but as far as I remember it has always done that. I do recall noticing it fairly quickly and being happy that it also worked in flight.

What's in my PartHighlighter directory matches what's in the zip I downloaded oh so long ago.

EDIT: I took a few spare minutes and tried it on the launch pad, and of COURSE it didn't happen. This will have to wait until I get to Tylo probably, hopefully on Sunday or Monday. :(

Edited by 5thHorseman

Okay it happened again. I had not gotten any Tylo orbital science on this particular ship. The alerter told me I had lots of it to do. I did all of them except EVA report, Jr, and Goo (Jr and Goo were being saved for the surface). I then clicked EVA, and when my guy went EVA the alerter did not alert me there was more science to do. I did a manual EVA report, landed, and there was still no science alerting. I F5 to saved, then F9 to load, and the alerter again worked.

Here are two logs, one for right after the problem occurred, (he was still on EVA I believe, but I may have manually done the eva report) and one after landing (actually after a game crash due to the Hell Kraken)

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

Great! That narrows down the problem immensely. Something is going wrong with the biome map construction and the observer update loop gets stuck because of it. I've already ironed out two logic fails that would prevent reports from showing up if just the right conditions occurred thanks to the exception info provided by your logs.

So...this is kinda like science library, minus the library? Is there an option to "do all the science!"? Cause science library has this feature, and I see no reason to use this mod with science library unless this mod also has that feature, the alerts are nice but I don't think I will swith or use both unless it does indeed have it. Maybe if it doesn't you could consider it?

It's a balance issue. I wouldn't mind a "do all the science" button but don't feel it's necessary. I don't personally want a library either. I just want to not have to get out in EVA every 10 seconds while orbiting Mun to see if I'm in a new biome, and I don't want to have to right click 5-10 different things and say "run experiment" every time either.

This one just makes a bloop noise, I click 5-10 buttons that are all stationary and always in exactly the same place on the screen, and then I'm done.

Except of course getting out and actually grabbing all the experiments, but that's a different (and annoying) problem that I'd much rather have a fix for than some sort of listing of what percentages I have of every experiment in every biome.

Oh wait. Sorry. I didn't see the screenshots on the first page. That's kinda what I meant by a "do all the science button" just buttons to launch the available expirements. I used the wrong phrase. Sorry. :blush:

Science library is useful though for knowing what expirements to take with you, and telling you which biomes you still need. Paired with SCANsat it's invaluable. adding this into the mix will be even better, so I won't warp past a biome at low orbit. I'll give it a try!

Science library is useful though for knowing what expirements to take with you, and telling you which biomes you still need. Paired with SCANsat it's invaluable. adding this into the mix will be even better, so I won't warp past a biome at low orbit. I'll give it a try!

Having some means of figuring out which science you still need did get requested a few times. I decided not to incorporate it into ScienceAlert because I was working on another mod, BiomeOverlay, that would be more useful for that. I was in the middle of coming up with a more intuitive interface for it when Stuffâ„¢ happened and my free time suffered. It's still in the pipeline though.

Having some means of figuring out which science you still need did get requested a few times. I decided not to incorporate it into ScienceAlert because I was working on another mod, BiomeOverlay, that would be more useful for that. I was in the middle of coming up with a more intuitive interface for it when Stuffâ„¢ happened and my free time suffered. It's still in the pipeline though.

Hmmm. Well I'm looking forward to when it comes out!

Although I do still like science library paired with SCANsat, maybe ill make another save to use this mod and the other one with.

I've been getting a lot of KeyNotFoundExceptions at times. It hasn't crashed my game, but lags it to hell and back. The following is the part of the output_log.txt that corresponds to these exceptions.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[IScienceDataTransmitter,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ScienceData]].get_Item (IScienceDataTransmitter key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.MagicDataTransmitter.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[IScienceDataTransmitter,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ScienceData]].get_Item (IScienceDataTransmitter key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.MagicDataTransmitter.get_QueuedData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.StorageCache.FindStoredData (System.String subjectid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.ExperimentObserver.GetScienceTotal (.ScienceSubject subject, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.ExperimentObserver.UpdateStatus (ExperimentSituations experimentSituation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.ScienceAlert+<UpdateObservers>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScienceAlert.ScienceAlert.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I've been getting a lot of KeyNotFoundExceptions at times. It hasn't crashed my game, but lags it to hell and back.

I believe I found this bug (and a few others) and squashed it in the next release. Is there any circumstance you can reliably get it to occur? Or during a particular situation (a rapid unplanned disassembly during my own game was when I noticed it)?

I believe I found this bug (and a few others) and squashed it in the next release. Is there any circumstance you can reliably get it to occur? Or during a particular situation (a rapid unplanned disassembly during my own game was when I noticed it)?

It tends to pop up when I have Mechjeb auto warping to a maneuver and Science Alert cancels the warp cuz there's science to be done, only to have Mechjeb start autowarping again. This battle of starting and stopping warp between the 2 mods seem to make it happen most for me (but not every time). But it does happen randomly at other times too (but very rarely).

1.6 is now out, with optional SCANsat support! Let me know if anything breaks.

I'm downloading this anyway, but will this fix the problem where I stop getting alerted once I've gone EVA?

I assume "ScienceAlert should no longer stop reporting science in some circumstances while switching vessels" this is it? Going EVA is kind of like switching vessels...

I'm downloading this anyway, but will this fix the problem where I stop getting alerted once I've gone EVA?

Yes, I hope so. I was never able to reproduce it myself though so I can't be certain. If it stops reporting again at any point, let me know

Neither this plugin nor ScienceLibrary really is to my taste. With sciencelibrary, i can during flight *monitor* currently available experiments, but the window uses up a lot of space and thus gets in the way. With sciencealert instead, everything is nicely small and tidy, but i have no way to efficiently monitory available experiments - thats because it only tells me IF ANY experiment is available, and nothing more... to get more info, i have to press a button, and once i go do something else, the information disappears. So, it does what its name says: it "alerts" you if "science" is available... but doesn't let you monitor.

but i have no way to efficiently monitory available experiments - thats because it only tells me IF ANY experiment is available, and nothing more... to get more info, i have to press a button, and once i go do something else, the information disappears. So, it does what its name says: it "alerts" you if "science" is available... but doesn't let you monitor.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. As you've discovered, showing the current state of every experiment takes up a lot of real estate. If you have a vision of what you'd like to see, I'd gladly consider it. Thanks for checking out the mod

Hi, thanks for your feedback. As you've discovered, showing the current state of every experiment takes up a lot of real estate. If you have a vision of what you'd like to see, I'd gladly consider it. Thanks for checking out the mod

Well, first of course there is the question if a given experiment even interests oneself - sciencealert already implements filters for those, and i like them - especially the minimum science requirement.

The other reasons why displaying available experiments takes up a lot of space in sciencelib:

- It displays the name, earned points, remaining points, remaining percentage and i think something else - for each experiment

- The padding in the columns is quite excessive

- It not only displays available experiments, but also experiments already onboard

All of this adds up to a lot of space, especially horizontally. Most of the time, to decide if i should execute an experiment, i really am only interested in the kind of experiment (type), and how many points it would earn me. This doesn't even justify a table... its just two kinds of data after all. So, IMO sciencealert has already taken the efficient approach, and simply use one button per experiment, nothing else. The label of the button could simply be the experiment name, plus in braces the science points it would yield.

So, my "vision" actually isn't too different to what sciencealert already does. There are just three tweaks i'd make:

1. Reduce the fontsize/buttonsize slightly

2. Show the number of science points on the buttons

3. Offer a way to keep the buttons visible, and to place the button container somewhere on the screen (not sure if that is already possible - didn't try doing that earlier today).

So, its basically just some aesthetic tweaks, plus an option to keep the buttons visible and update them.

EDIT: Another way to keep experiment spam in check, might be to allow setting a maximum amount of experiments to show, and ordering them by science points.

Edited by rynak