[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Minor request: Could we get "EVA Report" at the very top of the list? That way, I don't have to skip over it to get to the Crew Report, and then come back.

I know, 1st Kerbal problems or what, but hey it's always the last one I click, so it should be at the very top.

So I just decided to install the plugin (just found it) and got my first alert on a crew report available... awesome. But I also noticed I was getting no EVA reports despite having a bunch of EVA that needed to be done and after testing I was definitely passing over areas where EVA needed to be done.

So I quit out, started up a new session, went to a ship that was in orbit over areas I needed to EVA time warped for a while, then saved and quit out.

The KSP.log, output_log.txt, settings.cfg (from the plugin) and savefile are available: https://docs.google.com/a/elfindreams.com/folderview?id=0B8a1K8EUgZmVczBjZzNXc3JiQzg&usp=drivesdk

So the plugin is definitely /working/ but just not on the EVAs.

So I just decided to install the plugin (just found it) and got my first alert on a crew report available... awesome. But I also noticed I was getting no EVA reports despite having a bunch of EVA that needed to be done and after testing I was definitely passing over areas where EVA needed to be done.

So I quit out, started up a new session, went to a ship that was in orbit over areas I needed to EVA time warped for a while, then saved and quit out.

The KSP.log, output_log.txt, settings.cfg (from the plugin) and savefile are available: https://docs.google.com/a/elfindreams.com/folderview?id=0B8a1K8EUgZmVczBjZzNXc3JiQzg&usp=drivesdk

So the plugin is definitely /working/ but just not on the EVAs.

Huh, it must be conflicting with something, I just put out a craft with a couple of goo, a couple of materials labs a command module and a kerbal onto the runway where I know I have done no science whatsoever. No alerts.

I then tried to run the experiments and got data from them all.

EDIT: on a lark I disabled SCANsat Integration and everything is working including the munar EVA reports.

Edited by elfindreams

EDIT: on a lark I disabled SCANsat Integration and everything is working including the munar EVA reports.

It actually sounds like it's working as intended. If you have SCANsat integration enabled, ScienceAlert won't alert you about biome-dependent experiments if you don't have the experiment area's biome scanned yet.

That said, I haven't tested ScienceAlert against SCANsat in 0.24 and I'm still updating (taking the opportunity to refactor a bit) so it's possible something broke. I'll check it out

SCANsat has been updated and will probably break the SCANsat integration here, though the changes should make it simpler and maybe cheaper to implement. Both versions use the same method for external SCANsat coverage checking, so it should be a simple enough fix.

It actually sounds like it's working as intended. If you have SCANsat integration enabled, ScienceAlert won't alert you about biome-dependent experiments if you don't have the experiment area's biome scanned yet.

That said, I haven't tested ScienceAlert against SCANsat in 0.24 and I'm still updating (taking the opportunity to refactor a bit) so it's possible something broke. I'll check it out

Ah, that's a neat feature... I hadn't thought that was what it was... cool. Probably is working as intended then.

Ah, that's a neat feature... I hadn't thought that was what it was... cool. Probably is working as intended then.

Another thing to be aware of is by default SA will only tell you about the first (see: most lucrative) science that can be gained on ones like Goo that can be done multiple times. You can change that behavior though.

looks to be an interesting mod and badly needed, can anyone confirm its working in .24?

I've been using this in .24 x64 and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Using with a multitude of mods that have been updated also - still working

Cheers for the quick turnaround and adding my request! :)

[EDIT]

I found a minor visual bug. When I have this set to the in-game toolbar, everything is fine. When I flip it to Blizzy's toolbar though the bottom flickers. The rest of the button bar looks okay and the buttons work fine.

I took some video and grabbed still images from it. Below are two sets of images, the top are from the launchpad and the bottom are from orbit. The left-right images were framegrabs from consecutive milliseconds in the video.

sciencealertbug.png

Edited by 5thHorseman

Okay, I have a question, its not a bug {I think} but I've noticed with your mod I'm seeing science I can't figure out how to get. if I sit on the launch pad, science alert pops says eva science, hit the button, kerbal pops out no science available. If I go to the science archieve, it shows eva report while flying over the launch pad. 0%, but anytime I'm in 'flight' over the launch pad, KSC, or runway, it just says in flight over kerbin's shores. How in the kracken's name do I get the in flight over KSC, Launchpad, and runway science?.

I found a minor visual bug. When I have this set to the in-game toolbar, everything is fine. When I flip it to Blizzy's toolbar though the bottom flickers. The rest of the button bar looks okay and the buttons work fine.

I'll look into this, thanks.

Okay, I have a question, its not a bug {I think} but I've noticed with your mod I'm seeing science I can't figure out how to get. if I sit on the launch pad, science alert pops says eva science, hit the button, kerbal pops out no science available.

What's most likely happening is that ScienceAlert is alerting you for EVA science available while on landed on the LaunchPad. When you pop out on EVA (and are holding onto a ladder/not on the ground), the game considers you to be flying. The static object "biomes" only count if you're landed on them so there is no way to get something like "eva report while flying over LaunchPad/KSC/etc".

I'll find out if the way ScienceAlert does things is somehow adding an impossible entry like that to the science archives. Fixing it shouldn't be hard if that's the case. Thanks for the feedback!

I'll look into this, thanks.

What's most likely happening is that ScienceAlert is alerting you for EVA science available while on landed on the LaunchPad. When you pop out on EVA (and are holding onto a ladder/not on the ground), the game considers you to be flying. The static object "biomes" only count if you're landed on them so there is no way to get something like "eva report while flying over LaunchPad/KSC/etc".

I'll find out if the way ScienceAlert does things is somehow adding an impossible entry like that to the science archives. Fixing it shouldn't be hard if that's the case. Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I'm aware of the flying while holding a ladder cheat/bug, but I'm talking about in the R+D building, in the archives, it shows an empty science report for EVA report while flying over KSC/Launchpad/and runway. but I can't figure out how to do those science reports. anytime I'm flying, or on a ladder flying over those areas all I can get is flying over kerbin's shores. I tried to take a screenshot, but apparently screenshots don't work in my game/since .24 released.

I don't know your mod is adding this to the game or if it's a hidden thing you're not supposed to be able to see in the stock game.

Finally got my screenshots saving again, so here we go:

9CQiZJv.jpg

This is the science report in question, flying over Launchpad.

Lz9lO2d.jpg

For just a second as you exit the craft, the science alert goes off and says EVA report, but then immediately goes away, and the only EVA report is:

Yg29oQQ.jpg

Flying over shores. It's a relatively minor thing, I'll admit, but my OCD goes off and I must collect every bit of science. I can't have even.1% of science uncollected. :(

Finally got my screenshots saving again, so here we go:

http://i.imgur.com/9CQiZJv.jpg

This is the science report in question, flying over Launchpad.

http://i.imgur.com/Lz9lO2d.jpg

For just a second as you exit the craft, the science alert goes off and says EVA report, but then immediately goes away, and the only EVA report is:

http://i.imgur.com/Yg29oQQ.jpg

Flying over shores. It's a relatively minor thing, I'll admit, but my OCD goes off and I must collect every bit of science. I can't have even.1% of science uncollected. :(

The same thing happens for me too, I just got used to it and ignore it ;)

For just a second as you exit the craft, the science alert goes off and says EVA report, but then immediately goes away

Could you set this situation up again? Press Alt+F2 to bring up the debug menu and then hop out on eva to get the report to temporarily appear again. There should be a mention of which experiment(s) exactly ScienceAlert thought was available along with some other info. It'll look like this:

[Log]: ScienceAlert, Experiment evaReport@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 2.4, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 2.4)

Knowing that would be a big help in tracking this down :)

I really LOVE the scansat integration, but something I wish it did was tell you what science was remaining to be done on a planet. Unless I'm missing something I would love to be able to see somewhere, maybe on the Science Archive screen, all the biomes I have now scanned which have unperformed experiments. Is this something that can be done or is there another mod that will do this?

Edited by OtakuD

Could you set this situation up again? Press Alt+F2 to bring up the debug menu and then hop out on eva to get the report to temporarily appear again. There should be a mention of which experiment(s) exactly ScienceAlert thought was available along with some other info. It'll look like this:

[Log]: ScienceAlert, Experiment evaReport@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 2.4, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 2.4)

Knowing that would be a big help in tracking this down :)

I just got off work, and sleep must happen, will look into this later today.

I really LOVE the scansat integration, but something I wish it did was tell you what science was remaining to be done on a planet. Unless I'm missing something I would love to be able to see somewhere, maybe on the Science Archive screen, all the biomes I have now scanned which have unperformed experiments. Is this something that can be done or is there another mod that will do this?

There's a Science Library mod somewhere. Perhaps that's what you're looking for?

That report shows up there because the science archive is not setup so great. It just checks for any existing science subjects stored in your persistent file and displays them. When Science Alert checks to see if a location has any science worth collecting it has to generate that science subject (I think?), and once it's been generated, regardless of whether or not you've actually collected any data, it will always show up.

Even if a particular result isn't possible, say you created some code that generated a "FlyingHigh" science report for the Mun, it would still show up in the archives.

SCANsat support (6.1 minimum)?

Definitely won't work with older versions of SCANsat.

I'm using this mod since a few days and it's really a big help! Many thanks for the great work.

But sometimes I just have to disable it because it can't switch between recoverable and transmittable data.

My problem is that i often use unmanned one-way probes to collect the first bits of data. These probes are not supposed to ever see Kerbin again and therefore the recoverable part of the science is irrelevant for these probes.

I would really love another global option where i can set if this ship is supposed to return to Kerbin (recovery part of the data is relevant like it is now) or if the ship is only supposed to transmit science (only transmit part of the data is relevant).