[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

I can add an option to switch the report value to display (and filter by) transmitted data value. Is that what you mean? Otherwise the reporting should work. If it's doing something that causes you to actually disable it, I'd like to hear more. Plenty of room for more user configurable options :D

I think what he wants (and it's a neat idea) is to be able to say "For this ship, right here. This one I'm on right now. Use this preset configuration of percentages." Then when you go to another ship, you can set it to a different pre-set configuration. And maybe another.

Then the user can set up a "nonreturning probes" config, and a "roving" config and an "ALL the science!" config and a "default" config, whatever.

The key here is that jumping back to the probe, once you've run 7 missions while waiting for that probe to get to Jool, will reset that probe's alerting percentages to whatever you have in the "nonreturing probe" config.

It kept popping for me saying an EVA report was to be done. And it kept cancelling MechJeb's warps.

Nothing.... cancels... MechJeb's warps. Refer to avatar face.

EDIT: Also, the EVA reports showed 0 science for me, too.

You can configure the global warp setting to prevent that. Interrupting MechJeb warps was one of the main reasons to add that particular feature, so you could easily just shut it off whenever you want without fiddling with each individual experiment setting

Now if I can find how to change the settings....

If you read my edit, I do believe there's an issue with the plugin, though. It was popping when there was no science to be had.

Edited by Rabblerouser

You can open the settings menu with a right-click on the button. Can you give me more details about the EVA issue? If you open the game's log (Alt+F2), you can see which experiment ScienceAlert thought became available. Does that match the report you're taking?

I think what he wants (and it's a neat idea) is to be able to say "For this ship, right here. This one I'm on right now. Use this preset configuration of percentages." Then when you go to another ship, you can set it to a different pre-set configuration. And maybe another.

Then the user can set up a "nonreturning probes" config, and a "roving" config and an "ALL the science!" config and a "default" config, whatever.

The key here is that jumping back to the probe, once you've run 7 missions while waiting for that probe to get to Jool, will reset that probe's alerting percentages to whatever you have in the "nonreturing probe" config.

Well such a config related to a ship would be luxury ;-) I would already be very happy if could just switch it in a global config.

It's just very annoying if i want to collect all transmittable science and have to dismiss 95% of the reports because there's only recoverable science left (Especially while flying over Mun or Minmus because of the amount of different biomes).

Well such a config related to a ship would be luxury ;-) I would already be very happy if could just switch it in a global config.

It's just very annoying if i want to collect all transmittable science and have to dismiss 95% of the reports because there's only recoverable science left (Especially while flying over Mun or Minmus because of the amount of different biomes).

Agreed... @#$#@$# Gravity Scans.

Could you set this situation up again? Press Alt+F2 to bring up the debug menu and then hop out on eva to get the report to temporarily appear again. There should be a mention of which experiment(s) exactly ScienceAlert thought was available along with some other info. It'll look like this:

[Log]: ScienceAlert, Experiment evaReport@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 2.4, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 2.4)

Knowing that would be a big help in tracking this down :)

Okay, now that my internet is working again today.. >_< I checked the alt f2 menu yesterday, and your mod is finding hidden science areas I'm having trouble uploading anything right now, but the f2 menu said science unavailable due to mask settings and and some such. I'll have logs and screens up later when the internet is being more friendly.

I had this mod while I tried to do the rescue a Kerbal from orbit contract, and I had two command pods on my craft. I missed the orbiting Kerbal, but came back with enough science to unlock a third of the tech tree! I felt like Scott Manley for a while... :) Love this mod!

Small bug. When using Blizzy's toolbar, the science menu pop up has some wild flickering. You can still kind of click on it but it's hard. Turning off Blizzy's toolbar corrects the problem.

It may just be an issue with the latest toolbar which is newer than this version of ScienceAlert.

Edited by Alshain

I haven't had a chance to look into that yet I'm afraid. I suspect it's the toolbar and not me though; previous versions of ScienceAlert were handling rect sizing in OnGUI incorrectly which led to minor flickers. All I did was fix that

[sortof edit] It'll probably be fixed in the next version of ScienceAlert regardless. I'm planning on moving from his drawable to my own window so users will be able to drag it around or pin it wherever they want

Edited by xEvilReeperx

I've been using this for a few hours and it's great. I have had a couple instances of being notified for an EVA opportunity which didn't find any science, but that could have just been that I wasn't getting outside fast enough. Otherwise it's been working great on 0.24.2 32bit.

I've been using this for a few hours and it's great. I have had a couple instances of being notified for an EVA opportunity which didn't find any science, but that could have just been that I wasn't getting outside fast enough. Otherwise it's been working great on 0.24.2 32bit.

That's exactly what it is, though in some cases (such as the canyons over the moon) it could be that ScienceAlert didn't kill your warp fast enough too. There is little it can do about it, it starts killing warp as soon as it knows the biome below you but KSP doesn't come to a dead halt.

That's exactly what it is, though in some cases (such as the canyons over the moon) it could be that ScienceAlert didn't kill your warp fast enough too. There is little it can do about it, it starts killing warp as soon as it knows the biome below you but KSP doesn't come to a dead halt.

To be clear, I'm not complaining about this, I recognize that the rate of orbit will mean that there will be times that you move past the biome too quickly. I could just raise my orbit to slow down and have more of an opportunity. I just wanted to say how excellent this plug-in works :cool:

To be clear, I'm not complaining about this, I recognize that the rate of orbit will mean that there will be times that you move past the biome too quickly. I could just raise my orbit to slow down and have more of an opportunity. I just wanted to say how excellent this plug-in works :cool:

I agree. I came across Science Alert while waiting for Science Library to update. Now I think I'm going to use the combination of both. Great work guys. Keep it up and, hold your head high.

I think I was possessed by Scott Manley last night - I went to the Mun and came back with over 600 science!!!!! This is the best mod ever! Now I'm going to take the same ship to Minmus and see what happens... I feel like I really accomplished something rather than feeling like I used a mod to cheat the system. Before this mod, I would feel lucky to have come back with 150 science.

Hi guys, I just want to add some more input about static object "biomes" bug.

This is what is saved in persistent.sfs after ScienceAlert popup

Science
{
id = evaReport@KerbinFlyingLowLaunchPad
title = EVA Report while flying over Kerbin's LaunchPad
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 5.6
}

Science
{
id = crewReport@KerbinFlyingLowLaunchPad
title = Crew Report while flying over Kerbin's LaunchPad
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 3.5
}
Science
{
id = temperatureScan@KerbinFlyingLowLaunchPad
title = Temperature Scan while flying over Kerbin's LaunchPad
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 5.6
}
Science
{
id = evaReport@KerbinFlyingLowRunway
title = EVA Report while flying over Kerbin's Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 5.6
}
Science
{
id = dmLaserScan@KerbinSrfSplashedRunway
title = Laser Surface Scan from Kerbin's Runway
dsc = 3
scv = 1
sbv = 0.4
sci = 0
cap = 2.4
}
Science
{
id = mobileMaterialsLab@KerbinSrfSplashedRunway
title = Materials Study from Kerbin's Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.4
sci = 0
cap = 12.8
}
Science
{
id = mysteryGoo@KerbinSrfSplashedRunway
title = Mystery Gooâ„¢ Observation from Kerbin's Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.4
sci = 0
cap = 5.2
}
Science
{
id = evaReport@KerbinFlyingLowKSC
title = EVA Report while flying over Kerbin's KSC
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 5.6
}
Science
{
id = crewReport@KerbinFlyingLowKSC
title = Crew Report while flying over Kerbin's KSC
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 3.5
}
Science
{
id = temperatureScan@KerbinFlyingLowKSC
title = Temperature Scan while flying over Kerbin's KSC
dsc = 1
scv = 1
sbv = 0.7
sci = 0
cap = 5.6
}

I started this save yesterday so this are not all phantom reports.

If "scv" value is manually edited to 0 and "sci" to "cap" value mod is not alerting me anymore about this.

Edit:

Err, did I just forgot to say how awesome is this mod. Shame on me.

Edited by uraa

I think I was possessed by Scott Manley last night - I went to the Mun and came back with over 600 science!!!!! This is the best mod ever! Now I'm going to take the same ship to Minmus and see what happens... I feel like I really accomplished something rather than feeling like I used a mod to cheat the system. Before this mod, I would feel lucky to have come back with 150 science.

Hey neamerjell and anyone reading this post. I guess I had a mega Scott Manley night last night. Using the combination of Science Alert and Science Library on a Mun mission with Explore the Mun contract, I came back from the Mun with almost 2000 science. I would recommend using both mods for maximum results. Maybe both mod makers should collaborate to make these mods into one. Reaper, you might want to contact SpiritOffice about that possibility. Both mods together make two good mods into a science getting beast. Fantastic work guys.:cool: