[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

I've found a resurgance of the "No alerts" bug that a previous version had. The dll reports its version as 1.7.0.0 but it's from 7/28 and came out of the recent zip so I think it's the current version.

I was on Minmus, EVA'd, and got science from the poles, then it stopped alerting. It DID alert me later in the same mission that I had a goo reading to take, though, so it's not quite so bad as it was. I uploaded my logs from after I was done to [defunct site link removed by moderator]

Also, the fix for the flickering bug I reported earlier has stopped the flickering on the buttons but it's causing the window to flicker between correctly sized and "one button too high". The bottom of the window jumps up and down about the height of a button.

And finally, a request: To go along with the EVA Reports being on the top, could we have an option for Surface Samples too? It could even be just in the same option as I want it up there for the same reason.

[EDIT]

One more request: Now that we have the added functionality of the alerter listing the biome, it'd be nice to be able to keep the drop down dropped down even when there is no science to do, just to see what biome we're in.

I've found a resurgance of the "No alerts" bug that a previous version had. The dll reports its version as 1.7.0.0 but it's from 7/28 and came out of the recent zip so I think it's the current version.

D'oh, there always seems to be a little oversight like that somewhere

I was on Minmus, EVA'd, and got science from the poles, then it stopped alerting. It DID alert me later in the same mission that I had a goo reading to take, though, so it's not quite so bad as it was.

Not sure what's going on there. The only thing I notice is some kind of exception having to do with a part's collider. It's possible that threw a wrench into ScienceAlert somehow. Anything you were doing in particular that triggered it? It looks like you were bouncing up and down in EVA at the poles at the time, then switched ships (got into your lander?)

One more request: Now that we have the added functionality of the alerter listing the biome, it'd be nice to be able to keep the drop down dropped down even when there is no science to do, just to see what biome we're in.

Yep, that's planned in the next version. You'll be able to drag the window somewhere and pin it there if you want it to stay open

Not sure what's going on there. The only thing I notice is some kind of exception having to do with a part's collider. It's possible that threw a wrench into ScienceAlert somehow. Anything you were doing in particular that triggered it? It looks like you were bouncing up and down in EVA at the poles at the time, then switched ships (got into your lander?)

Sorry, I have a terrible memory. I recorded the situtation I reported above but it was not the problem I thought it was. The problem on Minmus was actually that after taking an eva report, the Alerter kept alerting me that there was an EVA report to take. I could click the button but not actually take it. This was after storing Slopes EVA and Surface Samples, and flying (in his jetpack) over the poles. I'm CERTAIN* that I also had the other problem and I'll watch for it next time it happens.

Yep, that's planned in the next version. You'll be able to drag the window somewhere and pin it there if you want it to stay open

Sweet. Sounds good.

*okay I'm not certain. Rewatching the video makes me question my sanity because I was SURE it happened right there :D

I have to admit, I was a little startled to see this integrated into the stock toolbar but in this instance I like it a lot because it is bigger and easier to click and see when it goes off and in a location that I am regularly looking at anyways, the other toolbar I only look at when I need something. Way to go on an amazing mod!

5thHorseman said:

I was on Minmus, EVA'd, and got science from the poles, then it stopped alerting. It DID alert me later in the same mission that I had a goo reading to take, though, so it's not quite so bad as it was. I uploaded my logs from after I was done to [defunct site link removed by moderator]

xEvilReeperx said:
5thHorseman said:
Rewatching the video makes me question my sanity because I was SURE it happened right there :D

My sanity is intact! Or at least not in danger because of this. I was slightly off on when exactly it happened but it was in this mission and should be contained in this log. In the below spoiler is a link to a youtube video and with luck it'll jump you to 31:30. Watch for about 5-10 seconds after that and you'll see ScienceAlert not alert me to EVA science that is available.

Found a slight bug: I have -- as my crew aboard a vessel -- Jebediah, Bill and Neddun. Jeb and Bill are both sitting in a mobile processing lab, Neddun is in a command module.

When I click the EVA button in Science Alert to do an EVA report, it makes Jebediah EVA. The only problem is that he ends up EVAing out of the Command Module, not the Mobile Processing Lab... except since he wasn't in the command module in the first place, he doesn't get removed from the ship. So, in short, I end up with two Jebs. (Before I noticed this I ended up with two Bills as well.)

I'm also running Crew Manifest (which is how I moved them to the science lab in the first place) so it's possible that it's contributing to the problem, but the problem persisted even after cleaning up my persistence file and testing it again.

I suspect EVA report targets the first crew member it finds (which is okay), but doesn't identify where they're housed correctly to determine where they EVA from?

I suspect EVA report targets the first crew member it finds (which is okay), but doesn't identify where they're housed correctly to determine where they EVA from?

A random one is selected and then ScienceAlert calls a KSP API function which is supposed to handle the spawning and the removing from vessel bit. I'll definitely look into this. Thanks for the bug report! I'm rather surprised it wasn't caught until now

getting a crash from either this mod or mechjeb... is there a place in the crash log I can check or a way I can upload it? I only have the 2 mods installed.

I haven't heard of any problems with 64 bit but it's possible. Is this on Win64?

Watch for about 5-10 seconds after that and you'll see ScienceAlert not alert me to EVA science that is available.

Very helpful! I think I know what's going on here and am doing some testing to be sure

Your output_log.txt would be helpful. When exactly does it freeze? Immediately upon entering flight?
It's pretty random.. sometimes it would freeze when entering game (the KSC complex when loading career/sandbox) , sometimes when I tried to load a craft, and sometimes when going to the launch pad, always on the transitional screen. I'll PM you the full text Edited by Bob Jub

Your output_log.txt would be helpful. When exactly does it freeze? Immediately upon entering flight?

Hi xEvilReeperx ;)

I have a similar issue with KSP 64bits on the launchpad. It doesn't appear in my output_log because the game doesn't have time to load the mod. My tests were done with and without the mod, on KSP 0.24.2 (fresh install for the test) 32bits and 64bits. In 32bits, the mod works perfectly :)

Sorry for my bad english.

I am having what seems to be a compatibility problem between this mod "ScienceAlert" and Universal Containers. It's mainly just an annoyance at this point, but if you're working on a new version anyway, a fix would be great!

The issue occurs when using the Universal Containers' version of Goo, Materials, Too Hot, etc..

For example and context, using the Squad goo container, if I have 2 or 3 loaded on a ship, getting a Goo notification from Science Alert, I can do science on the first from the notification. later in the flight, a second notification lets me key off the second goo, and a third also let's me key off the third goo. No problems.

using the UC version of goo, the first goo fires off just fine. Later in the flight when I get a second notification from Science Alert, when pressing the alert button I get a message saying something similar to "There are no materials available" (Sorry, i didn't write it down and am not in a position to test it at the moment.) I can do the experiment directly from the available UC goo Canister normally though.

The same thing happens with the UC Materials and other experiments.

Also the UC Version of the TooHot thermometer also behaves similarly, but also seems to trigger notifications even if all the thermometers have been used. For goo and Materials, if all the canisters have been used then I don't receive science available notifications as normal.

I'll also post a link here in the UC thread in case the issue is more on the UC side.

Thanks for the mod! It's one of my favorites.

Wolfschadowe

Interesting bug just happened... I copied my KSP save and mods directories from my home PC and brought them to my work PC. After loading up my save file and transferring to my ship via the Space Center, the ScienceAlert button does not show.

I attempted to delete and re-install the mod. I even re-installed the game fresh, using a fresh download of the mod, but nothing gets it to show up. I haven't done anything different to the save other than to transfer it. I quite a few mods installed, but they did not conflict before. I edited Engineer to not use the stock toolbar (only mod I have that uses it) to see if that would get it to show, and still nothing.

I launched a new ship on the current save, and the ScienceAlert button DID show. So this bug of it not showing only occurred when switching to my in-flight ship.

I exited my save (without restarting the whole game), and started a new one, and the ScienceAlert button is where it should be.

If you need more info, please let me know what I can do.

Edited by scerion

Getting an interesting bug and not sure what is causing it, but I just started a new save and I am getting two ScienceAlert icons in my KSP Toolbar. I don't have two copies installed so not sure what is causing it. However if I switch to using blizzy's toolbar and then back to KSP's toolbar it will only show 1 icon but when I launch a new vehicle it shows two once again.

Getting an interesting bug and not sure what is causing it, but I just started a new save and I am getting two ScienceAlert icons in my KSP Toolbar. I don't have two copies installed so not sure what is causing it. However if I switch to using blizzy's toolbar and then back to KSP's toolbar it will only show 1 icon but when I launch a new vehicle it shows two once again.

This happened to me too when I had two different versions of ModuleManager in my GameData directory.

I am having what seems to be a compatibility problem between this mod "ScienceAlert" and Universal Containers. It's mainly just an annoyance at this point, but if you're working on a new version anyway, a fix would be great!

I'll have a look at this

Interesting bug just happened... I copied my KSP save and mods directories from my home PC and brought them to my work PC. After loading up my save file and transferring to my ship via the Space Center, the ScienceAlert button does not show.

[...]

If you need more info, please let me know what I can do.

Your output_log would be very helpful. I can't think of why it would work in one save but not in another...

but I just started a new save and I am getting two ScienceAlert icons in my KSP Toolbar. I don't have two copies installed so not sure what is causing it. However if I switch to using blizzy's toolbar and then back to KSP's toolbar it will only show 1 icon but when I launch a new vehicle it shows two once again.

Are they both the exact same icon (same quality, same style)? Do they both change states? It's possible that it's some issue with a new version of the toolbar. I'll check it out

Your output_log would be very helpful. I can't think of why it would work in one save but not in another...

Actually its not even just the save, but that one ship in flight. I can throw down a new ship and it shows up upon launch. But no matter what I do, the one in flight already (its the only one i have, minus a bunch of flags).

Output log zipped up for download here (it's my own personal server):

http://teknosounds.com/dropbox/output_log.zip

Actually its not even just the save, but that one ship in flight. I can throw down a new ship and it shows up upon launch. But no matter what I do, the one in flight already (its the only one i have, minus a bunch of flags).

ScienceAlert is failing to start because there is apparently a duplicated experiment id when KSP tries to load science experiments. I added code to check for exactly this situation (and tell what the exact problem is) but sadly this exception is thrown outside of that net. I'll fix that.

Do any of your science experiments on that ship work? I'd expect all of your experiments to be having problems on every save, but it's possible another mod is editing something on the fly

ScienceAlert is failing to start because there is apparently a duplicated experiment id when KSP tries to load science experiments. I added code to check for exactly this situation (and tell what the exact problem is) but sadly this exception is thrown outside of that net. I'll fix that.

Do any of your science experiments on that ship work? I'd expect all of your experiments to be having problems on every save, but it's possible another mod is editing something on the fly

Oooo I found a real bug!

Just got home from work, firing up KSP to test.

Keep getting that crash with science alert, game tries to load and dies before space center.

How sure are you that this is ScienceAlert? There is a bit of code that runs on scene changes but if it's the cause of the 64 bit crash that some people are apparently having, it would crash the game either immediately or as soon as you hit the main menu